Fios with Series 2 DT

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by legba11, May 13, 2009.

1. legba11

legba11 New Member

May 13, 2009

Advertisements

I just switched over to Fios, and I cannot get the cable feed to work on my series 2 DT. The box signal works fine, but the cable signal says no signal can be found and the screen is black.

Any hope, or am I just stuck with a single tuner now?

2. pdonoghu

pdonoghu Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Upper...
    FIOS is 100% digital. For a direct RF cable connection to work, it needs to be an analog feed. When used with FIOS, a Series 2 dual tuner is reduced to single tuner functionality.

3. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Yep, FIOS turned off analog rebroadcast about a year ago.

Now if you want a dual tuner Tivo that works fully with FIOS you'd have to go with a Series 3 model like the TiVo HD.

4. legba11

legba11 New Member

May 13, 2009
    How then, do I tell the Tivo to just stop using that non functional tuner? I unchecked every channel on "cable", but it still tries to tune them and I get the black screen.

5. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...

Advertisements

You'll need to re-do Guided Setup. When you get to "Enable Dual Tuner" select "No." Continue with the rest of Guided Setup.

Also, remove any splitters used to divide the signal between the TiVo and the FiOS box, as that is no longer necessary.

6. legba11

legba11 New Member

May 13, 2009
    Thanks

7. aegrotatio

aegrotatio New Member

Jul 7, 2006
    What does the "DT" mean in the model name "Series 2 DT" anyway?
    It still has the DT tuner, and it's not being used, so why can't it use it for FiOS QAM channels?

8. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    The "DT" does mean "Dual Tuner", but the built-in tuner is analog, not digital. This means it can't tune QAM.

QAM is the digital cable format. The DT machines don't have digital tuners of any kind.

9. yjr

yjr New Member

Apr 26, 2006

Like previous posters wrote, you need an analog signal for an S2 Tivo.
    You could get a Digital Adapter from Verizon for about $4/Month(cheaper than a regular Fios box). the Digital Adapter is a stripped down/bare bones version of an SD Fios cable box. That will give you 1 tuner functionality.
    I suppose with a little creativity(you will have to experiment) you could get the S2 DT to control 2 Digital Adapters(1 for each tuner-for a little more than the price of a Fios box)by splitting the IR blaster cable/emmiters that come with the S2.
    HTH
    JerryR