FiOS Router/MoCa with Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by CynPiz, Mar 1, 2015.

1. CynPiz

CynPiz Member

Dec 30, 2009

Advertisements

I am looking for an advanced networking guru to assist with this issue.

I currently have a FiOS Modem/Router combo unit that is being used with MoCa for my TiVo DVR. I have an Airport Extreme and an Airport Express also connected to the FiOS Router since I need them in order to extend the Wifi signal to the entire house. The FiOS Router is handing out addresses to the Tivo Via MoCa and to the Extreme via wired connection. The peripherals (iPad, Mac, iPhone) that are wirelessly communicating via the wifi network are not being 'seen' by the TiVo because the Tivo is on the FiOS network and the others are on the Extreme/express wifi network.

Is there a way to consolidate these two networks so that they are all able to communicate with each other? I remember trying to use the 'bridge' function when I initially set this up about 2 years ago and for some reason the devices did not work properly together. Might I have been doing something fundamentally wrong?

In case you are wondering...When I change my iPad, iPhone, to the FiOs network, they are able to communicate with the TiVo (connected via MoCa) but the signal is way too low so I have to extend...

I have also posted this issue on the Apple Support forum for feedback...
    Cynthia

2. sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm by no means an "advanced networking guru" but I have the FiOS router, an Apple Time Capsule, Airport Extreme and Airport Express all running together without issue. The Time Capsule is connected directly to the FiOS router, the Extreme to a switch and the Express to a MoCA Network adapter. All three are in "Bridge Mode" with their own network names. They communicate with each other reliably. You might want to try "Bridge Mode" again? (Also, I do not use the wireless signal from my FiOS router. I have it deactivated.)

3. CynPiz

CynPiz Member

Dec 30, 2009
    This is helpful...But a few questions first:
    Do you have the router/modem combo unit? Or is it simply a FioS router?

4. sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    I have the FiOS Quantum Gateway router. I previously had the FiOS Actiontec Rev. I router and it worked in the same manner. FiOS doesn't use a modem because of the ONT installed inside - or outside - your home.

5. CynPiz

CynPiz Member

Dec 30, 2009

Advertisements

I have an Actiontec...I was under the impression that it was a modem/router combo...That's what the technician called it when he installed it...But if I understand you correctly, FiOS doesn't require a modem at all? But then why do I need the FiOS router at all? Wouldn't I be able to get the signal without it and just use my own router?

6. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    The tech was just trying to keep it simple when explaining it. What would be the equivalent of the modem is part of the ONT box.

As far as your original question goes, as sangs said, you want them properly set in bridge mode. I'm not an expert either but I know it's doable within the settings.

Regarding the trickier questions, in most Fios TV cases (I'm assuming you have Fios TV and not just internet), only the coax port on the ONT can be active. So running ethernet from the ONT to your own router wouldn't work. The actiontec would be needed.

BUT there are some tricky steps you could follow (called double bridging) to make your own router the primary router and use the actiontec as a moca bridge. If you wanted to do that, it would be accomplished carefully following the steps of Option 5: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

7. sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    You don't need the FiOS router if you don't use any FiOS DVRs or STBs. (And even then, with some configuring, you can get away without it.) However, it's just so much easier to keep the FiOS router connected. For one, you get instant MoCA networking without having to worry about POE filters, changing settings on other hardware, etc. And secondly, if you ever have any issues and need technical assistance from Verizon, you'll be out of luck without having the FiOS router connected. I don't mean this as an insult, so please don't take it that way, but it doesn't seem like your networking experience is strong, so I think you'd be better off keeping the FiOS router connected in your setup. But if you want to give it a shot, follow that DLSReports link that BigJimOutlaw provided you and have at it.

8. CynPiz

CynPiz Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Apple community said the same about using bridge mode with the Extreme - As soon as I have a straight hour our two I'm going to follow his directions and see if it works. I recall trying this in the past and having some kind of weird conflict with the extreme and the FiOS router.

Thanks for giving me the info about ONT - I am interested in understanding the technology even if I don't want to tackle it.

I'll let you know if I get this working properly
    :cool: