FIOS / MOCA help - Premier and Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by missdona, Oct 24, 2015.

1. missdona

missdona Member

Apr 19, 2004

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for any help.

I have my Premier in my bedroom next to my router and my Roamio Plus in the living room and would like to set up a MOCA network for them.

I have the splitter in place to split the coax out from the wall in place to go to the actiontec router and to the premier. The Roamio has a coax to the wall.

I go through the steps to set up the MOCA connection on the Premier and the Roamio, and everything appears to be fine. The issue is once enabled, all wireless traffic dies. The wireless ID broadcasts but all devices disconnect and cannot reconnect.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    FiOS systems usually create a MoCA network for you. Adding a new MoCA adapter in the wrong way would create an ethernet loop that would wreak havoc.

I'm a little confused by your description. When you say "Premier in my bedroom next to my router" I'm assuming that this router already has ethernet functioning and the "actiontec router" is a MoCA adapter and your Premier is a 2-tuner premier?

If my assumptions are correct, then you probably don't need the splitter or the MoCA adapter, and you can just connect coax directly from the wall to the Premier and connect a Cat5e/6 cable from the router to the Premier.

If my assumptions are wrong, please specify the make/model of all your equipment and which version of the Premier you have.

3. missdona

missdona Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Thank you for your quick response.

Router (Verizon issued Actiontec FIOS-G1100) has functioning ethernet. The premiere is a 4 tuner Premiere, the Roamio is a Roamio Plus. I have no MoCA adapters separate from the TiVos.

From my understanding, I should not need a MoCA adapter because both tivos come with it built in.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  4. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    If the router is connected to coax, make sure the ethernet is disconnected from both DVRs.

You don't need either box to create the moca network since it's already provided by the Fios router.

5. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008

Advertisements

What he said. If you had connected a Cat5e/6 cable to either TiVo and set it to "Create a MoCA network" then that could easily have caused the problem. If you didn't have any connection to the ethernet port on either TiVo, or neither one was set to "Create a MoCA network" them I'm baffled.

6. missdona

missdona Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I disconnected the ethernet cable and tried again with no luck.

I called TiVO support and they did a great job walking me through it and fixing what I messed up. The put the MOCA channel (I think) to auto and made sure the MOCA network was only turned on in one place. Because I have FIOS, I did not have to create a MOCA network on the TiVO, and I think that was my misstep. I still don't understand why the wifi cut out when I enabled it, but everything is working now, and I'm grateful! Thanks to everyone for responding.