FIOS Install & Cablecard

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bsmokey, Jul 20, 2011.

1. bsmokey

bsmokey New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Greetings all,

I finally made the choice to switch to FIOS from COX and have an install date of AUG 5. When I was ordering, there was an option to order a Cable card for my TIVO and of course I checked the box.

When I first bought TIVO HD and called COX, it took three guys to figure out how to get the cable card to work. The last guy was a supervisor and he finally figured it out.

Any suggestion to make the transition go better? Should I go ahead and disconnect the COX Tuning Adapter and remove the cable card before Verizon's arrival.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

George Evans

2. rsnaider

rsnaider Active Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    My two installs were very easy. FiOS here on Long Island does not pair the cards or use a Tuning Adapter so once active on the account you are good to go.

I would remove the card and re-run Guided Setup and select FiOS before the install date. When the tech arrives he should only need to put the card in and once active you will get all the channels you subsrbie to.

The above does hold true for Frontier FiOS so if you have that, ignore what I have stated.

3. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    As far as equipment, pull out your COX stuff. Run the guided setup with FiOS as your provider before they get there. Familiarize yourself with the Tivo CableCard menus in case they have problems finding them. Otherwise, chances are it should be relatively painless.

4. Gregor

Gregor save the princess save the world TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    +1

Verizon's techs have a PC app they can connect with to enter cable cards. They don't pair them to the host device. Much, much, much better than the idiots from Comcast.

5. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I have had two Verizon FIOS cable card installs and both went smoothly. Once of the techs had even installed one in a Tivo before.

6. wesmills

wesmills New Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Actually, Verizon does pair devices but since they don't set the CCI flags failure to pair doesn't prevent watching television. All my TiVos say "Val: V 0x01" on the conditional access screen which indicates a successful pair.

Incidentally, that's why a lot of people noticed when Verizon/Frontier started enabling the CCI flag on virtually every channel in the now-Frontier areas. People had either moved CableCARDs around, pairing had failed, or any number of things happened and the cards stopped being able to decrypt channels that were flagged. Since non-Frontier FiOS systems aren't using the flags, pairing isn't an issue.

CableCARDs are installed exactly like every other device Verizon installs. In fact, Verizon will now ship you a CableCARD just like any other set-top box and includes self-activation and installation instructions. (This is per an FCC mandate. I know it's true now because I just installed a 4th CableCARD and was able to do it by myself with their activation website. :D)

7. bsmokey

bsmokey New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Thank you all for the replies. I feel better now and know what to expect. They must really be busy for me to wait 18 day. COX was very pushy when I called to cancel. Ms. Utility was in my yard this AM marking lines.

Again thank you all!

8. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Verizon used to not pair, with single-stream cards (and in fact my single-stream cards are still not paired). It appears they do now, with multi-stream cards.

9. solsurfer

solsurfer Member

Mar 17, 2003
    LA, CA
  10. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    The TiVo gets lots of VoD (Amazon, Netflix, podcasts), but still not from Fios, sorry. The reference to VoD in the WSJ article would only cover VoD delivered over so-called linear channels (regular cable TV); Fios VoD works over TCP/IP.

The TiVo should be perfectly capable of handling Fios VoD, too, but it would require a software update. So far nothing has come.