FiOS Quantum

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by larrs, Dec 15, 2014.

1. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW

Advertisements

I am moving and am going to Verizon FiOS. I have a few questions about Tivos. First I am being told I have to have one Fios set top on my account but I can tell the tech I don't want it when he comes to install. Is this true?

Next I am asked how many tvs I want on the account. I plan to go one Roamio Pro, one Elite XL 4 (so I will have 10 tuners) and 4 minis. I assume I only need to tell him 2 as that is all the cablecards I need, correct?

Lastly, they are requiring their upgraded modem/router. Can I not use my own router with FiOS?

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wait, do you already have the XL4? If you don't, I'd suggest just getting two Roamios.. Maybe that is "too many" tuners for you, but you won't be paying any more for the cable cards, and it would be the current hardware, which will always be supported the longest.

Also, if you're trying to save money, you can get Roamio Plus and just put in a 3 TB drive yourself, though that technically voids the warranty. The only difference between a Plus and a Pro is the bigger hard drive inside.

3. NSPhillips

NSPhillips Member

May 31, 2007
    Yeah, they will bring a box, but you can just tell them not to install. And yeah, you need just the two cable cards, but there's a good bet the guy won't actually have them. If you're lucky he might have them in his truck, but they usually are missing from the work order. As long as you have coax or ethernet anywhere you want a Mini, the guy shouldn't have to touch them.

They definitely won't install and activate without using their router. If they pull coax off the ONT, you will need it to bridge to Ethernet. If they hook you up with Ethernet, it might be possible to swap their router out after the fact, but I'm not sure. The main feature it offers is the MoCA bridge, which you already have with the Roamio.

4. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Are you still running 5 full TiVo's? The cable cards are going to eat your lunch at $5 each per month... As Mattock said, trading in a couple of those TiVo's for a Roamio and Mini's would be a worth while consideration.

5. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003

Advertisements

You absolutely can use* your own router. Just make sure they provision Internet service over Ethernet instead of MoCA. (Note: there is no modem in the FiOS system. The Verizon-supplied routers include built-in MoCA adapters, but no modems per se.)

I can't answer re: the STB requirement, since I did actually get one when I first subscribed, but currently have none. I'm not sure they can legally impose a requirement like that, but when did that ever stop The Phone Company... On the number of TVs, I'd say zero, because it's none of their business, unless they're running lines to them (and if they are, they'll charge for that). There are no "outlet" fees, just box or card rental.

* That's "use"; I dunno about "install", since again I did use their router initially. However, there's nothing they need to do with the router, so I'd assume you could waive any such "requirement".

And you can absolutely switch routers at any time, post-installation, if you're using Ethernet. You should just be prepared for a few hours of downtime, as you wait for the old router's DHCP lease to expire.

6. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    Thanks for the replies. I am selling all my Tivos except the elite4 and the mini I have....adding Roamio and more minis.

The house has Ethernet everywhere so I planned to do that. If they set it up Ethernet, can I still use the Tivos via MOCA?

7. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Yes, and FIOS already has it on the network (with the supplied actiontec router) so no need for a Moca bridge.

8. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Why would you want to?

9. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    It's free bandwidth. Less traffic on the Ethernet. It was real easy to setup with FiOS.

10. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    That seems like a lot of tuners to me. Let's assume you have 4 people in the house. Someone is not watching TV, someone is watching something from disk, and someone is watching Netflix and one person is watching live TV. Presumably two people sometimes watch TV together.

I could see how once in a while you will hit a bottleneck, but it shouldn't happen that often. Or am I being naive?

Maybe you have more than 4 people in the house.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I hit six tuners in use every day and that is just one person. Of course it's a TiVo. You record what you want. You don't have to watch everything you record. Although it was the same way with VCRs in the 20th century too. I have never watched everything I recorded over the last thirty years.

12. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    I have tried to be more selective and only recording the shows I always watch. I figured I would use the VOD from the cable to watch other things. Problem is that I fall asleep. The cable VOD won't hold it's place for very long (like Netflix) and since the Fast Forward is disabled I must watch the entire show and commercials again. Sometimes that puts me to sleep again, so I have to watch it a third time to see the end.

So there is something to be said for recording everything, and then deleting what you don't want.

13. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    Coffee.

14. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    There are several times a week that we max out our current 4 tuners and two on another premiere- with 5 networks all airing shows we are interested in, not to mention FX, USA, A&E and AMC. With only 6 tuners, I am concerned with all the minis that we would not have enough tuners to record everything and be able to watch, say Monday night football live. Of course, we may not ever watch everything we record, but we often catch up during the summer.

15. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    Not to mention I don't want to pay Verizon $12 for a cable box to access On Demand. Basically, my Tivos, my media server, Vudu and Netflix are my On Demand.

16. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    ...with or without cream?

17. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    + BitTorrent. :D

18. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    The ONT is the equivalent to the modem in a FIOS setup, although I guess an ONT technically isn't a modem.

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It's an Optical Network Terminal. WHich converts fiber-optic light signals to copper/electric signals.

20. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    Which is a MOdulation/DEModulation process, so it does qualify as a modem, it just modulates a light frequency instead of a radio frequency or audio frequency.