Five Features that could Revolutionize TiVo Again

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by sbiller, May 15, 2011.

1. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  2. FierceDeityLink1

FierceDeityLink1 New Member

May 6, 2011
    Yeah, maybe if they fixed everything else, they could focus on the less useful/important things like social media.

Apple TV, Google TV, and the Boxee box are all horrible things to try to imitate.

3. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    A new remote control? the current one works quite well.

An app store? They have no chance of beating Android to market on this.

Web browser? Android, again.

Social networking? What does this have to do with Tivo.

Uploading to the "cloud"? I don't think content providers are going to find this a good idea.

In short, I just don't see much in this blog post that is relevant. They're all variations on a theme of the app store (once you have the app store, his remaining points are all apps that would be developed by third parties). Tivo is too late to roll it's own app store. Android and Apple are far ahead of the game. My ipad already has HDMI-out to my TV, so I already have an app store on my TV. Granted, it costs me about $700, but that's beside the point.

4. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Uploading to the cloud? Like smbaker mentioned, content owners would just *LOVE* that one. Not to mention the ISPs, with their bandwidth caps. An hour of HD takes up about 6-7 GBs. How many hours of programming are people REALLY going to upload in a month? Any then redownload in order to watch?
    And a web browser? I don't know. I had the original Dish Network Dishplayer 7100 when they first came out. Browsing for me was a NIGHTMARE-mainly because the browser would cause the entire device to crash and restart so often. I missed quite a few recordings before I finally said the heck with it and bought a stand alone Webtv (Computers were still too much back then). I still don't trust web browsers on my DVR.
    Integrated Wi-Fi, I DO agree with. I STILL prefer hardwired ethernet, but I know a lot prefer (Or can ONLY use) wi-fi. If/when there's a Series 5, it should come with integrated 802.11 b/g/n and support WPA2 encryption. The bluetooth/QWERTY remote should also come standard.

5. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I totally agree. None of those things are about watching TV or improving my TV watching experience. I could list dozens of things TiVo could do that would be relevant- like storing settings on SD cards to prevent loss, making hard drives removable on cartridges to simplify repair and offer user-upgrades, updating the Netflix module, offering built-in streaming to other boxes, re-writing the UI to be threaded and activate the second core, etc, etc.

TiVo has already lost their way and their focus. The Premiere is considerably over a year old and still plagued with serious bugs, poor performance, and lack of refinement. The last thing on earth they would need are more distractions away from their core functionality.

6. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Actually a web browser would be good, not to browse the web in general, but to serve as the user interface, totally replacing the horrible flash nonsense they have now. Then you could connect to your tivo with any web browser and control it remotely and see the absolutely identical same interface you see native on the tivo. No need for special custom ipad and andriod apps that drain development resources from the folks who ought to be actually fixing the bugs instead of designing revolutionary new features.

Nothing like half baked revolutionary new features that don't work all the time and destabilize the system to attract lots of new users :).

7. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I agree about having removable hard drives and/or using SD cards for settings. I'd really like to see the Tivo "software" separated from the storage media. Putting it on flash would be a good idea, and could even improve the boot time. These are architectural differences that should have been implemented into the Premiere or even the S3/HD. Almost every other linux-enabled appliance I have has the OS stored on Flash. Tivo's approach is so 1998.

Streaming is still my #1 feature request. I'd put odds on us getting streaming from Tivo->IPAD before Tivo->Tivo though.

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Give me co-operative scheduling between Tivos. That one feature could do a lot to keep current subscribers.

9. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    And make it smart cooperative scheduling, as in find any free tuner and move a conflicting recording there. I missed the 2 hour finale of Smallville on my Premiere because of a second hour conflict. My Series 3 was idle at the time. The one hour episodes all recorded fine.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I would say only on approval though. A household with mutliple TiVos can have a problem if someone wants to use a tuner on a TiVo in their room and they have been taken for cooperative scheduling.
    Although I guess they could have an option to select the boxes and number of tuners you want to use for copperative scheduling.

11. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I don't think TiVo is working on this cooperative scheduling. Instead I see them coming out with a single 3 or 4 tuner Series 5 box with disk-less extenders.

