Fixing football delays

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rbienstock, Sep 16, 2007.

1. rbienstock

rbienstock Member

May 8, 2007
    I generally record "Cold Case" and "Shark" on Sunday nights, but the problem is that in the fall/winter, these shows don't come on at their normally scheduled time, because the Sunday afternoon football game on CBS always runs late. When I had a SA 8300, this wasn't a big problem because I could schedule both shows to run 1 hour extra, and the unit would only extend "Cold Case" in those instances where it wasn't followed by "Shark" (or "Without A Trace" which I also did this with). So if both extended shows aired back to back, only the later show would actually get extended. I didn't do anything to make this happen, it just did, but it may have been caused by my having other shows scheduled on another channel at the same times. TiVo works differently. With both shows extended, the unit wants to record the two shows on separate tuners, which has the effect of recording the same thing on both tuners at the same time. While this may be more "correct" as the recorder is explicitly following my instructions, it does waste the second tuner. To correct for this, I have only extended "Shark" and not "Cold Case." That's fine except for instances where "Cold Case" is on but "Shark" isn't. Is there a way, other than manual recording, to correct for these football delays?

2. tootal2

tootal2 Active Member

Oct 14, 2005
    I record those same shows. But the football game makes the shows start late. So i only get the last 30min or so. there should be a fix for this.

3. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Pad the last program of the evening by an hour.

Only way to do this is go into the ToDo list and see if both are scheduled to record, if so, pad Shark by an hour, if Shark isn't recording (rerun or other program there) pad Cold Case by an hour.

You can also guess if any padding will be needed by seeing what football games are on that day.
    If your affiliate only has the early game, no padding needed, if they only have the late game or a double header, pad the hour.

There is no way for TiVo to instantly know if the program is starting late due to football, let alone let all the millions of TiVo's know of this in time to fix it.

You could always move west, as the Mountain and Pacific time zones aren't usually affected by this.
    Pacific, almost never, Mountain only if Football goes 2+ hours long.

phox

4. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    I'm sorta laughing, as I'm part of the guilty party. I edit for both NFL on CBS and my main gig is 60 MINUTES. My answer to this dilemna is to record CBS on one tuner for 7pm to 1am every Sunday night. I used to do that on a VHS machine when I only had a S1 TiVo, but now w/the S3 this works out very well. The other tuner does whatever else needs to be done, with the priority on NBC or ABC shows as the cable networks always repeat their stuff sometime later.

5. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Yeah, in the Mountain time zone you get to miss the first two minutes of every show because the local affiliates like to start everything early.

6. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Only 1 minute here.

Unless it's ratings, then it becomes closer to 3 minutes.

I just know to start every 7pm program 2 minutes early, usually works.

phox

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    How can you fix it? This has been happening for decades. I just do what I did 20+ years ago and set a large recording time period to make sure I get the shows. Unless you can see into the future there is no way to know how long the game will last.
    At least the TiVo makes it much easier than it was 20+ years ago.