FIOS TV & Cablecards

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by juicygrl88, Aug 28, 2008.

1. juicygrl88

juicygrl88 New Member

Aug 28, 2008

Advertisements

I bought a TIVO Series 3 HD on 24 August 08 and have run into a problem. I have Verizon and they are refusing to let me order 2 cablecards for my TIVO. I filed a formal complaint with the FCC. Has anyone else run into this problem? If so, what steps have you taken to rectify the problem?

Market: Fort Wayne, IN
    Provider: Verizon since May 08

2. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    Perhaps you can share their reason for "refusing" you a card? I find it hard to believe.

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Apparently you should file a complaint with your local cable franchise authority too.

Also, have you tried just calling to get another customer service person? Unfortunately that sometimes works too.

BTW, that's a gaudy/hard to read color scheme.

4. Gregor

Gregor Wear Your Mask! TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    That's a very strange problem. I had no problem whatsoever ordering cable cards. The tech called ahead and wanted to know if I really had 4 tvs that needed a cable card, and once I explained that it was for 2 Tivos, it was no issue.

I would try ordering them and not telling them they're for a Tivo.

5. juicygrl88

juicygrl88 New Member

Aug 28, 2008

Advertisements

I talked with 5 different representatives over the course of the past few days and their saying "their computers aren't allowing it." I ask them what's wrong with their computers but no one can give me an answer. Thats the reason for the suspicion. If I can find the information for the Franchisee I will get ahold of them and I wouldn't mind them yanking Verizon's license. If anything all of this gives me grounds to drop my contact w/o an ETF. I don't want to have to go back to Comcast cause they have fewer HD channels but I guess I will have to. "I should mention they never gave me the free gift they promised."

6. Gregor

Feb 18, 2002
    Please change the color of your posts, it's really annoying to read.

The reps won't order you 2 cable cards or they won't order them once you tell them they're for Tivo? I would just order the cards and tell the tech when they show up they're going in my Tivo.

7. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    juicygrl88: TROLL?

8. juicygrl88

juicygrl88 New Member

Aug 28, 2008
    I am not a troll I assure you of that. I've filed a complaint with the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission.

9. juicygrl88

juicygrl88 New Member

Aug 28, 2008
    I told Verizon that it was for my Tivo.

10. Gregor

Feb 18, 2002
    I would try ordering 2 cable cards and leave it at that. I had no problem ordering 4 cable cards, and I don't remember mentioning Tivo.

(Thanks for changing your post color, too!)

11. juicygrl88

juicygrl88 New Member

Aug 28, 2008
    I tried ordering it both ways but had the same result. Verizon keeps saying that there's something wrong with there ordering system. I don't buy that explanation. Hopefully, filing complaints with the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission and the FCC will resolve my problem. About my color earlier I never knew that it would have put up such a stink otherwise I wouldn't have done it in the first place.

12. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    This is just plain silly. Oh, and by the way, complaining to the FCC won't get you a CABLECard. Thanks for posting.

13. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I've got four cablecards and two S3 Tivos. I never had any problem getting the cards and I told Verizon right off the bat that they'd be used for the Tivos. It sounds like your local Verizon office is just suffering through some sort of computer meltdown that needs to get sorted out before they will let you order the cablecards. I'm sure it's got nothing to do with how they're going to be used. There is absolutely no valid reason why they shouldn't provide you with the cards.

14. demon

demon BURNINATOR

Nov 15, 2006
    Western SD
    Worked for me. Not with Verizon (different provider), but it did in fact work - once they received the complaint they were tripping over themselves to get me the cards I was supposed to have.

15. Gregor

Feb 18, 2002
    Something just occurred to me. I had to add the cards to my order, that I did online. The original rep couldn't do it, so she opened a trouble ticket with some tech folks, who couldn't do it, either. I finally asked to speak with a supervisor who tried after I told her "I've been on the phone a long time and I do not want to hear "the computer won't do it"". She got someone else on the phone, might have been dispatch, that was able to do it. Squeaky wheel definitely gets the grease here.

I would escalate the next call to a supervisor and see what happens. (Filing the complaint was the right thing to do, too.)

16. Scyber

Scyber Former ReplayTV User

Apr 25, 2002
    How many boxes total do you have? IIRC Verizon has a 10 device limit in their billing system. If you already have a # of cableboxes than the 2 CCs might put you over that limit.

17. jhimmel

jhimmel Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Tell them you have 2 cablecard TV's that need 1 cablecard each.
    Maybe the problem is that their system only allows the drones to enter 1 card per device?

18. JonHB

JonHB Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Actually, I believe the limit is 7 devices. This was also the first thought that came to mind...

juicygrl88, how many devices do you curently have?

ps: I concur on the bad choice of font color....

19. Gregor

Feb 18, 2002

I have 10 devices at my house, all working.

20. webin

webin New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Hillsboro,...
    Call Customer Service, ask for 2 cable cards. When they give any some (any) excuse for why they can't do it, ask to speak to their supervisor. Tell them that "it won't let us" is an unacceptable excuse, and they are violating federal regulations by withholding cable cards. It wouldn't hurt to mention that you've already filed complaints, and it's their job to provide the services advertised.

Failing that, you could also try my boss's strategy... he likes to start the conversation with "You probably can't help me, but..." This gives the person on the other end an incentive to prove you wrong. He says it makes them try harder to actually help you. It gives them a challenge the want to overcome.