First Time Try At Setting Up - Networking Have IP

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by 7changedotcom, Jun 17, 2007.

1. 7changedotcom

7changedotcom New Member

Jun 16, 2007

Advertisements

I tried the other day to connect my Samsung DirecTV Tivo SIR 4040R up to my laptop using Internet Connection (and a gaming USB/Ethernet adapter). It didn't work. I then hooked up a 100ft ethernet cable to the wireless router.

It assigns an IP address and open port, but I am unable to connect by telnet to it to add the software I need to help control the Tivo unit.

What might my next step be?

2. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    The USB port is disabled from the factory. You'll need to install the Tivo hard drive into a PC and hack it. See the Underground Forum and Zipper for more info.

3. 7changedotcom

7changedotcom New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    With PTVnet do you have to take apart your Tivo?

Also if the USB is disabled then why I am able to detect an IP address. It will only detect it if I connect to the to USB port on the top slot, not the bottom one on the back of the DirecTV unit.

4. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    If you've getting an IP address from your Tivo - then the unit was probably already hacked. Check out Step 4 on the Zipper page - you should see the prompt bash-2.02#

One other thing to keep in mind - only certain USB to ethernet adapters work on the Tivo. Here's the supported list USB adapters

If you do need to rehack, both the Zipper and PTVnet require installing the Tivo hard drive in your PC

5. 7changedotcom

7changedotcom New Member

Jun 16, 2007

Advertisements

Looks like the issue is XP sends Telnet in a windows format and I need to change it to a Linux format. How might I do that?

I tried doing that unset crlf function before logging on using telnet didn't work

might it help if I knew the port to which to connect I tried 80 but no dice.

6. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    From the Zipper page:

Back on your PC, open a windows command prompt and type:

telnet -t vt100 tivoipaddress

...where tivoipaddress is the IP address you entered in Step G. This should give you a bash prompt that looks like this:

bash-2.02#

7. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    Any tivo hacking method requires removing the hard drive at least once.
    Even Directivos will grab an IP address without any hacking. There just isn't anything useful/interesting that can be done with it without hacking it first. The usb drivers are there and will get loaded naturally, but the firewall is still in place and even though telnet is native to the tivo, it won't get started on it's own and isn't useful if the firewall is still blocking traffic.