FIOS DC/MD/VA Full 100 HD rollout - no guide data!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by AbMagFab, Oct 30, 2008.

1. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001

Advertisements

Well, Tivo dropped the ball again... new channels rolled out here in DC/MD/VA, and no guide data. Forced a couple connections, and checked the web site - nada.

Without guide data, the channels are basically useless (except for seeing them and going "wow").

I pay Tivo for basically this exact service, and it's disappointing they can't keep current. I don't pay Tribune or Verizon for this service, I pay Tivo, so it's not an excuse to me to blame someone upstream. Especially with FIOS, which has basically the exact same channel lineup in all areas. Tivo could just turn on the NYC channel lineup in DC/MC/VA + locals, and be done.

Grrrr...

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    I'm not sure how TiVo can do that when Verizon doesn't tell them or their guide data provider (Tribune) about the change in advance. No one outside Verizon engineering knew this change was coming today. Until this morning, Verizon's online program guide still listed the new channels as "coming soon."

That said, I would like to see TiVo and Tribune do a better job at responding to changes made by various providers. I would like to see guide data on new channels within two business days of launch; I think that's reasonable to expect of a pay service.

3. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    I knew about it at 9am this morning. If I were Tivo, I could have had the new channel lineup available by noon.

There's no excuse. This is a big piece of what we pay them for. As I said before, you/they can't keep blaming Tribune. And if you/they do, then how about you have us stop paying you if you simply pass on whatever Tribune says?

Add value and you get my money. Don't add value and there's no reason to pay.

And no, 48 hours is unacceptable. After the last realignment, to be unable to record anything for 2 days (up to 2 weeks in some areas) is not okay. It's the only use for the device, and having it out-of-service for that long is just lazy.

Come on Tivo, get your act together!

4. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    Another day, no guide data... Tivo sucks.

5. nemein

nemein New Member

Jul 2, 2008

Advertisements

So were there any changes or just channels being added? ... wondering if I got my Thur night shows now or not :confused:

6. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    Just a ton of channels added. Nothing should have broken, but we can't record anything on the new HD channels without the guide data.

Verizon did their job - they got us the new channels. Tivo didn't do theirs.

7. segadc

segadc New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    I just got the HD Extreme Package so hopfully Tivo will update their listings soon!

8. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Have you called TiVo? They know about the problem and can give you a temporary fix. I assume (but do not know for sure) that they are caught in the middle with Verizon. The problem seems to be that Verizon does not roll out the channel realignment to an entire area all at once - they take several days. Since TiVo is keyed by zip code, if Verizon does not do all of a zip code at the same time, there is no way for TiVo to please everyone. How would you have liked it if TiVo changed your guide data as soon as Verizon started updating customers in your area but BEFORE you got the realignment? It wasn't just adding new channels - they moved a LOT of existing channels too.

If you bother to call TiVo tech support, they will tell you to reset your zip code to one near you that has already been completed. This will resolve your problem.

There were two drawbacks I found with this solution. After Verizon got done with the roll-out in my area, that "wrong" zip code seemed to trigger a periodic message from TiVo once a week or so that I had lost my channel lineup and needed to re-do guided setup! But as soon as I responded to that message, I would get another one that said "never mind, you have decided not to use cable at all so the previous message does not apply." Thankfully, just clearing the second message would show that everything was still working just fine. The second drawback was simply the hassle of resetting all the "channels I receive" after changing the zip code, but after I bit the bullet and reset the zip code to my real code, all those bogus messages went away.

9. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    A) I've submitted an update request to Tivo, yesterday morning. It takes 5-7 days for them to even respond - great customer service!

B) They did our entire area at once, so there's no zipcode that works for me, with my locals

C) Why should I have to call them, and do a workaround? They should just get this working. Certainly by at least today Tivo knows this happened, even if Verizon didn't inform them yesterday. And it's the exact same lineup as the other 12 FIOS regions with the 100+ HD channels (plus DC locals).

You don't understand Verizon FIOS. More than any other cableco, they are extremely consistent across regions, and when they convert, they convert extremely large areas at once.

Bottom line is Tivo should have had this updated yesterday, and it's still not updated, which likely means we have to wait until Monday or later.

I've been a huge Tivo fan for years, but with the initial realignment, and now this new channel addition, Tivo has just screwed up, and burned a lot of good will with customers.

10. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Actually, it is Verizon's job to coordinate with Tribune. Tivo/Tribune will not make these types of changes without verification from Verizon. A thousand people can submit the new lineups but until Tribune can communicate with the selected Verizon rep, the changes aren't going to happen. For most cable companies these changes do not take long to make. However, there seems to be an issue with Verizon not wanting to deal with Tribune like most cable companies do. In my area, Charter has been great to make channel additions with Tribune on the exact day of the changes. The problem with Verizon is they don't seem to have any specific date they roll out changes. It seems to be totally random and not even be the same day in the same city.

11. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    Again that's just nonsense. Verizon has to rollout an entire VHO at a time. That means Manhatten, or DC/MD, or NoVA. They can't do it more granular than that.

And fine, I'll give Tivo 24 hours to get it up and running. However after that, there's no excuse. And Tribuse, Zap, and many other on-line guides that use the same information Tivo uses already have the update. But Tivo doesn't.

I'm not sure why people feel the need to make excuses for Tivo when they are clearly not meeting an implied service level to their customers.

This in entirely a Tivo issue (especially now that we're at the end of day 2).

12. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Usually TiVo guide data is more up-to-date than Zap2It. If you are seeing differences between your lineup and Zap2it, then it's possible you are using a different zip code. Again, Verizon's lineups can differ greatly on neighboring zip codes. I have never seen TiVo's guide data be more than a few hours behind Zap2it. This is a automated process and I have never seen it not update either before or a few hours after Zap2it updates.

13. hannah3

hannah3 New Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Agree completly. RCN switched over to all digital in the metro DC area yesterday with an entirely new line up. Not only does guide not work but Dual Tuner off course now rendered obsolete. No more analog signals period. TIVO service is supposed to ensure that Guide's stay up to date.We new this was coming for 6 weeks! This is why we pay them a monthly fee. As far as DDT, I got 14 months out of the thing and of course no upgrade deal will be offered.

14. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    Well, you're wrong. Go check yourself if you don't believe it:

Zap2It for 20872 FIOS DC-Digital (Herndon) has had, for example, 553 as FX HD since yesterday. Tivo, same options, still doesn't have FX HD listed at all.

Way more than "a couple of hours".

Again, Tivo has dropped the ball. Tribune is updated, Zap is updated, and Tivo isn't. Not sure how you blame anyone but Tivo here.

EDIT: For anyone in the DC/MD/VA area, please call Tivo. They keep claiming they don't have any reports of this issue. You can call them at 877-367-8486, and three example missing channels are 553 FXHD, 617 FBN HD, and 670 TRAV HD.

15. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    There's a complicating issue in this case: The new channels, TTBOMK, are only available with the "Extreme HD" package, except for the premiums. I have the new premiums, but not the others, since I'm still on Premiere (for the next few minutes, anyway). The Premiere package is now a legacy package, but (since the price is different) no one will be moved automatically to Extreme. TiVo might provide separate lineups for Premiere and Extreme, as they used to for analog and digital Fios; in which case, you'd have to rerun guided setup to change lineups, even when keeping your same zip code. But I don't know.

16. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I can guarantee you that you are not running the same lineup (assuming you have forced a connection since then). You are either running a rebuild lineup that is now obsolete or they haven't converted the rebuild lineup to the lineup you are running. It's possible that Zap2it is showing the rebuild lineup although in my experience they don't generally do this. If I were you I would re-run guided setup to pick up the correct lineup.

17. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    I guarantee you you're wrong. You're not listening (reading):

- Go to the Tivo website
    - Enter 20872
    - Pick any of the FIOS options
    - Notice none of the new HD channels

Repeat with Zap, notice all the new HD channels.

Tivo is simply not updating their guide. It's that simple. They dropped the ball, period.

18. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    Well, Tivo appears to have finally updated the guide information as of late last night/early this morning.

Sheesh... took them long enough.

19. Tranquility

Tranquility New Member

Jan 6, 2008
    I still don't have it here in Springfield, zip 22151. I just forced an update, and there is still no guide info for the new channels.

20. thewebgal

thewebgal MacAphile AV geek

Aug 10, 2007
    DC 'burbs
    Okay folks - Not all of you are listing your hometown so I can't tell who is in Fairfax, who's in DC and Who is in MD.

I am in Downtown Fairfax, connected to COX for Cable & Internet service,
    and we still have a bunch of HD TV channels that are not available to us due to the SDV service Cox
    implemented without providing any available "dongle".
    How long have you had FIOS? And, other than this recent channel addition/guide foul-up, are you generally pleased with their service?
    Any other wierdnesses I should know before switching from COX to FIOS?