First random reboot!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by mhn2, Jan 24, 2006.

1. mhn2

mhn2 New Member

Sep 10, 2003
    Arlington, TX

Advertisements

Well, I have read numerous posts about the HR10-250 randomly rebooting itself, and last night mine did it! I bought my HDTiVo back in the summer thanks to the now infamous BestBuy 50% off TiVo equipment coupon.

I have noticed a gradual slowdown in system response, and the audio popping sounds, but never any real problems. Last night while watching our TiVo'd episode of 24 around 9:45 pm, BAM!, the things goes to the reset screen. We were also recording Medium and CSI Miami at the same time.

Even stranger, Medium only recorded the first 4 minutes and CSI Miami gave an error message when trying to play it. I figured we would get the first 45 minutes, but no dice.

Another thing I have noticed lately is that TiVo is recording the entire buffer when recording a show sometimes. At 10:32 pm, I hit the record button to record a :30 minute show. The tuner had been on the same channel since before it started, so I knew it would record it all. When I played it back, the show is :47 minutes long and is queued up at the :17 minute mark where the show began. Strange

Anyone else seen thing odd behavior? :(

2. IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    I had a couple of "random" reboots. It hasn't happened in about 3 weeks or so.

Yes, it was an HR10-250. Two reboots over a week and weekend, then nothing since.

3. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    This is normal. Happens with all TiVos. Don't know why.

4. bdlucas

bdlucas Right side up again.

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    Cosmic rays.

5. IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...

Advertisements

Could be the Bill Gates macroreboot virus.

6. kdonnel

kdonnel DVC-BCV

Nov 28, 2000
    Metro...
    I started getting random reboots. Then the hard drive completely died.

I bought another and used the instantcake cd to reimage my new drive.

7. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    So it appears that a random reboot or two does not portend drive failure, while regular reboots probably do. There are a lot of reasons why a PVR might reboot, and some are software and some are hardware-based. It's probably a good idea to reboot preventatively whenever you see weird behavior, or every few months, whichever comes first. This is rare on a Tivo, but many DISH PVR owners regularly reboot preventatively once or twice a week.

If the Tivo can't determine the start time of the show for whatever reason (which it really should be able to) it will default to the entire buffer, erring on the side of caution. That's a good thing.

8. dfioc

dfioc New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Orange...
    what happened to me:
    1. Intermittent sound-drop outs and pixelization;
    2. Isolated random reboots;
    3. Increased frequency of pixelation and picture freezes;
    4. Spontaneous reboots with regularity;
    5. HD failure;
    6. Angry phone calls to D* followed by free replacement (2 months outside warranty).
    7. Fully functioning DVR, happy customer.

9. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    Also my HR10's, during rain fade when picture severely breaks up, will consistently reboot and continue to do so until I change the channel to one without break ups or rain fade subsides.