FIOS vs Comcast with TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by take5, May 4, 2018.

1. take5

take5 Member

Jul 27, 2003

Advertisements

As I sit here as a Comcast user on a Friday night, with two different models of TiVo with the same symptoms -- V58 or V53 on most channels, and Comcast is unable to assist me -- I am wondering if the grass is any greener on the FIOS side of the street.

After all of this time, the level of cluelessness that I get from Comcast is unbelievable:
    • I was seriously told that the reason that I could not record network TV shows was that I did not buy a Comcast DVR. No further assistance was offered. The agent would not let me talk to anyone else.
    • The cablecard support people sent me 35 miles away to an XFINITY store to pick up replacement cablecards, and the store tried to sell them to me for $30 each. I walked away empty-handed. I am now awaiting mail order cablecards, which are cheaper, but still not free. Is it really going to be the cablecards? Both went bad at the exact same time?
    • This evening (Friday), I was referred to the cablecard pairing help phone number, which is closed, and a TiVo debugging number, which is not open until Monday morning.
    • I have not been offered any kind of service call to my house. I am paying over $200/month for TV and Internet.
    So, if I switch to FIOS, is this going to get any better? I am moving in a month -- good time to make a change, unless FIOS is even worse.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  2. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    I'm on FIOS. Zero problems, no tuning adapter required. 100% uptime

randyb359 likes this.
  3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Sounds like a nightmare, and good cause for an FCC complaint.

1) Have you tried the online activation route, detailed in this Xfinity how-to:

2) CableCARDs are supposed to be free with Comcast, assuming you're subscribed to a package that includes a set-top box (which you are supplying). More on Comcast's expected fees, >here<.

> So, if I switch to FIOS, is this going to get any better?

Could it be worse?

4. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    I'm going to expand on my earlier post. FIOS is my TiVo's best friend. My TiVo's have worked flawlessly with FIOS and I would not consider moving back to a provider that uses a cable card adapter.

Every time I've changed something in my system it's been painless to move/swap and then pair my Cable Cards. Their phone support is completely hassle free and any time they've rolled a truck I've not been charged. My cable, internet and phone lines are with them.

They know cable cards and I've never gotten off the phone with them thinking that I'm just another number.

Edit to add: In the run-up to IP box type of service I'd be willing to bet that FIOS wouldn't be contemplating that move anytime soon. Their bandwidth, from my understanding, is very robust.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

I believe rdrrepair means “SDV tuning adapter”; and Comcast doesn’t use TA’s, either.

Other considerations:
    . I believe people speak more highly of FiOS’ video quality;
    . Comcast on-demand is accessible via TiVo boxes;

rdrrepair likes this.
  6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I think that would be the 2 deciding points although Internet upload speeds would be a plus on the FIOS side if that's important to you. Not sure how costs compare.

Scott

7. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    As far as the cost comparison to FIOS internet is concerned, Comcast's current retail rate for their Gigabit service is $140 p.m., which does not include the gateway (cable modem/router) rental fee of $11 plus sales tax. And that is not FTTR (as you point out)--it isn't even the duplex hybrid fiber coaxial (HFC) service which should be forthcoming with the upgrade to DOCSIS 3.1--but rather a nominal 1000mbps/35mbps over coax.

In some markets and from time to time, Comcast is offering a discounted rate of $70 p.m. for the first 12 months; but that appears to be a marketing ploy based on the local availability or potential appeal of Google Fiber.

8. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    You're correct, FIOS does not have an on demand app with TiVo. My video quality is great. Yes, I was referring to a SDV, tuning adapter.

My attitude about my TiVo is I'll change carriers before I'll change my viewing interface. Seeing that FIOS plays extremely nice with my TiVo I'm not changing anything.

I've previously had Time Warner and can attest to their disastrous customer service

9. kazz244

kazz244 Member

Jan 23, 2008
    I've had FiOS since they came into the area. I had Comcast before that. Like you, I had nightmare customer service, and jumped as soon as something else was available.
    After a rocky start with billing and getting my first cablecard Tivo set up, I have nothing bad to say about their customer service. I get a free Verizon DVR (on a promotion they made several years ago) as well as 4 Tivos. I find the Verizon box helpful to troubleshoot problems, as it eliminates the Tivos as the source of the problem if it is happening on their box as well.
    One suggestion I'd make is to use you own router. I bought a good one, and it handles watching programs between devices with ease.