Flashpoint: Entire Series thread

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Jul 23, 2011.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    [this show can't sustain a season thread, much less an episode thread. Series thread it is!]

Beware: Spoilers for any episode aired in the US are possible in this thread.

I know there are a few of us watching, and this is a show that rarely (never?) calls for a thread. But...

The last couple weeks have had a glaring similarity, something we've not really seen in 3-4 years. Flash mobs. Flash mobs who race out of control, and completely overwhelm any police presence. Once would be different; twice in a row seems... unusual.

Last week had that mob at the court house that attacked the police trying to protect a defendant. The mob got ugly quick, to the point of bashing & burning a police vehicle, with total disregard for the life of the cop inside. The police could not control anything.

This week we have flash mobs protecting "JD", again rushing a police cordon, breaking thru, with total disregard for their own safety.

In both cases, common sense says no mob like that is going to attack a police presence. Heck, they weren't even really involved mobs (like say Rodney King or Watts), they were flash-type mobs. Additionally, there was some really bitter anti-police vitriol being spewed by both mobs.

I found both situations totally ridiculous. Are Canadians really that bitter towards their police forces? Do flash mobs in Toronto just start whacking away at police lines, busting thru and creating havoc for no real reason?

It's a lightweight show, and easy and fun to watch. It just seems like these last two eps are out of the box for them.

2. leeherman

leeherman Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I just picked up on the show largely because I enjoyed Enrico Colantoni in "Veronica Mars" and I've been going through the first season on Netflix. So far I'm enjoying this show too.

I probably won't get to the now current shows until they hit Netflix!

LH

3. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    I could never be in charge of a unit like theirs. As soon as I had a sniper with a clear shot and there was a perp waving a gun around I'd give the order to take them out. For me the movie John Q. would have been 10 minutes long.

4. allonon

allonon Who ME?

Nov 23, 2001
    campbell,...
    I didn't think this so much as a flash mob versus mob mentality. Mob mentality is well known for people doing things that they would not do normally but the perceived safety of a large group and tsunami of emotion created by a extremely large group coming together for a common cause they feel inspired to now act out.

I wouldn't consider it rediculous. You did see the riots after the Stanley Cup loss right?

5. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    The second half of the 4th season started tonight, on ION, instead of CBS.
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=477153

For the first time I can recall, certainly in a few years, they didn't start with the end, then cut back with a "Six Hours Ago". This was non-stop from the beginning. Good episode.

Glad ION picked this up.:up:

6. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I didn't even notice the lack of the flashback---but you're right. Actually, I thought that was the whole idea of the series---it shows the moment of maximum crisis (the "flashpoint") and then the events leading up to it.

7. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    Is CBS no longer going to show them?

Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to adjust my season pass.

8. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Crap. I've been lamenting the fact that CBS has dropped the show. And I don't get ION. Maybe I did when I still had DirecTV.

Is there a place online to watch it?

9. verdugan

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    boo hoo. ION is not in High Definition. :mad:

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It is here!

11. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Glad to see ION pick this up.

I can't tell if it's in Hi-Def (I still watch an SDTV), looks like it might be.
    Unfortunately, sound is Pro-Logic II, not DD 5.1. :(

12. verdugan

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    Which provider do you have? I have Directv.

13. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Comcast Cable.

14. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Comcast Houston, also HD.

I also recorded it on DirecTV, but deleted it unwatched (since I had watched it on TiVo/Comcast), so I don't know if that's HD or not. I'll check next week.

15. verdugan

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    Boo hoo to Directv then.

16. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I get Ion in 720p both on Time-Warner and OTA.

17. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Interesting episode this week. Back to the traditional start-in-the-middle-of-the-story format...

18. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Four hours earlier...

And Wordy was back. I wonder what the story is on him. Why they wrote him out, why he's back?

19. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Guess he didn't want the full-time job any more?

20. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    IIRC his character was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and he wanted to leave the team on his own terms before he could no longer do his job.