FIOS IPTV and Tivo compatibility

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by wesbc, Jun 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jun 7, 2017 #1 of 94
    wesbc

wesbc Member

Mar 16, 2003

Advertisements

I received an email about a new FIOS video trail they are running. I just got off the phone with them on getting it setup and am told this is for IPTV. I told them I'm currently using my Tivo Roamio and was told that is fine and it will work.

Is this true? Just my initial search I can't not find much detail other that the one tread "Tivo vs IPTV dilemma" which indicates IPTV is not compatible. So is FIOS IPTV product something different?

2. Jun 7, 2017 #2 of 94
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
  3. Jun 7, 2017 #3 of 94
    wesbc

wesbc Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Thanks for the link. That is what I was afraid. I'm not familiar with IPTV so I was uncertain. I asked the several time to confirm that my Tivo will work and the guy said yes. That's what I get talking to a "sales" guy. Guess I'll have to live without my Tivo for 3 months. Trade off for free service I suppose.

4. Jun 7, 2017 #4 of 94
    Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    I wouldn't do it. We don't know how much of a PITA it will be to get switched back to QAM for TiVo...

5. Jun 8, 2017 #5 of 94
    wesbc

wesbc Member

Mar 16, 2003

Advertisements

Can't pass up 3 months free. At least it's the off season so won't miss too much recordings. My backup would be to go back to OOL.

6. Jun 8, 2017 #6 of 94
    NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    As long as you're keeping the ONT you have now, it shouldn't be a problem to switch back to QAM TV and TiVo, I'd think.

7. Jun 8, 2017 #7 of 94
    BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    IPTV is incompatible with Tivo. I suppose the Amazon and Youtube apps would work over WiFi, but you cannot watch TV.

When you switch to IPTV, MoCA disappears. It's all WiFi. If you don't already have Cat6 connections, they'll most likely replace your ONT with the one that has a built-in WiFi router. Then you'll have the IPTV-only ONT whether you wanted it or not.

No Tivo customer should even remotely think about getting IPTV. There is no guaranteed way to get back. It's all "probably", "should be able to", and "maybe" at this point.

8. Jun 8, 2017 #8 of 94
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  9. wesbc

wesbc Member

Mar 16, 2003
    So here's my update. Got the new IPTV installed yesterday.

My ONT was upgraded from the big white model to now a small black box. This does still have the coaxial output! Was told this was done for the data speed increase. They upgraded my old Actiontec router to the new Quantum Gateway router. The IPTV is a 2 device hookup. A central DVR is connected to the router and a client (Tivo mini) is connected to the TV.

When the tech got everything working, he reconnected my coaxial connection and my Tivo was still working! I was very excited, but that was short lived. Within 15min after the tech leaving the Tivo connection was disabled. Figuring they removed my old equipment (cablecard) from my account I called tech support but was told that I can't have both working at the same time even though sales had said it will work and install tech have no clue. Something about interruptions between the two services if both active even though for 20 or so minute they were both working fine!

Long story short, for now with the new IPTV rollout, there is a way to go back to the old QAM service and continue using our Tivo.

Short review of the IPTV, it's a neat setup being that it's wireless. Quality seems pretty good. The new interface is definitely something to get use to but quite cumbersome. Takes too many button press to bring up a guide and now the guide is broken down into categories. They did away with channel numbers. Remote has no number keypad.

Worst part is the DVR only has 10 hours! There's a greyed out button to "Add more storage" but no clue if this would be a cost associated to it. Gonna fill up that 10 hours and see.

aaronwt likes this.
  10. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    I've read that the new ONTs that are being rolled out in conjunction with the new IPTV service do not support QAM TV. But I've also read that the new IPTV service and the new STBs that deliver it can be used with the current existing ONTs that do support QAM TV. (Of course, any or all of that may be incorrect -- but that's what I read, based on leaks, over at DSLReports.com) If that info is true, you will need to have your new small black ONT traded back out for the previous big white model if you decide to switch back to using TiVo.

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I wonder why they would do that? IPTV only ONTs would still need coax output for MoCa, so why would they not support QAM? FIOS sends the QAM signal over the fiber as-is, so the only conversion happening in the ONT is from light to electrons. It's not actually modulating the QAM signal.

I guess maybe they could build the ONT a little cheaper if it only needs to monitor a certain frequency of light, but I doubt that would be a big cost saver.

