First unsuccessful upgrade :(

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by ericL, Sep 16, 2006.

1. ericL

ericL Abbie Normal

Jan 6, 2002
    Raleigh, NC

Advertisements

I'm trying to replace the stock 250GB drive in my new HR10-250 with a new Seagate 500GB. I want to save my recordings so I used the following command:

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdb

After 2.5 hours of "Scanning Source..." it moved on to:

Uncompressed backup size: 203952 megabytes
    Backing up 1 of 203952 megabytes (0.00%)

I had to leave for the day and I came back 24 hours later and it was still there with the disk activity light still pegged. I can't imagine it was still working, right? I stopped it and have put the original drive back in for now.

Has anyone seen any problems like this? I've done tons of simple upgrades like this before and never a problem, though I normally use dd. I didn't this time because I wanted to use the additional options for large drives.

thanks.

2. ericL

ericL Abbie Normal

Jan 6, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I just did a little reading (figured something wasn't working, not that it was just slow). I'm going to try enabling DMA (I've never heard of that before so I have no idea if it was on or not). I also read a mention or two about having each drive on separate IDE chains. When I've done this type of upgrade, I've just used the master and slave on the primary chain, but if it'll help I can put one on the secondary.

One other note, when I first started the process I first tried to just make a backup of the image using:

mfsbackup -f 9999 -1so <filename> /dev/hda

but that was taking too long (I let it go about 1 hour and it was still "Scanning Source...") and I wanted to get the upgrade started so I stopped it.

I've read that people don't have the slowness problems when not saving their recordings (makes sense). It seems like my first backup should have finished in less than 1 hour, no?. Could the DMA issue be the problem there? It wouldn't be a big deal to lose my recordings.

thanks.

3. LoopinFool

LoopinFool New Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I'm having the exact same problem. Please post if you've figured it out. You can also watch my thread "Help! Can't backup current drive!" in case someone comes up with a fix there.

I am using an old computer that only has UDMA33 and both drives are on the same cable. I verified it's in UDMA33 mode in the Linux output while booting, and this worked fine for me when upgrading an old Series 1 box...

Thanks,
    - LoopinFool

4. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Making the stand along backup should only take a few minutes with or without DMA you may have a hardware problem/conflict in the PC disable and remove all add-on cards and devices that are not needed. Use the new finewire EIDE cables.

If the original TiVo drive having problems you may need to use dd_rescue instead.

5. LoopinFool

LoopinFool New Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Madison, WI

Advertisements

Thank you. I've since used hdparm to enable DMA and 32-bit transfers (it showed they were off!), but I believe I'm still seeing the same thing.

I think my next step will be to try this on our current main computer. It has newer IDE controllers (that support at least UDMA100), but doesn't have a FAT partition anywhere. That's partly why I'm using the old box (plus, it worked last time).

Thanks again,
    - LoopinFool

6. ericL

ericL Abbie Normal

Jan 6, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm using a semi-old PC, but one I've used to do many upgrades in the past, but the largest drive I've ever backed up or dd'ed has, I think, been a 120GB. I've mfsadded some 250s. It's really a barebones PC (an old tower we have at work); two IDE cables, the harddrive is unplugged from the SCSI bus and that's it.

If it turns out I need different IDE hardware I think I'd just get an InstantCake image to get the 500GB drive going. There's nothing stopping me from doing that, right?

I know next to nothing about the details of IDE hardware/cables. Is it really possible that just a newer cable might do the trick? I suppose I could give that a try first if it might help. I just looked around quickly online for IDE cables and I don't see anything special about any of them. Is there something particular I should look for?

7. kschauwe

kschauwe Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Bowling...
    If you're copying/expanding to a new drive, put the two drives on seperate IDE cables.

8. LoopinFool

LoopinFool New Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I can vouch for what people have recommended in this thread. See my thread at:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=316899

Note that I also used "hdparm -d1 -c3 /dev/hdX" on both drives to enable DMA mode.

- LoopinFool

9. ericL

ericL Abbie Normal

Jan 6, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey Loopin,

Success for me as well. I tried again today, first I checked to see if DMA was enabled on the drives and it was so no change there. All I did differently was to put the destination drive on the secondary IDE instead of making it a slave on the primary (like I've done all my previous work - usually dd).

The source scan took less than 30 seconds and the backup/restore took about 1GB per minute. Now I'm just making a backup of the image, with the drive holding the destination file system again on the secondary IDE and it's going smoothly.

Thanks everyone.

10. ericL

ericL Abbie Normal

Jan 6, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey Loopin,

Success for me as well. I tried again today, first I checked to see if DMA was enabled on the drives and it was so no change there. All I did differently was to put the destination drive on the secondary IDE instead of making it a slave on the primary (like I've done all my previous work - usually dd).

The source scan took less than 30 seconds and the backup/restore took about 1GB per minute. Now I'm just making a backup of the image, with the drive holding the destination file system again on the secondary IDE and it's going smoothly.

Thanks everyone.

11. LoopinFool

LoopinFool New Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Very glad to hear it, Eric.