FiOS - XL4 install - NOVA questions.

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by WVZR1, Nov 28, 2019.

1. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I've a friend in Herndon VA with a FiOS - G1100 - connected by Ethernet to ONT. Can a basic Premiere just be connected to the DVR existing COAX and networking is accomplished? He's also a basic FiOS box in another room. Can A A9200 Mini be connected just using the existing COAX? There's no Ethernet in either room.

I've a NOS - 'in box' N-TiVo adapter but I was hoping that shouldn't be required. Correct? He's a 60 mile drive and I'd like to sort what's required before making a drive.

How easy is it getting the CableCARD paired? VOD works how with FiOS?

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    If there is no coax connection to the G1100, which would allow the use of MoCA, the answer is no. Don't have any idea what a "basic" Premiere is, but any of the 4 tuner Premiere units can use their builtin MoCA for networking.
    In the absence of a common coax connection for the G1100 and no access for the Premiere via Ethernet....you cannot use the Tivo, period. If either of those can be accomplished, i.e., coax to G1100 or ethernet to Premiere, then the Premiere can either connect to or "create" a MoCA network which the mini could use.
    Only other option is some kind of MoCA adapter connected to the common coax and it's ethernet port connected to one of the G1100's LAN ports.
    If you only have a 2 tuner Premiere, you cannot use a mini.
    Edit: No VOD, some PPV events can be ordered via phone and be accessible via the Premiere on one channel.
    Good news no TA's, sometimes a cable card can be successfully enabled via their online "auto" activation....if that fails do not try it again, call and speak to someone. Next option which can take some time, days, is via the direct forum.

3. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Thank you!!!!

I assumed that all Premiere devices were considered pretty 'basic'. I didn't realize XL4/Elite were MoCA ready. So there is no VOD but there is PPV? That would be the same as what's available with the FiOS DVR he presently has? So there's likely a link that someone could share with me before I make the trip to attempt the 'on-line' activation/pairing. if he has another basic FiOS TV box is that a simple disconnect COAX, connect Mini and do basic networking setup through the XL4/Elite.

i believe I understand!!! I just need to make sure that splitters are MoCA compatible.

Would someone mind sharing the FiOS 'auto activation' link with me or is it maybe an 'internal operation' using the G1100 Quantum FiOS networking?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  4. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    The instructions for "activating" should come along with a sheet that comes with the cable card. VOD is available on the Fios equipment but not on Tivo, only the big PPV events/fights etc. You need to be present to insert and activate the cable card, you can not do it in advance or by remote.
    "if he has another basic FiOS TV box is that a simple disconnect COAX, connect Mini and do basic networking setup through the XL4/Elite." That would be no.

5. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    one last question I guess ....

Is VOD available on a secondary device like ROKU or similar .............................?

6. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    I don’t know if full VOD is available, but the FiOS TV app on my iPhone gives me access to stuff. With my TV I can stream using the app and “cast” it to my TV.

7. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Thanks!

I guess maybe I'll just reach out via CHAT or something to find out. I don't believe they actually use VOD much/any at all BUT I'd hate to carry them a TiVo and then find out none available. Maybe someone else will reach out!!