FiOS - how do I make it work with my TiVo's?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by NoVa, Jan 26, 2020.

1. NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa
    So have been a Comcrap user for like 20 years.
    Am getting too old to put up with the 3 card monty rate game every 1-2 years.
    Plus the inferior speeds & compressed 720P PQ.
    FiOS is a legit competitor in my neighborhood.

Current set up:
    Cable > patch panel > Coax + Cat6 > Bolt > Mini's(4)
    Coax connects to each of the Mini's & Coax + Cat6 connects to Bolt that serves as a MoCA bridge for the Mini's.

No ONT @ the moment from VZ so they will have to tunnel & connect from their drop to side of my house.

Question:
    Want to retain my TiVo platform - Heard VZ only does ONT installs with ethernet now - how does that get signal to VZ cable card in my Bolt?

If I give up TiVo & just go streaming TV via Wifi - then I can understand ethernet is only needed to the router & distributed over the top via Roku/Firestick/Chromecast/TiVo dongles.

2. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    TV is Coax from the ONT, Internet is Ethernet from the ONT.

NoVa likes this.
  3. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    And you can do Moca to get the network connection to the TiVo and Minis.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    No mention of current modem/router location. Location of FiOS gateway relative to the BOLT and what you plan on using as your gateway (leased vs owned) will matter.

See also:

5. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    If possible, make sure that they install the ONT near your Tivo so that you do not have to deal with extra splitters, etc before the Tivo.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    ONT or gateway?

7. DVR_Dave

Apr 19, 2017
    My set up:

ONT -> Coax -> 3 way splitter (to TiVo / to Mini / to G1100 gateway (originally for Internet + MoCA, now just MoCA)

Recently contacted Verizon to switch ONT WAN from Coax to Ethernet
    ONT -> Ethernet -> G1100 gateway

NoVa likes this.
  8. NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa
    Am intepreting that i would need the VZ gateway (G1100) to make the cable card work in the Bolt - true?

If true, was trying to advoid another "router" sitting next to my own ASUS 86U router.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  9. NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa
    Current location of my separate cable modem & router is in a patch panel closet in center of house about 40ft away from the Bolt in family room.
    The patch panel has a coax splitter (supplied by a Comcast coax) that goes to all Mini's & bolt location.

A recurring theme it seems is that a VZ gateway will be needed if I am to get signal to the cabel card - true?

If true, the ONT install will require a Coax into my patch panel AND ethernet also - true?

10. DVR_Dave

Apr 19, 2017
    No, the CableCARD receives data via Coax. Coax would run from ONT to Bolt.

I'm currently using the G1100 to create the MoCA network which provides internet to my Roamio Plus; I'm using MoCA because there is no ethernet where my Roamio Plus is located.

NoVa likes this.
  11. DVR_Dave

Apr 19, 2017
    The ONT would replace your cable modem. Everything else should remain the same.

Basically remove coax and ethernet from cable modem, install ONT, plug same coax and ethernet into ONT.

NoVa likes this.
  12. NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa
    Well i have a separate cable modem & router - so I think you mean instead of the coax coming from cable - it will now come from the ONT & the router's ethernet (which was attacched to the cable modem prior) will also eminate from the ONT - true?

Ah ok. So if my Bolt has the MoCA bridge on board already, can I just have the VZ installer run a coax from the ONT into my coax splitter in the patch panel - which feeds the Bolt & all the Mini's?

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, in a typical modern FiOS install, TV reception requires a coax connection from the ONT to your TV devices, and the Internet (WAN) connection a Cat6 link between the ONT and home router.

If MoCA is needed and MoCA bridging isn’t built-in to your chosen router, a MoCA adapter or MoCA-capable TiVo DVR can act as the main MoCA bridge, provided connections to both the router Ethernet LAN and the shared coax plant. Also, though not needed for security, a “PoE” MoCA filter would still be beneficial for MoCA network performance & efficiency.

Yes, a coax run from the ONT to your distribution splitter would replace the coax feed to the splitter from Comcast, and the BOLT could provide the required MoCA bridging for your Minis provided connections from the BOLT to both the shared coax plant (already required for TV tuning) and your non-MoCA router’s Ethernet LAN.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    NoVa likes this.
  14. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    The ONT is the thing that takes the fiber and outputs Ethernet and Coax. So ideally you want it placed close to where the Tivo will be so that you don't have to go through lots of splitters or anything else that might affects your signal.

15. jonw747

jonw747 Active Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Verizon won't give you the same rate after your contract is up either. You'll either have to play the threaten to leave game, or bounce back and forth between the two providers. They'll give you a little deal if you lock in to a new contract.

16. jay_man2

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    You must have missed the news that Verizon is doing away with contracts and has a new mix and match offer.

jonw747 likes this.
  17. DVR_Dave

Apr 19, 2017
    Which raises my current double play by ~$25/month. :(

18. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    You typically don't get to choose where that goes. That's fine, the FIOS ONT outputs a very strong signal.

19. jay_man2

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    That sucks. I’ll wait until my current agreement runs out to see how much I’m screwed, but if I bend over much more I’ll snap in half.

20. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    They asked us where we wanted it-it depends a lot on whether it's a new installation.