Flash No More...

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by AnotherBostonGuy, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Nov 9, 2011 #1 of 29
    AnotherBostonGuy

AnotherBostonGuy New Member

May 5, 2010
    So no more Adobe Flash. Ahem.

On the upside, maybe we could snag a Flash expert or two from the 750+ Adobe employees who are being laid off.

2. Nov 9, 2011 #2 of 29
    SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    That's not even remotely true.

3. Nov 9, 2011 #3 of 29
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Please don't spread information that isn't remotely true.

4. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    No more Flash development for MOBILE devices and TV's. This does NOT change the PC's or Web access.

5. AnotherBostonGuy

May 5, 2010
    Saying it's not even remotely true is in itself not true.

How many Flash developers will be left at Adobe once the 750 are laid off?

See the article titled, "Not just mobile: Adobe is abandoning Flash on TVs as well".

To quote Adobe:

“Adobe will continue to support existing licensees who are planning on supporting Flash Player for web browsing on digital home devices and are using the Flash Player Porting Kit to do so. However we believe the right approach to deliver content on televisions is through applications, not a web browsing experience, and we will continue to encourage the device and content publishing community down that path.”

From the article (http://gigaom.com/video/flash-tv-future/):
    "Adobe’s efforts to bring Flash to connected TVs, Blu-ray players and other devices, like its mobile Flash plans, were part of its Open Screen Project, which aimed to create a consistent app runtime across multiple devices. The idea was that developers would be able to create a Flash application once and be able to distribute it across web browsers, mobile devices and TVs."

That should sound familiar.

Would you develop a Flash-based product strategy today?

The whole raison d'ĂȘtre of Flash was cross platform compatibility - develop once and deploy on many devices. That's gone.

So when I say, so no more Adobe Flash - I'm saying the platform is a dead end. Period.

6. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Probably kept it going just until Jobs was dead.

7. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    So flash it no more? Tell me how that is remotely true.

And the fact that they discontinued it on Mobile and TV devices does not have any affect on TiVo's use of Flash Lite.

8. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Adobe will not be doing any new development on their mobile flash platform. They will continue to support the desktop version. I do not know how this will affect how Tivo goes forward, with some luck it means they will take the Premiere line off that platform and to something that is better. I have never been a fan of flash, it has always been a memory/CPU hog. Tons of memory leaks in it. I use a Flash Block in my browser. Hopefully this with end up making the Premieres stronger products.

9. AnotherBostonGuy

May 5, 2010
    With 4000+ posts and another 5000+ from SullyND, I see this isn't the Tivo Community Forum, but it's the Rainwater and SullyND forum, since you basically make a comment on every post.

I'm not going to go back and forth with you for another 1,000 messages since you'll win that battle.

The fact that you say that it does not have any affect on Tivo's use of Flash Lite, completely misses the point. It should have an effect on Tivo's use of Flash Lite. If you don't think it should, then there's nothing I can talk to you about technology wise.

10. Drewster

Drewster Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2000
    SoCal
    I have always felt that TiVo's decision to use Flash-based menus was ill-considered.

This announcement confirms that to be the case.

11. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Actually, Adobe is really pushing their Flash + Air development kits. That is what Broadcom is moving to in their new chips as well. It is still unclear if the Broadcom chip TiVo uses can be upgraded to support Air instead of Flash Lite. So if anything, it is just a shame that TiVo wasn't able to use the generation of chips that came after the one they used. But that is the life of hardware development.

12. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    Cuckoo, Cuckoo, Cuckoo

13. SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    LOL. There are over 250 users with more posts than either of us, and the top poster on this forum has over 70,000 posts.

14. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    One point in this whole discussion is true... There are now 750 expert Flash coders looking for work. Maybe TiVo can pick up a couple and finally get the UI working the way it should have all along.

Dan

15. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I think to increase the speed, they need to pay Broadcom instead. I doubt Flash developers would be a major help with the hardware TiVo choose. Getting better drivers and better cpu management with flash on the broadcom chip is definitely the biggest problem.

16. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    They know what needs to be done to speed up the HDUI. Evidence is currently being deployed on Virgin's 15.2 software.

Here is a very good article related to the Adobe announcement and its ramifications to the TiVo platform.

http://www.techofthehub.com/2011/11/adobe-flash-and-connected-devices.html

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I wasn't actually referring to the speed, although that would be nice. I was actually referring to it's incompleteness. My biggest gripe with the HDUI is that it's only 1/2 finished (if that) and my TV freaks out when it switches from the HDUI to the old UI. Until the complete UI is done in HD I'm sticking to the old one.

Dan

18. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The whole point of using flash was the ease of creating UIs. I don't think the problem is a lack of skilled developers able to finish the HD UI. I think the problem is TiVo has spent zero resources in the last year to complete it. I guess they thought they could get by with what they had but they have gotten nothing but bad publicity since then. Perhaps they finally were swayed by this to actually complete it.

19. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I thought this too. However it's been a year and a half since the Premiere was released and not one screen has been added to the UI since it's initial release. (looks like the Virgin TiVo might have got a new live guide, but that's it) Given that a LOT of TiVo's initial success was based on the ease of use of their UI it seems odd that they would neglect such an major portion of the product for so long. I just don't understand what their reasoning is here.

Dan

20. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Perhaps TiVo has concluded that ease of creating UIs isn't everything. Flash presumably allowed them to create the HDUI more easily, but it runs slowly and awkwardly because it can't handle asynchronous multithreading. A UI like their old ones that is fast and easy for us to use isn't necessarily easy for them to program, at least not with Flash.