Flashing display on monitor

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Tipperton, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

Because I am blind I normally don't have a TV or monitor hooked up to my Bolt DVR. Instead I have a Bose Solo 5 sound bar hooked up and the Tivo remote set up to control it in place of a TV or home theater system.

I know that there will be times when I need help from a sighted person be they a friend or a tech from the cable company, so I bought a small 7 inch monitor that I can easily pull out and hook up when needed. The monitor I have is a Kuman SC7J-7inch-US.

The problem I am experiencing is that the display and audio flashes in and out at regular intervals when it is hooked up to the Bolt DVR. Thinking that this meant that there was a resolution problem I have tried all the available resolution setting on the Bolt but nothing works to stop the flashing. I have also tried several different HDMI cables, but again no joy.

The joke of a manual that comes with the monitor (all of one page) was also of no help.

Does anyone have any ideas about what else I could try to resolve this problem?

Thanks!

2. High Technology

High Technology Member

Apr 16, 2006
    The issue may very well be the resolution. i don't have any first-hand knowledge of this monitor, but it seems that it is a 1024 x 600 device, and while it has HDMI, it may not support any of the resolutions that the Bolt can produce via HDMI.

Since it was designed for Raspberry Pi / computer use, it may accept common computer resolutions, but might not support US consumer electronics resolutions (1280 x 720 and 720 x 480P) via HDMI. Those may be limited to analog connections, which the Bolt doesn't support.

3. Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017
    Hmm... I'll have to find someone to help me browse through the available settings for the monitor as Kuman support suggested changing the monitor's resolution.

I hope that the menu will work even if nothing is attached to the monitor.

Thanks!

4. High Technology

High Technology Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Most HDMI-capable devices will handshake with each other, so there may not be something in the menu of the monitor for this. Rather it's probably the menu in the Bolt that will help. I know you said someone tried all of the settings for you, but perhaps worth doing this again just to be sure.

First, ask someone to check if your Bolt is set for AUTO in the Settings > Audio & Video > Video Resolution. If it is set to a fixed resolution, changing it to AUTO might solve the flashing problem.

If it is already set to AUTO, then have that person set it to it's lowest resolution, which is 480P. It may be that the monitor isn't properly handshaking with the Bolt, but forcing 480P is the "lowest common denominator" that nearly all devices support.

5. Tipperton

Tipperton Member

May 23, 2017

Advertisements

I know that the display is set to auto. I did try each of the fixed options as well as the auto option but none of them stopped the flashing.