Fios One -- No Cable Card

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ericlhyman, Jun 15, 2019.

1. ericlhyman

ericlhyman Member

May 19, 2001
    Silver...
    Verizon technical support told me that the Fios One 4k service requires use of their own set-top box since they do not plan to provide 4k cable cards for other boxes like Tivos. Is this legal?

2. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

there are no 4k cable cards the cards just decode the signal

Bigg likes this.
  3. exdishguy

exdishguy Active Member

Apr 30, 2004
    FiOS just had a Nascar race on in 4k and it all worked fine for me with Cablecard on my Bolt+. As usual, it sounds like the first level FiOS muppets are providing misinformation.

aaronwt, unclehonkey and fcfc2 like this.
  4. mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Are they going to use IPTV for their 4k service?

5. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    I'm not aware of any indication so far that they will use IPTV for 4K. They have one or two QAM channels right now that they're using for 4K events.

Verizon did extensive beta testing for a next-gen IPTV system a couple years back. It had a whole different UI, hardware and underlying platform than FiOS TV. It was going to support 4K. But for whatever reasons, they decided to scrap the whole thing. Ended up just extending the existing FiOS TV product to the FiOS One system with 4K on QAM.

Meanwhile, they've struck a deal with YouTube TV to redistribute that product to their customers across their 5G Home, FiOS, and Wireless network brands. Wonder when YTTV starts streaming sports in 4K? Not doing so is starting to put them in a bad light given how much 4K is available on Fubo TV, DirecTV, DISH, Altice and now Comcast and Verizon getting in on it too.

But to return to the OP, if you have a TiVo Bolt, you only need a regular CableCARD from Verizon FiOS to gain access to their new 4K channel(s). See more info about it here:
    Verizon FiOS: First 4K broadcast tonight 5/11

Bigg and mschnebly like this.
  6. dmurphy

dmurphy Home Again

Jan 16, 2002
    They're not wrong, just a bit disingenuous - "FiOS One" is their newer set-top box offering, and does not use a cablecard. That doesn't mean that you can't get a cablecard, or use a TiVo with FiOS. They just don't brand it as "FiOS TV One" - that's the branding for their own set-top boxes.

That said -- there is NO difference in the live channels you will receive with "FiOS One" boxes vs. "FiOS + TiVo + CableCard".

What you don't get access to with TiVo is Verizon's Video on Demand service, which is what pretty much all of their 4K content is. They've done exactly one 4K broadcast (a NASCAR race) -- and it worked perfectly on my TiVo BOLT+ in 4K.

But, you can use a phone, tablet or desktop to get to the Video on Demand service. I use my iPad for it. Works fine.

Bigg likes this.
  7. dmurphy

dmurphy Home Again

Jan 16, 2002
    No.

They previously had bought Intel's OnCue IPTV service, and were in a fairly late beta of it, when the plug was pulled. I know some (but not all) of the reasons behind why but I'm not really at liberty to discuss any of it. Sorry.

(And no, I wasn't part of the beta at all.)

8. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Misanthrope

Aug 2, 2003
    My understanding is that they've also been providing the Women's World Cup in 4K. I can't vouch for that myself, though.

9. JerryB01

JerryB01 Member TCF Club

Feb 15, 2015
    Northern NJ
    That's correct. FIOS has moved on from their test broadcast and currently has two 4K QAM channels (1498 and 1499) which they're using to broadcast the Women's World Cup. They needed two 4K channels since there are instances during the World Cup when there are simultaneous games. I haven't watched at any time when they're doing simultaneous 4K transmissions but their single 4K transmission World Cup games look great. I can also confirm that all you need for these broadcasts is a Tivo Bolt, a FIOS cable card, a 4K TV, and, from what I've heard, a FIOS package that includes the HD version of channel that's being broadcast in 4K, e.g. you need a package that includes the Fox Sports Channel in order to get the 4K broadcast of the Women's World Cup. The only real problem that I've had with the 4K broadcasts is the Tivo Guide data which is frequently does not have any listing for these two channels, requiring me to schedule manual recordings.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes. But only in UHD and SDR.
    The NASCAR race was in UHD and HDR.
    And of course FiOS has been at their bandwidth limit for years. SO much detail is missing from their channels now from over compression and low bitrates that it is close to vomit inducing. FiOS used to have the best video quality. But for the last few years it seems they have been racing to get get to the crappy level of Comcast for their video quality.

I was considering changing my non sports CUstom TV to a Sports one to be able to checkout the current UHD broadcast. But since it's only in SDR I didn't bother. I had enough of UHD with SDR years ago when I first started watching UHD. So now for me, UHD with HDR is what can be impressive. At least for what it is with broadcast content. Since it really only looks equivalent to the UHD that the streaming services broadcast. Which a UHD BD, with much higher bitrates, blows away.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  11. ericlhyman

ericlhyman Member

May 19, 2001
    Silver...

12. ericlhyman

ericlhyman Member

May 19, 2001
    Silver...
    When the Verizon website asks me about upgrading to Fios One, it automatically adds the cost of the set-top box and Fios DVR to the cost. I want the increased internet speed from 100 mbps to 1,000 mbps, but I want to continue using the cable cards in my Tivos Is anybody currently doing this with Fios One TV?

13. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    As stated earlier, "Fios One TV" refers only to the new boxes and although they don't have cable cards in them, you can get the same channels minus VOD with their regular boxes or your cable cards. You do not have to have Fios One boxes to signup for 1000/1000 internet as you seem to think.

Bigg likes this.