Flash Gordon Pilot 8/11/2007

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Aug 11, 2007.

1. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

I watched this today. Immediately afterwards, my TiVo jumped off the tv stand, ran across the living room and punched me in the face 4 or 5 times.

Ugh.

2. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I am about to watch it right now. After reading your post, I wish I would have recorded it on my Series 2 instead of my Series 3 - my Series 2 is on the bottom of the pile of electronics, the Series 3 is on the top. :/

3. flyers088

flyers088 tcf junior member

Apr 18, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    That was one big bag of suck.

4. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    I think they blew their budget buying the rights to use the Queen music in the promos.

Yeah, sucked bad.

5. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002

Advertisements

I didn't think it was so bad. It was reasonably entertaining, had some pretty girls (especially the one who plays Aura) and a good enough storyline. Yeah, I had low expectations, but at least they were met. SP stays. :)

The only thing I really disliked was that Ming was so bland.

6. flyers088

flyers088 tcf junior member

Apr 18, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    -I'm not liking the whole back and forth between Earth and Mongo.
    -I didn't think Whitney could be any worse than he was in Smallville, but I was wrong.
    -Using an RV for surveillance???
    -IMEX? Come on hold out the clues a little longer!!
    -Why does he even have a mom in the show, she is worthless and he wooden acting only got better when being controlled by the alien.
    -Where are they going to take this show?? Search for father will get boring quickly.
    -Ming the Merciless??? Are you kidding me!!!
    -Alien bounty hunter who will probably become his ally? Haven't seen that before!!

I know there is plenty more, but why waste time with a show that will not be on long enough to care about it. They could throw on reruns of SG-1 and I would watch before this waste of time.

7. Schmye Bubbula

Schmye Bubbula Member

Oct 14, 2004
    I read somewhere today that Sci-Fi chose this drek over Caprica.

8. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I guess I set my expectations so low that I actually kind of liked it. Not in a "I'll be sorry if it gets canceled" way, but in a "there isn't much on anyway" kind of way.

9. DLL66

DLL66 Member

Oct 20, 2002
    TN

LMAO!!!! :up: :D

+1

10. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    That's about the level of commitment/interest that I have too after seeing it. :)

And I agree that the jumping between earth and Mongo is an annoying cop-out.

11. weymo

weymo timeshifter

Jan 26, 2003
    Atlanta
    Okay.
    Um...pretty damn bad. At an hour and a half, I think I would have rather rewatched the 80's movie.
    A pilot should hook us...but this...this was wooden, stilted, and well...a bit boring. I haven't watched the old serials or read the comics so I don't know if this storyline goes back to something original or if this is all new revision for the characters. If it is, the update is rough. I get the feeling that this pilot was never meant to air. The actors seem motivation-free.
    And yes, what the heck did they do to Ming. He's some minor despot instead of a bigger than life devil. Where are the spaceship and the conquered worlds?
    Way disappointed.
    I'm afraid this is fated for canceldom...but I will give it another episode before fully canceling on this timewaster.
    This had potential...like Battlestar Galactica...to be a wholly new and updated idea of the classic...but instead we got Sliders without Jerry O'Connell.

12. Apulo

Apulo New Member

Feb 4, 2003
    I was wondering if the producers put out a worldwide casting call for cute girls that can't act because that seems to be what they ended up with.

13. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
    If your TiVo refused to record this mess, the pilot is free on iTunes or $1.99 on Unbox.

14. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the iTunes tip!

I just watched it. OK, I'll join the minority and say it wasn't THAT bad. It's certainly the weakest "Flash Gordon" ever made though. The 1980 movie was A LOT more enjoyable.

Here's what I didn't like about it:

1) YES, the guy that plays Ming is HORRIBLY miscast. He should have been older and BALD. Max Von Sydow was the quintessential Ming. This guy isn't even close. He kept reminding me of "Joachim" from "The Wrath of Khan."

2) The whole rift idea is HORRIBLE. That's all I say because I know everyone agrees on this point. ;)

3) What city is this supposed to be in? Is it *supposed* to be Canada? If not, is it too much to ask to have the actors pronounce "out" instead of "oat" and "about" instead of "aboat?" I'm really tired of producers or whomever tells the actors to NOT worry about it thinking that we "Yanks" don't notice. I do. It's an ear sore!

4) Some of the effects were actually pretty good. Some (such as the matte composites of the city during "crowd" scenes) were horrible.

5) Speaking of crowd scenes, every scene that didn't involve solely the main cast looked terribly amateur. In other words, they didn't wrangle extras very well at all.

6) Does anyone care about marathons anymore?

7) My biggest beef is this seems to be a remake of the movie version of "Masters of the Universe." Instead of looking for the cosmic key, they're looking for the "Imex." Where's the sense of danger?? Come on, take over the Earth or something!!!

Other than those things (some of them splitting hairs, I'll admit), it was a modest diversion from reality on a Sunday afternoon and I'll keep watching for a few more episodes.

On the positive side, I think they cast it pretty well....in terms of people "looking" the part. Although Eric Johnson isn't the greatest actor, he definitely looks like a Flash Gordon. And hey, he DOES act better than Sam J. Jones in my opinion. ;)

Question: is Dale Arden's co-worker related to Lexa Doig?

Anyway, it'll get better if they at least shave Ming and drop the rift idea.

BONUS: Aura is INDEED quite attractive! She was my favorite character actually. I liked her acting style. She was fun to watch.

15. Krosis

Krosis The Bearded One TCF Club

May 9, 2004
    Illinois
    Being a SciFi channel production I had very low expectations and as such was actually pleasantly surprised. It was actually watchable. I don't like the wormhole idea, and all in all the show was pretty mediocre, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected :D

16. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Well it wasn't that bad, but not great either.

17. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Hey, the guy wasn't a spy and he was weird....what do you expect.

I kinda liked this in a campy sorta way.

18. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I think the casting couch got a serious workout for this show.

19. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    My expectations were pretty low, and I didn't think it was that bad. Much better than painkiller jane, not as good as dresden files, slightly better than stargate: atcrapis. Put me squarely in the "will probably continue to watch it if I have nothing better to do" column.

20. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    All I can say is this...... *puke*

Awful, won't watch again!