12. MrJedi

MrJedi Member

Apr 13, 2011
    1)I would like to see a TiVo with true DLNA certification.
    2)I would like the Virgin Media Program guide (the BBC iPlayer would be great too).
    3)I would like a finalized HD interface (Premier is my first TiVo and the HD interface was a selling point for me).
    4)I would like the OPTION to toggle TiVo suggestions to show alongside my recorded shows. They have their own icon, why do they need their own folder?

I also like the idea of USB/SD card backup for settings as someone mentioned.

In regards to the article, an app store could be useful if it was more like an iTunes store vs Android Market. Meaning, apps have to be approved. I wouldn't want it for games or utilities. I would want it so we could have some of the same stuff Roku has. Take the development out of TiVo's hands and give it to the content owners. The Netflix app probably would have been updated by now. Hulu Plus would probably already be rolled out. Amazon Prime videos probably would be out. So I agree an Entertainment focused app store would be a nice to have.

Otherwise, I have a Harmony remote and I prefer the TiVo remote. As cool as the Hive mind sounds for recommendations, it scares me and I'll pass. Cloud storage would only be useful for Music. Most of the USA's broadband upload speeds are less than 1 Mbps peak (typically 768kbps). A 7GB 1 hour show would take about 20 hours to upload. Until we have more places in the US with services like FiOS or Google Fiber (coming 10 miles from where I live), uploads aren't fast enough for cloud storage. There is also the new bandwidth caps to contend with that some providers are starting to roll out.

Basically, I think most of what is wrong with TiVo could be fixed with software.

13. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I read through the article.
    Since the TiVo doesn't stream, it transfers, I'd like the ability that when I transfer and view the basement-recorded show in the family room, and then delete after watching, the TiVo should ask "delete original basement copy as well?"
    The features mentioned in the article don't really get me excited. The idea of synchronizing multiple TiVos for recording is great. I have 4. So 4 tuners with full access (i.e. all channels) 2 tuners that can get SD up to ch 20, and one single that gets SD channels via DTA. The improved USA/TNT/Fox offerings did this to me. A bit of planning needed.

EDIT - A single box with 4 tuners would be great, it would let me de-card an S3 and stop paying $7.50/mo.

14. belunos

belunos New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    I saw several suggestions in this short thread alone that are head and shoulders better than what was mentioned in that blog. In fact, I'll add one of my own:
    I have a 1 tb drive hooked up. I also like suggestions. What I don't like is parsing through 200+ suggestions looking for something. I wish there a way to folder up the suggestions like you do with regular items. I can get around it by setting one of an episode to save always, which displays the folder on the main part, but the ability should also be in the suggestions folder (correct me if the HD version already does this, I have it turned off).

15. Videodrome

Videodrome tivo - please wait..

Jun 20, 2008
    That would make Tivo interesting again, and a fast interface like replay.

16. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    They'd better go with at LEAST 4! 4 tuner cards are already out for the computer. Dish Network's HD DVRs can record 4 channels at once (2 OTA and 2 satellite, which the Premiere *SHOULD* be able to handle just fine-2 OTA and 2 cable obviously). Directv is planning a 5 tuner box soon.

17. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Please not 2 OTA-only plus 2 cable-only, but rather 4 tuners that can each handle OTA or cable. Any modern tuner chip should do both. And while they're at it, each coaxial RF input should be able to handle either OTA or cable frequencies, so that you could feed the TiVo with two different cable feeds or (more likely) two different OTA antennas.

18. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Everyone has different needs. But I can count on two fingers the number of times I have needed more than two tuners at the same time in the last decade. Sure, having more would be fine, but I prioritize that type of improvement WAY down the list on things TiVo could do to make my experiences better with their DVR's.

It is almost like megapixels on cameras. 12MP... 15MP... 17MP...??? Why would any normal person ever need that much resolution? But every year another few megapixels are added... just so a consumer can go "oooooh, this has more megapixels than that one".

19. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    I don't know about you, but between just my Wife and myself, we frequently max out our recording options in prime-time and when they are locked up like that, we cannot even watch live TV (Sometimes we don't WANT to watch what's recording just yet). So yes, I agree with you that the rule of diminishing returns applies, I think that rule starts are 4, not 2 :p.

Stream MRV instead of copy, share tuners for both recording and live TV, introduce a 4 tuner model and finish the damn premiere and we may have a product worth paying $20/month for. Especially if the disk less extenders run $5 instead of $9.95.

20. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Extenders should not cost anything per month.