First Roamio (basic) died yesterday

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by phox_mulder, May 7, 2020.

1. May 7, 2020 #1 of 21
    phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...

Advertisements

My first Roamio bit the dust yesterday.
    Green light on front lit, as well as a green light inside the cover, but stuck at startup screen.
    Noticed both green lights going out, then coming back on again, and the screen would flicker at the same time..

Swapped wall warts with one of my Romio OTA's, no joy.
    Tried the Bolt wart, still no joy.

Going to try the freezing the hard drive trick, just so I can get some shows I care about transferred to the Bolt, and maybe backup the SP's with KMTTG.

Also ordered a new drive and going to try cloning if I can get it to semi function.

It is an upgraded 2TB drive which is about half full, so a lot of content I haven't gotten around to watching yet, but probably don't care about since I put off watching it

CopRock likes this.
  2. May 7, 2020 #2 of 21
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If the drive has completely failed, then you can just swap out with a new one, but you would lose everything on the old one.

3. May 7, 2020 #3 of 21
    phox_mulder

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Adding in. I replaced the noisy fan once, new one started being noisy so I unconnected it and put a laptop chiller underneath, and removed the cable card door, temperature has always been relatively chilly.

It's been powered by a UPS since it was born.

This is the first of probably 10 TiVo's I've owned that has died before it was put out to pasture and replaced with newer technology.

4. May 8, 2020 #4 of 21
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I have other TiVo's that act as both recorders AND "back up" storage of stuff I have not gotten to or just want to keep, meaning the content exists on at least one additional TiVo, but sometimes 2, which equals up to 3 DVR locations for the content.

I usually trasnfer the recordings to another TiVo to have the extra copy or 2. Could that be an option for you? I know there are the PC solutions, but I find just transferring the content to be so much easier and I don't have to fiddle with the PC, especially when I have more urgent things to do with the PC, and I do power up the PC everyday. Just a suggestion. "Back-up" recordings stored and/or viewed on other TiVo's has worked well for me over the years, but whatever solution you prefer.

tommage1 likes this.
  5. May 8, 2020 #5 of 21
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010

Advertisements

Forgot to say that laptop fan/chiller my absolute favorite solution for both Roamio TiVo and Dish Hoppers to deal with fans running to high to cope with the heat. I use just the lower priced chillers with a flat surface, and it is a cheap, easy, no need to take the TiVo out of commision solution (it is an ORDEAL gettng my equipment dissconnected and reconnected that I dread it--and only do so when I have no choice but to replace the HDD), and a nice TIME SAVER, and the results are great. Great minds think alike.

Your Roamio death is likely just the HDD having died. As an earlier poster said, if you can't extreact the content, then all you have to do is just pop in a new HDD without any preparation (no image necessary), and it will boot up to the Setup TiVo screen and process all bys it selfs. Great that you tried the cheaper Brick solution as sometimes that can be the culprit, but not in your nor my case. Best of luck.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  6. May 9, 2020 #6 of 21
    phox_mulder

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Ran WD diagnostics on the drive, says it's fine.

Put a 1TB drive in, and still just get the green light-"Welcome Starting up" screen, the then green light goes out and lights up again.
    I never get the amber light, so I can't try any kickstart codes.

Is my motherboard dead? Is it worth trying to fix a 6 year old Roamio?

7. May 9, 2020 #7 of 21
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I bought a fully functional Roamio off Ebay a few weeks back for $40...

-KP

8. May 9, 2020 #8 of 21
    phox_mulder

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I'm not lacking for TiVo's, have 2 OTA's and my Bolt, just feels like a waste paying for Lifetime that only lasted 6 years.

CopRock likes this.
  9. May 9, 2020 #9 of 21
    pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    I would say that six years is pretty good, but the risk of getting a catastrophic failure is part and parcel of the deal for us DVR “lifetimers”.

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I would now question the power wall wart.

What is the make/model of the 2TB drive?

11. oldirtr

oldirtr Member

Apr 25, 2020
    have you checked the caps? and yes don't laugh especially around the cpu area, seem to remember a great tech here advising to check the power path 1st before assuming the worst, and a cap is so simple to fix if you can get soldering access to it.

12. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No Caps in a Roamio basic or OTA model. Its a power brick.

13. phox_mulder

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I tried 2 other Roamio wall warts, and a Bolt wall wart, no joy.
    Also tried an external power supply for the hard drive (old computer PS), still nothing.

WD20PURX would be the drive, it's been in there since I got the TiVo, upgraded before I turned it on.
    I even tried putting the original hard drive back in last night, yes I kept it all this time, still wouldn't even make it to where I could try a kickstart.

14. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Although I know that you have other boxes, you might consider contacting TiVo customer service to see if they might offer you a sweetheart replacement deal. Someone posted here a few days ago about doing so with a dead Bolt box, and received an offer of $49 + shipping for a replacement box. Can't hurt to ask. ;)

tommage1, CopRock and shwru980r like this.
  15. CopRock

CopRock Member

Jul 13, 2014
    They would have throw in lifetime transfer for free/decent price to get a bolt for example, but then I'm sure apps will never be what they should be close to even a basic roku so meh ... Still have a lifetime Series 2 hoping that Tivo will have such a transfer deal for any lifetime tivo someday

16. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    @phox_mulder
    Check for bulging electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard. While they are more known for going bad in power supplies, they can go bad on the motherboard as well, assuming the Roamio motherboard has electrolytics.

17. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    Oh, in case you don't know, how do recognize a bulging electrolytic capacitor? Electrolytic capacitors are manufactured with a complete flat top which may be even slightly concave.

If there is convex curvature above being flat, it is beginning to bulge. In addition, they often have an X or + stamped in the top to weaken the top. This is so excessive internal pressure will cause the top to rupture gently rather than the pressure building up and making the electrolytic pop and spew crap all over.

18. phox_mulder

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I don't think the Roamio has any capacitors, at least the kind the S3 has, which are prone to bulging.
    Something on the motherboard is taking the 12v in and sending 12v to the hard drive, and 3-5v to the rest of the board, I'm thinking this is what has failed, so maybe there are some capacitors in that circuit?

19. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Yup. Just make sure you don't mention the upgraded drive, just tell them what is happening, they will have you try a bunch of things that won't work, then maybe offer a deal. Good you kept the original drive in case they require a return.

Mikeguy likes this.
  20. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Could be. There are a lot of chips on a MB, any one could fail, not necessarily a capacitor. Or could be the flash drive/memory where the OS is stored. I'd almost lean that way since you never even get to the yellow light, first thing it does is access the flash memory I think, then the hard drive, seems to not be getting to the attempted HD access. I don't know anyone who has replaced the flash memory, if it's even possible, heck I don't even know where it is located on the board.