FiOS to OTA Setup

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Betrthanren, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Betrthanren

Betrthanren New Member

Mar 23, 2020

Advertisements

I currently have a TiVo Bolt with two VOX Minis on a FiOS a cable card setup. I want to remove the cable tv and use my antenna, but I want to know what I would need to do this.

Things to know...
    -The two Tivo Mini VOXS’ run via COAX and it would be impossible to run them with Ethernet.
    -I will continue to use FiOS for Internet, does that mean I won’t need a MOCA Bridge/Bridge Plus with POE Filters?

Would this be the correct setup?
    -Remove cable card from Bolt
    -Run a Coax wire to the Bolt from my Antenna
    -Ethernet cable from FiOS router to Bolt
    -Three way moca splitter
    Input from FiOS

Outputs
    1 lead to my FiOS Router/Modem
    1 lead to one of the Mini Vox
    1 lead to the other Mini Vox

Would this work?

Any help or suggestions would help.
    Thanks!

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, if you were to network the BOLT via Ethernet and direct-connect the antenna via coax to the BOLT, the setup you suggest would work; and, correct, since the MoCA network is kept separate from the antenna/BOLT coax line, no MoCA filter would be needed for the antenna. (A "PoE" MoCA filter could be installed on the input of the 3-way MoCA splitter for performance purposes, but isn't required for securing the MoCA network in a FiOS fiber setup.)

Other configurations are possible, but no reason to complicate things if you're good with the proposed plan.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't believe that you mentioned, does your FiOS Internet setup use a coax/MoCA WAN connection between the ONT and your gateway, or an Ethernet WAN connection?

4. Betrthanren

Betrthanren New Member

Mar 23, 2020
    Current setup...
    4 way MOCA FiOS splitter.
    1 to Bolt (cable card)
    1 to FiOS Router/modem
    1 to Vox
    1 to other Vox

*There is a chance I might end up upgrading my speed on FiOS, which will force me to go Ethernet from my OTP a new router. What would I have to differently if I did?
    Thanks for all your help!

5. Betrthanren

Betrthanren New Member

Mar 23, 2020

Advertisements

PERFECT! Thanks for all your help!

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    No, your proposed setup would continue to work; the router would just have its WAN configuration flipped, with no effect on the rest of your setup.