FIOS pixelization all of a sudden, and it's getting worse

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jtonra, Nov 14, 2015.

1. jtonra

jtonra Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Wilmington,M...

Advertisements

I've had a roamio with a couple of minis using verizon fios for a couple years now. It's been working perfectly with no issues until very recently. In the last month or so, it has started to get flakey. First, very rarely and on just a couple channels. Now it seems to be happening more and more frequently and on more channels. Is this indicative of a FIOS/signal problem or a TiVO problem? How do I diagnose this? I'm guessing that they'll each point the finger at the other guy.

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    A lot more information might be helpful. How is your internet working? Are you using Verizon's router? Have you tried rebooting all of your equipment including the ONT? How are you connecting to the router with your Tivos?

3. jtonra

jtonra Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Wilmington,M...
    I didn't go into details since nothing has changed since before the problems started. Of course if you think they'll be helpful...

ONT is connected to a Verizon installed coax splitter (6 way). One of splitter outputs goes to the TiVo. One goes to the router. Router is an actiontec (not the one supplied by verizon - I upgraded that a couple years ago to one with gig E). I have other network equipment in the house (access points, etc) but again, none of it has changed in months (at least).

General network speeds as well as internet access are all fine. 90% of my channels are fine but a handful have minor pixelation and a couple are essentially unusable. Signal strength is showing in the 65-68% range. SNR is around 27. I've never had cause to look at these before so I don't know if they've changed or not.

I have rebooted everything including a hard reset (battery removal) of the ONT.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

4. nkline

nkline New Member

Apr 8, 2010
    A signal strength that low will definitely cause pixelation. You could test this by decreasing the signal through attenuation and seeing all your channels exhibit this issue. It is possible the signal for those channels is weaker for some reason from the source assuming you have tried those same channels on all 6 tuners. I would think, given nothing has changed on your end, that it is a problem upstream from you.

5. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015

Advertisements

Hi,
    It is possible that there may be something wrong with your Tivo, but it's much more likely that the problem is on Verizon's end from the ONT or further upstream. Verizon's signal strength is notoriously hot. If your readings are accurate, there has to be something else wrong that only Verizon is likely to fix. I would be calling them, but without a Verizon router, they usually will just schedule a truck roll....could take a couple of days. Good luck

6. No_VA

No_VA New Member

Sep 27, 2015
    This seems to be happening with some frequency. I'm having similar problems with Verizon in Virginia. Only channels I can get are 604 (Bloomberg) and 780 (Disney?) and they are pixelated. TiVo's signal strength meter shows signal for these channels, but not others. This started about five days ago with a few channels, and then all channels save these two went out. I'm on my second card and that's not working. Could be TiVo, but I'm thinking Verizon.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  7. jtonra

jtonra Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Wilmington,M...
    Interestingly, the signal strength is the same on all the channels, even the ones that show up fine.

8. VicVinegar

VicVinegar New Member

Sep 18, 2015
    I've had some pixellation issues from time to time. FXX and Velocity being the only ones that I really noticed.

It has actually improved with the Tivo for whatever reason over the Fios DVR or when I had a HD HomeRun running to Windows Media Center.

I did call about FXX once, and of course the phone support said it must be something in my house. Even though internet works fine and the pixellation with the Fios DVR was consistent throughout the house.

I'm not going to pay for their technician to come out, so it is what it is right now.

9. jtonra

jtonra Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Wilmington,M...
    Some follow up for the benefit of future searchers...

It was definitely a FIOS problem. Tech swapped out ONT ==> problem solved. He told me this is fairly common. Told me it usually starts with one or two channels and then gets steadily worse. Wish I had known it would be this easy to fix; I would have done it weeks ago.

10. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    My son is seeing this on some of his channels (we moved him into an apartment with FIOS in August for college). You can watch the signal strength on those channels drop significantly and then go back up to normal on what appears to be a random cycle which corresponds to the pixilation.

Scott