FiOS rolling out IPTV making Tivos 'not work' SOON!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by philhu, May 17, 2010.

1. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ

Advertisements

This is from the Verizon Fios Forums.......It looks like 3 years is about here. WHERE IS A FIX TO MAKE IT WORK ON TIVOS?

Just so you guys know, several SD channels are expected to go to an IPTV format by the end of the year. This would be seamless on Verizon boxes, but TIVO users would no longer be able to recieve these channels, at least until the "home gateway" in 2012. Another planned improvement is phasing out all qip 2xxx and 6xxx boxes to enable a switch to MPEG 4 encoding , which would enable 3 "uncompressed" HD channels per QAM easily. All of this is expected by the end of this year, along with the new 7232 DVR with external expansion support enabled and a true 16:9 Guide. Whether any of this is actually done by christmas, is anybody's guess.

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Sd channels going to IPTV is fine for me since I very rarely watch an SD channel. I would be more concerned about the HD channels.

Although just switching to MPEG4 would give FiOS a large amount of available space to add more channels which would also negate the need for moving channels to IP delivery.

I would expect any channels moving to IP delivery to be the least watched channels.

3. blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    +1

4. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I can see several of my friends andbfamily dropping tv when this happens. They still use sd since they either havent made the hd switch or their hd set died and they dont want to spend the money right now to replace the broken set.

Personally when I cant use my own hardware I am dropping them for tv. It is too easy to get the content elsewhere especially since I dont watch sports.

Do you have a link to the post?

5. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...

Advertisements

I am here with the others as I rarely watch SD channels.

Question 1

Does IPTV mean that if I choose to watch an SD channel that Verizon would send that channel over the internet specifically to just my box or are they still broadcasting all the channels to everyone as I assume the model is right now and I just pick the channel I want to watch?

Question 2

Would the transition to MPEG 4 have any impact on TiVos?

I kind of assumed that Verizon just sent out the same signal in its digital form as the content provider sent. Hence why NBC broadcasts suck when trying to fast forward and one hour HD shows can vary in size from 4 GB to over 7 GBs. Would this mean that Verizon would now convert everything?

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    1. Yes, IPTV means that it is sent over the Internet connection only to the boxes requesting it, not "broadcast" at all on the QAM. You as user will not notice that though. The bandwith used does not count as Internet usage though, but can affect bandwidth for it.

2. For now, Seiries 3/4 TiVos will be affected, until/if they find a way to receive/decode MPEG4 cable channels. The hardware is very likely capable of decoding it, it is just a matter of software I think.

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    I wonder if they are moving only SD because it's a channel that has an HD version so they can continue to give the HD version to cablecard subs..

I could see ruffling a lot more regulatory feathers if they took away BOTH SD and HD channels and moved them to IPTV- effectively killing cablecard support- like every SDV did before the tuning adapter.

Doesn't seem like now is the best time politically to be peeing on cablecard, with the FCC deciding on the final allvid rules and the like.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I'd be a little bummed about the SD switchover since it saves me disk space if the shows isn't in high def anyway. I sometimes record both SD and HD versions if the quality level is unknown and then delete the HD version if it turns out to be a SD show.

As for the MPEG4 switchover, if there's no hardware solution to get the Series 3, Tivo HD, etc. to work, then I'd be dropping FiOS too. :( I borrowed their high def PVR for about a week and it's not a great substitute for TiVo HD, IMHO.

Is this all FUD? I don't follow FiOS or cable provider forums. I have little interest in doing so.

9. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    I like Verizon's FiOS, but if they break my TiVo I'll go running back to Comcast so fast it'll leave them wondering what happened.

10. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    They already support MPEG4 -- it's used with TiVoCasts, YouTube, etc. And TiVo HDs are actually recording MPEG4 from cable in New Zealand (I think). So, pretty good odds that they'll work. Although "MPEG4" is a fairly broad concept...

For that matter, there's no reason the TiVos couldn't support IPTV (including Verizon's current VoD), but that would require cooperation from Verizon.

11. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    What keeps you from connecting the Verizon SD Set top box to the TiVo and controlling it with the IR blaster? I kinda doubt that Verizon intends to not connect televisions to its TV service, and if you can get it on a(n) (SD) TV you can get it on a(n) SD TiVo.

12. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    Perhaps even more difficult, it would require cooperation from TiVo. If you own a TiVo S3 or TiVo HD, Tivo's answer might very well be "buy a Premiere".

I have an even worse problem. My Verizon service will soon switch to Frontier Communications. There's no telling what will happen when those hicks take over.

13. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

so people with HD tivo's should trade in their boxes and go get an S2 and forgo all HD programming to get a few SD channels? Or people should buy 2 tivo's (one HD and one SD) and pay another 7 bucks a month to record SD also?

people just need to give up on the SD channels. Eventually cable is going to start bailing on SD versions too. One day the broadcast channels are going to bail on their SD versions too and people with square tv's will just need to watch letterboxes HD.

the more I think about it the more it makes sense that they move SD channels with HD counterparts to IPTV. And then use IPTV as their version of SDV. As more and more people go HD, the sd versions are watched less and less and become better candidates for SDV/IPTV.

14. Electro960

Electro960 New Member

Feb 7, 2006
    Just for curiousity, where are your sources from? I've been hearing for a few years now that Verizon plans to push some linear channels to IPTV but haven't seen any official announcement as to when this is actually going to happen.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I just found it at http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-T...o-switch-back-to-satellite/td-p/195044/page/2. :rolleyes: Who knows how true this stuff is or if the poster is blowing smoke.

I also record SD versions of shows where I know it's only in SD or where I don't care about the PQ (like the news) and would rather have it take up less space.

16. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    One of the forum posters suggest FiOS is only switching some SD channels to IPTV so it won't affect people with cable cards (including tivo).

People who are recording SD the channel so save hard disk space may want to upgrade.

17. mixedday1

mixedday1 New Member

Feb 19, 2009
    There are international channels sold by Verizon also that are only in SD. That'd screw the Verizon customer with a TiVo Series 3 with cable cards, with internationals, no longer having ability to receive programming.

18. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    DirecTV simply doesn't offer SD locals for some locations. They give you all HD equipment at SD rates. They disable HD output on the box unless you pay the HD fee of $10/month, but SD output is no additional charge. I prefer to crop instead of letterbox, but that's adjustable.

The main problem will be that some S3/Premiere owners may have to upgrade to a package that includes HD, even if they have all SD TVs, to get channels they like. But most S3 owners would have HDTVs already, or else why buy an S3 in the first place? S2 owners would be unaffected, as they already have a Verizon box.

So, aside from using more disk space, I don't see it as a big deal.

19. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Am I wrong or did I read the original complaint being that the SD channels are going to disappear off the clear cable?

I agree that 10 years from now channels with only SD content will be like a channel today only being in black and white...but even then there will be 20% of television stubbornly being analog SD only. ;)

For me, I'm going to put my SD S2 on a SD UVerse STB to add the content to the TiVo MRV mix. That will hold me for a few years.

20. pL86

pL86 Member

Oct 11, 2009
    New York City
    Err, why are we wringing our hands over this when the post on Verizon's forums that's the source of this "scoop" isn't written by a Verizon employee but a forum member over there with 14 total posts who doesn't offer any evidence or sourcing for the claim?