Fios - worth keeping TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by john123, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Oct 3, 2009 #1 of 36
    john123

john123 New Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Washington,US

Advertisements

I currently have Comcast Cable, with two S2 TiVo's, and Verizon are in the middle of connecting up our neighborhood for Fios.

I'm seriously thinking about switching, but wondering what to do with the TiVo's. They're both single tuner models, one 80G, one 40G, and I have then wirelessly networked for swapping programs back and forth. I'm paying TiVo $21.53 a month (including tax).

I see from other threads that I should be able to get the tivo's working with the Fios boxes (depending on model I guess, and it might have to be via IR blasters rather than the serial control I'm using currently).

Now it looks like verizon has a home media DVR that should work with a standard receiver to give me equivalent type service (two programs recording at one time, viewable on both TV's). It also does HD content, but I don't really have any desire to move to HD yet - no HD capable TV's. The $19.99 (presumably + tax) it will cost is about the same as the TiVo's currently cost.

Anyone done a similar switch? What do you think of the DVR software? Is it stable and usable? I like the TiVo UI, but I'm rather disappointed that none of the few new features TiVo, that has actually managed to bring out, are usable on the series 2's.

2. Oct 4, 2009 #2 of 36
    ceyko

ceyko New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    I specifically bought a TiVo since the FIOS DVR sucked so bad. I mean it is terrible from a reliability point of view, capacity, interface and so on. Read up on dslreports.com, their FIOS sectiona nd I think you'll see more opinions ont he matter. That forum actually got me point towards the TiVO.

3. Oct 4, 2009 #3 of 36
    JimG19

JimG19 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    I have read that the one issue with Fios is the quality of the dvr. So that would concern me.

Of course, I am the kind of person that chooses their service and boxes, etc. based on how they would work with a Tivo. :D

4. Oct 4, 2009 #4 of 36
    shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    It doesn't make sense to keep a series 2 unless it has lifetime service. You can buy a used series 2 from ebay for about $100. You could replace your existing units with lifetime units for $200 and they would pay for themselves in 10 months. Then no more monthly fees. Keep your old units in the attic for spare parts.

5. Oct 4, 2009 #5 of 36
    simsbotv

simsbotv New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    connecticut

Advertisements

I made the switch to Comcast DVR in Connecticut adn can't be happier...shut down my TIVO monthly payment if $12 and haven't looked back in 3 months. One thing I am wondering, though...if I wanted to use TIVO box in Florida for 4 months over the winter...any chance I can hook it upa dn paya ?month to month? fee?

6. Oct 4, 2009 #6 of 36
    JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    A Tivo Series 3 / HD combined with Fios is about the best combination of DVR and source programming available today.

Maybe the new HD DirecTivo in 2010 will give this combination a run for its money, but Tivo HD + Fios is a heck of a combination!:up::up::up:

7. Oct 4, 2009 #7 of 36
    shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    The month to month service requires a 1 year comittment.

8. Oct 4, 2009 #8 of 36
    nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    +1

I went from Comcast to FIOS nd cannot belive how much better it is. Better PQ and no CCI. Add in all the other TiVo features and WOW!

9. Oct 4, 2009 #9 of 36
    john123

john123 New Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Washington,US
    Just had a looks on ebay, and it looks like series 2's with lifetime go for more like $200 a piece - so more like $400, or about 20 months worth of subscriptions. Probably still not a bad idea, but I guess I'd want to see how well the series 2's work with Fios first.

I'll have to see if I can start out with 2 tivo controled basic fios boxes first, and maybe upgrade one to their DVR if the TiVo's don't work out (assuming the fios DVR's are reliable enough by then...)

While the series 3 TiVo's may work well for HD, I really don't see myself upgrading to HD for a good while yet.

10. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    Those are the dual tuner S2s going for $200. The single tuner ones are much less.

11. TivoCentral

TivoCentral Tivo Changed My Life

Jul 23, 2006
    Florida
    A basic (deck and remote only) 240- or 540- Series 2 with lifetime on eBay should go for, at most, $200. They often sell for $130-$175, but you have to keep an eye on them, as they only last a day or two (or less) at those prices... check AT LEAST twice a day if you're looking for a deal! :)

Good call! FiOS service and programming are great, but their DVR doesn't hold a candle to TiVo. Among other annoyances, most of the time when I tried to record two shows (on the FiOS DVR), and wanted to watch a recorded show, it ended up glitching and I had to powercycle the darned thing... messing up the two recordings. :mad:

Their DVR is an expensive monthly fee, too. You might as well spring for a TiVo at those prices...

Personally, I'm moving on to TiVo HD, MyDVR Expander, and CableCards... the only way to go! Good luck, and enjoy the FiOS!

12. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    I have 2 TivoHDs and one FiOS DVR. The biggest negative of the FiOS DVR the inability to increase storage. You can buy a tivo with a 1T drive, expand a Tivo HD (void the warranty) or you can buy an external drive.
    Tivo also offers TTG.

The FiOS DVR is otherwise OK. There may have been an issue with earlier versions of the software but the unit works fine today.

I wouldn't even think of using a S2 unit with FiOS. Issues inherent with using IR blasters. It's not clear which FiOS boxes (if any) have working serial ports. No HD.

OP might check with tivo and see what kind of deal tivo will give him on a TivoHD.

edited to add:
    Most of the posters who say the FiOS DVR is a piece of crap have never used a FiOS DVR or haven't used a FiOS DVR in years.

13. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I have used the FIOS DVR and it is a piece of crap (at least when compared to a Tivo).:p It was actually my brother-in-law's DVR since I would never get one myself. If all you want is a basic DVR that is limited to recording just a handful of shows a week then it's probably just right for you. If you're like most people that have used DVRs (especially Tivos), then you're more likely to want to record more than just a few programs each week. The lack of recording capacity in the FIOS DVR is an extreme design deficiency which takes it out of serious contention as a mainstream DVR. Most people that get the FIOS DVR simply don't realize it's shortcomings or just don't realize there's something better available. It's something the FIOS salesperson throws out there as being an apparent bargain when comparing it to a HD STB (i.e., "For only $5 more per month you can record all of your favorite shows"). The average consumer wouldn't know the difference between a good DVR and the one that FIOS or Comcast offers (Comcast uses the same Motorola DVR in many markets).

14. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    You have it reversed. A lot more viewers are using cable supplied DVRs then tivos. Posters don't want to admit it but cable supplied DVRs are the mainstream DVRs and tivo is the niche product.

SPs on the FiOS DVR are about the same as tivo. The guide data has improved over the last 6 months, it's now equivalent.

The capacity of a FiOS DVR is about the same as the TivoHD. I agree the capacity isn't enough for heavy DVR users (TCF members). It's works for a customers who record shows they're planning on watching the same week. It isn't sufficient for customers who want to store an entire season of a favorite show. A lot of users have had "issues" with the DVR Expander. Based on threads on TCF I'd call the DVR Expander a "piece of crap" before I'd use that term for the FiOS DVR. The FiOS DVR has an eSATA port. It's not active.

FiOS offers a lot of shows (free) on VoD. VoD for networks like HBO are available at no extra charge, to customers who subscribe to HBO. People who won't be increasing the capacity of a TivoHD might do better with the FiOS DVR. A lot of popular shows are available on VoD. Fewer SPs are required.

15. turbobozz

turbobozz New Member

Sep 21, 2006
    MD/VA
    That's the same overall feeling I had when I had access to a FIOS dvr, and that's why I tell people to try out the FIOS dvr before buying a TiVoHD.

Good enough + VoD, but with (generally) minor quirks... The disk size is the big gotcha that you have to consider.
    (And honestly, TiVo has its own minor quirks that seemingly never fixed.)

16. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002

The OP is asking about using two S2 units. He's paying for monthly tivo service. One unit has a 80Gig drive and the other has a 40 Gig drive. A FiOS home media DVR, and an extra STB is probably going to cost less then what the OP will be paying for tivo and 2 basic cable boxes. He'll be able to record more programs and will have access to VoD (not available with the basic FiOS STB). He's interested in SD programs. The hard drive in the FiOS box (or TivoHD) should be adequate.

I'd try to find out what kind of deal, if any, tivo will offer for a TivoHD. Otherwise I think the FiOS DVR would be a superior choice to the S2 units.

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I have four tivos on FIOS. The FIOS DVR sucks like the comcast DVR does. if you want VOD you can rent a FIOS STB and getthe same VOD features as the FIOS DVR.

18. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Saying the FiOS DVR is a piece of crap or it sucks doesn't really provide any useful information. A poster who's never used a FiOS DVR, or hasn't used one in the past 6 months, isn't qualified to comment on the unit.

I had some SP issues, caused by incomplete guide data. Those issues disappeared over the last 6 months. My FiOS DVR is as reliable as my tivo unit.

Capacity can be increased for tivo. Tivo offers TivotoGo. JMO but that's about the only real advantage offered by tivo. Being able to upgrade the tivo hard drive is a significant advantage to TCF members but less of an advantage to the average consumer. The OP in this thread has an 80Gig S2 and a 40 Gig S2. Tivo offers suggestions and wishlists. Go with tivo if those features are important to you. I certainly wouldn't call a unit which omits those features "a piece of crap"

PP suggested renting a FiOS STB, to access VoD. That's doable but makes the tivo solution even more expensive.

I'd take a FiOS DVR over using a tivo S2 with a STB.

19. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    But he could replace his existing single tuner TIVOs with 2 lifetime units for ~$200 and have the old TIVOs as backups for spare parts. The new TIVOs would pay for themselves in roughly 10 months and no more monthly fees. If you don't want or need HD, the series 2 is dirt cheap.

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The series 2 should not be a choice for a non analog cable system like FIOS. The FIOS DVR, as lousy as it is when I used it recently, would make more sense than running a Series 2 with a STB.

I don't like the FIOS DVR, but it is better than the Comcast offering which I was using yesterday and was very disgusted with it. But neither one is anywhere near as good as using a TiVoHD.

Especially when one is used to the TiVo interface. For a person that has never used a DVR, the FIOS DVR seems excellent(any DVR seems exellent compared to using a DVD burner or :eek: a VCR), but for someone who has used TiVos, which is the cream of the crop, other DVR solutions are a big letdown.