Flakey remote?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by psimon, Jan 3, 2006.

1. psimon

psimon Paul

Nov 28, 2005

Advertisements

Has anyone had the issue of the TiVO remote going flakey? My TiVO is all of a month or so old and I need to press the TV power button sometimes more than a few times for the TV to get the hint and either turn on or off.

All thoughts appreciated....

---Paul in Southern NJ

2. simonalope

simonalope New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    People's...
    Apologies if you've already tried this fairly basic fix, but have you tried fresh batteries? Those are pretty classic symptoms of a remote with dying batteries.
    If that doesn't fix it, you can check for other IR-emitting devices in the room that could be confusing the TiVo (such as another remote stuck under a couch pillow or something), but I would think you'd see even wackier behavior if IR interference were the culprit.

3. psimon

psimon Paul

Nov 28, 2005
    Its only the "TV Power" button. All other functions work properly, both with the TiVo and TV.

I didn't try it, but I suspect bad batteries would give me problems on more buttons and functions.

Thanks for the suggestions.....

---Paul in Southern NJ

4. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Might be helpful for us to know the manufacturer and model number of your TiVo.

5. psimon

psimon Paul

Nov 28, 2005

Advertisements

TiVo TCD540040

6. simonalope

simonalope New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    People's...
    Ah, sorry, didn't realize it was just that one button. Any chance someone spilled something on the remote? I once had to take a remote (not from TiVo) apart to swap it clean after spilling sweetened condensed milk on it, causing some of the keys to stick. (Note to self: always wrap remote in cling wrap when watching TV while baking.)
    If your TiVo is just a month old and there isn't any obviously user-inflicted damage to the remote, you could probably get a replacement under warranty.