Flaky network?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by tomhorsley, Sep 15, 2010.

1. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010

Advertisements

Every so often my Premiere will show me a warning when I'm in "My Shows" that
    says it isn't connected to the network, then a second later it will go away, then
    come back, etc. It will do that for a little while, then settle down and stay connected.

This is on the same router/dhcp/dns that all my other equipment is on, and nothing
    else is having network problems like this (hard wired to cable modem - no wireless
    involved).

Is this a common issue, or am I gonna come home someday soon and find the
    network interface has completely died?

2. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...
    I get this every once in a while too, and like you, I don't have any other problems on my network.

Sometimes I also get a blank discovery bar on the main screen (just black) without getting the message that there is no network.

3. photosurrealism

photosurrealism New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Is it on DHCP? Does giving it a fixed IP make it work better? If so and you can change the settings on your DHCP server, up the default (and max) lease time to make it less sensitive to brief network glitches.

You can set those ridiculously high on most home networks because the "D" (dynamic) part of DHCP isn't as important as the automatic part. (And the number of new devices is probably way smaller than the pool size.)

4. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...
    You may have hit on something with the re-leasing of the IP issue with DHCP... I know mine is set to one day, I believe. I'll have to do some playing around with this... good thought!

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

My Premieres have DHCP reservations and I also set my lease times to thirty days.(43200 minutes)

6. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I finally got around to looking closer at DHCP, and it looks like the tivo doesn't bother to renew the lease when it expires. Both my tivo and my router had been up for days, but the router didn't show an active lease for the tivo.

Anyway, I change the tivo to a static IP, and I'll see if I ever see the network down messages again.

7. sampai

sampai New Member

Mar 18, 2007
    I'm seeing the same problem. Switching to a static IP instead of DHCP doesn't help. Still looking for a solution...

8. sampai

sampai New Member

Mar 18, 2007
    Figured it out! It was the TiVo Wireless N Adapter I had connected to the TiVo. It was flaky.

I replaced it with an Airport Express, as an Ethernet bridge, and everything works fine!