12. wesbc

wesbc Member

Mar 16, 2003
    I believe the ONT I got is just a newer/updated ONT so that it will support the higher speed. My old speed data was 15/15, but I think I see myself getting anywhere from 25-50. New speed is 100+, not sure exactly what I gave me. This ONT will indeed support QAM TV since my Tivo worked until they removed it from my account. Stating the QAM channel would cause interference, just like cell phone can crash a plane.

They did say they will have ONT/Gateway all in one device eventually. This was the first install for my tech so he really did not have any info.

So long as I have a way to revert back to QAM TV after this trial, I'm happy. Good thing it's off season for my recordings.

13. tazzmission

tazzmission Active Member

Oct 15, 2002
    North...
    I'd like to try their IPTV setup and their DVR. It's not available here in PA yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    So we're getting two different issues confused here. You were upgraded from a BPON ONT to a GPON ONT. BPON only supports up to 75/75, GPON supports up to 1024/1024, so the 150/150 or 100/100 tier would trigger an upgrade, and IPTV presumably would as well. Both BPON and GPON ONTs support QAM, as they have for upwards of a decade (13 years in the case of BPON). You still have a separate ONT and Quantum Gateway (router). It sounds like you have one of the small ones that can be used either as an indoor ONT, or snapped into a plastic housing and used outdoors/in a basement.

The new ONTs that were shown recently are integrated ONT/routers, and don't do QAM at all, and it looks like they don't use coax at all, instead using Ethernet or wireless for video. What doesn't make sense to me is why they would make an integrated unit, since in most cases, the ONT is near the service entrance/demarc, or on the outside of the house, and the router is in the middle of the house. It may be for MDU installations where the fiber is easily available, as in most SFUs, bringing fiber inside the house would be a lot more work than just running an Ethernet line to replace the existing MoCA Coax connection that can do up to 75/75. I doubt that most SFUs will ever see a fully integrated device, as it's not worth running fiber into the house just to get rid of one device when the existing ONT, or an upgraded GPON ONT can be used with Ethernet to feed either a QAM or IPTV system seamlessly.

tim1724 and aaronwt like this.
  15. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Seems risky to depend solely on Ethernet or Wifi. Wifi can be flaky and Ethernet is not always easy to run to every room. MoCa seems to be ideal in most cases because most people's homes are already wired for coax everywhere they want a TV.

16. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    New ONT/Router Combo Passed Through FCC - Verizon FiOS | DSLReports Forums

I would agree, although it looks to me like this is for smaller homes or apartments, and not so much for larger homes that would keep the traditional ONT/router setup, with separate hardwired phone lines, coax, and Ethernet. OTOH, small apartments can be hellish for wireless interference in large MDUs (looking at you NYC). The whole setup still makes no sense to me, as it requires the tech to run fiber to the router location. It seems to me that the existing ONT/router combo would work just fine for IPTV.

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Me too. Seems odd that they would go this route. Unless the new ONT is just way cheaper then the old one.

18. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Oh, OK. I had assumed that your upgraded ONT was the non-QAM integrated ONT/gateway. But since it's not, but rather just a faster model traditional ONT (which supports QAM), hopefully it won't be any problem for you to switch back to regular TV service that works with your TiVo once your three-month IPTV free trial is over (assuming that's what you want to do).

19. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    What's even weirder is that many homes have already been upgraded to GPON, so they don't need a new ONT at all. The phone integration is kind of cool, but I'm not sure what the incentive for Verizon to get involved in home phone hardware is. It's not exactly a hot market right now, and handing off analog copper pairs at the ONT serves the purpose just fine. They already have newer/cheaper ONTs, and an ONT will always be cheaper than an ONT/router/DECT base/IoT hub/contraption if updated with the same generation of technology. The concept of having fiber truly *in* your home is kind of cool, but serves no practical purpose over having an ONT next to the breaker box in the basement.

20. wesbc

wesbc Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Just looked over the equipment and this is what they installed.

ONT: ARRIS ONT1000G14
    Router: FiOS-G1100
    DVR: IPDVR1200
    STB: IPSTB1200

Connection is pretty simple. Ethernet from ONT to Router. Ethernet from Router to DVR. That's it. STB is wireless and so far works well. But my installation only has 1 STB. Not sure how well it scales out with more. But you can connect the STB with Ethernet if wireless becomes an issue.

Regarding DVR, it would seem like it's cloud based and upgrading from the initial 10HR is quite costly compare to what I have now invested in the Tivo. 120hrs for $15 and $5 more for each 120hrs.

aaronwt likes this.