FIOS with NO Cablecard??

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by HD_Dude, Mar 14, 2012.

1. HD_Dude

HD_Dude I Want HD in my Car

Sep 11, 2006
    Washington, DC

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

The FIOS installer is coming tomorrow...but before he arrives, a question: if I hook up the FIOS cable to my Tivo S3's without any cablecard, will I receive any programming?

I understand that w/o cablecards I will not get any premium channels. But, will I possibly get locals in HD? That's all I really want anyway.

Also -

Will I get any program guide data listing the channels?

If so, will I be able to record from the guide, and be able to do season passes?

Or will every channel just be the gray screen?

Thanks in advance!

2. dbenrosen

dbenrosen New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    New Jersey
    If I remember correctly, you won't get anything. Otherwise I should be able to hook the wire directly to a TV with a built-in tuner and get those stations, and that is certainly NOT the case.

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    You can get all the locals in HD, if and only if you actually subscribe to Fios TV -- it's not like some cable systems, where you can subscribe to just Internet, and get local TV "free" due to the kludgy design of their systems.

Now, yes, you'll get the local channels, but without a CableCard, they won't be mapped to their proper numbers. This makes them essentially useless with a TiVo, if not entirely.

Get the card, or forget about using the S3 with Fios, seriously.

4. HD_Dude

Sep 11, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I see!

Thanks for the explanation. So, I'll let the tech go ahead and hook up the FIOS STB tomorrow, with no Tivo involvement at all.

Then, I'll continue to use the S3's with OTA. Which, by the way is awesome. I have a brand new Panasonic plasma, and recently I was watching OTA on the set, and also recording it on one of the S3's. Had some OTA interference, and got annoyed at the pixelized, drop-out, audio-loss experience with the set, so I reverted to the S3 recording: perfect.

Stronger tuner, able to lock in better than the Panasonic.

The only reason I'm hooking up FIOS? I already have high-speed internet with them, and they offered 135 channels for -$20 more a month - with the STB for free for a year. Why not?

Again, thanks for the 'locals in HD, but w/o mapping and guide ' info. Crucial.

HD

5. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002

Advertisements

Why don't you see if you can substitute a cable card for the STB?

6. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Because compared to a TiVo the FiOS DVR sucks, IMO.
    I have had a free FiOS DVR for the last 6 years. I keep it because it is free. The day they charge me 1 cent for it it goes back.
    To keep my sanity and make sure i record what i intended i get the Mcard(s) from Vz and use 2 TiVo's in addition to the free FiOS 7232-2 STB.

7. HD_Dude

Sep 11, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think I'll just spring for the cablecards.

I totally agree about the S3 vs the FIOS boxes...the Tivo is faster, totally intuitive, and its GUI is much cleaner - the FIOS - even the new, smaller box - is slow, heavy on menu drilling, and man, its GUI is so busy, crowded and complex you have to sit up and pay close attention to use it.

Thanks for the input.

8. Solman

Solman Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Diamond Bar, Ca
    Love it. No more tuning adapter, no more Xed out transferred tivo shows, and fantastic picture. Beyond my dreams. Am only using their cable cards (4) in my 2 s3's. Fios signal is split to my (2) S3s where the hdmi's take it to my 60" sharp 3d. Also going to my sharp is my 3d blue ray w/Internet access (incl Hulu plus and amazon), my (2) pioneer 301 DVD changers (600 DVDs), my 500 gig Panasonic DVD recorder, my wii game, and my 400cd changer (Sony). All of the above components also go (analog) to my other 11 tvs in the house via a 6 input switch that has 2 outputs. I stayed with TM 2 years longer than I should have because I really didn't think Fios would work with my system---works like a dream. The coolest thing is that all my components are in a 8 x 8 room working with the mx 850 remotes in all of the rooms. You can watch any of those inputs in the backyard, garage, or any of the other rooms w/o moving a muscle via the mx 850's.

Ironically, TM started this move by refusing to negotiate a new deal with me. So at a savings $40/month I get more Channels (all premeum Channels instead of just shotime/hbo), the fastest Internet speed, and the added ability of getting hbo- go (& others) on my iPad.

Good riddance time Warner-never again!

9. Apr 3, 2012 #9 of 10
    SamD

SamD Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Redondo...
    Maybe this not the best thread to ask but still:

Can I use TiVo HD for OTA channels only without CableCard?
    I have lifetime TiVoHD and would like to buy Elite that doesn't have antenna input.
    So, my idea is to keep TiVo HD just for OTA channels and move CableCard to Elite.
    Is this idea viable?

Edit:
    My apologies, found the answer here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=377227
    The answer is Yes.

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    If you mean REALLY OTA -- as in an antenna.. yes. (OBVIOUSLY, because you're not using cable, you're using an antenna.)

If you mean "broadcast" channels on cable, then NO.. At least *realistically* no, since you would be doing all of your recordings as WORSE THAN VCR manual recordings, with no way to distinguish them in now playing.