Fios Ethernet Only Setup

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by gbo000, Nov 27, 2018.

1. gbo000

gbo000 New Member

Nov 27, 2018

Advertisements

I am looking to have a Bolt and a Mini in my home using Verizon Fios. I plan on using all my equipment with the exception of the ONT and the Cable Card for the Bolt. I have my Router directly connected to the ONT via Ethernet. I have Ethernet available in both the location for the Bolt and the location for the Mini. My question is, when connecting my Bolt, I will connect it via Ethernet - Do I also need to connect the Bolt Coax to the ONT Coax or can I get everything over the single Ethernet connection? If I do need to connect the Coax, do I need a filter?
    Im not sure which of the 2 pics attached I should use.
    Sorry if this has been answered, all the searching reverences Moca set up and I could not find an answer to this. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Attached Files:

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Coax connection from the ONT to the BOLT is required for the cable TV signals to be delivered to the BOLT.

Your diagram is correct, though I did a bit of cleanup for clarification...

Image1.png

3. gbo000

gbo000 New Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Thank you very much this is very helpful. Can I assume that a Coax POE filter is not necessary between the ONT and the Bolt?

4. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    With Fios a MoCA filter is not required for security as the MoCA lan signals do not pass beyond the ONT, but it will do no harm and can boost the MoCA frequencies a bit.

5. Pete716

Pete716 Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Buffalo, NY

Advertisements

In your scenario, the mini will be connected via ethernet. You won't be using MoCA at all, so you can skip the filter.

6. gbo000

gbo000 New Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Awesome, thanks both. I appreciate the help. I will connect the Bolt to the ONT with Ethernet and Coax with no filter. I will connect the Mini with just Ethernet. Im not currently worried about signal strength as the Bolt will be the only thing connected via Coax with a direct connection about 10' away.
    Thanks again

7. Dec 9, 2018 #7 of 10
    gbo000

gbo000 New Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Hello, I have one more question that I am looking for confirmation on. I need to use the Fios G1100 Router for a couple of weeks and I dont understand one aspect. I have seen post that have the ONT Ethernet running to the G1100 WAN then the G1100 LAN to the Tivo. The Coax runs from the Fios ONT to a splitter - one Coax to the Tivo and the other to the G1100. Do I need to run Coax to the G1100 in this case? I would assume that I could run the Coax from the ONT to the Tivo (bolt) directly and just use the G1100 to pass the Ethernet for now, am I mistaken? Also, do I need any settings changed other than just running the guided setup? The reason I ask is I believe I have a cable card issue and I want to confirm I have done everything correctly on my end before calling verizon. Thanks again for any help.

8. Dec 9, 2018 #8 of 10
    gbo000

gbo000 New Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Here are the 2 options I am looking at to give a visual

Attached Files:

9. Dec 9, 2018 #9 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Perhaps for FiOS setups where the TiVo box is connecting via MoCA, rather than strictly Ethernet as you are doing.

If you're not using MoCA then the G1100 doesn't require a coax connection. Your Opt1 diagram is the correct setup, with a direct coax connection from the ONT to the BOLT.

10. gbo000

gbo000 New Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Thanks, that worked perfectly. Verizon had to reactivate the card - the main issue was on their end. Now I am up an running. I appreciate the help.

krkaufman likes this.