FIOS and S3 TIVO

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by gelbers, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Sep 9, 2007 #1 of 12
    gelbers

gelbers New Member

Oct 2, 2003

Advertisements

I live in the Boston area and run both FIOS and DTV in my house. I am not happy with the IMG 2.0 for the FIOS DVR and want to switch to S3 TIVO. I have heard there a lot of problems doing this. What are peoples thoughts on this? If I switch now, will I regret it?

Thanks

2. mwr10

mwr10 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    VA
    I had FIOS TV installed this past Friday. I already had FIOS Internet and telephone. The installer arrived at 9:00am and left at 5:00 pm. The installation included 1 SD box, 1 HD box and 4 cable cards into 2 S3's.

The installer had never done a cable card before and actually only had two cards on the truck. He made a quick trip to the office to get 2 more cards and began the install. First was the wiring..he cut house wiring connection to the Comcast feed and connected it to the FIOS feed. He went to each and every outlet and tested the signal at each. He was not happy with the readings. Instead of trying to find the problems (Comcast had multiple splitters and an amp installed) he cut out all of the exiting wiring and replaced it all. For the first time since I bought the house I have a balanced high quality signal at each and every connection.

Next he installed the cable cards following the Tivo sheet and his training. He installed one card in each Tivo and used his laptop to activate them. As soon as they activated guided setup ran and pulled the channel listing and guide data. After installing the second cards and enabling them only one tuner was active on each S3 (could not swap tuners by pressing live tv and could only record one channel on each). While he called the office for some help I reran guided setup a second time on each and that did the trick.

All in all I think it went well. After two and half days of viewing I'm happy with FIOS and the S3's. Ive seen the picture pixelate twice for a second or two on one HD channel and once on one SD channel. I had similar performance from Comcast on the same channels and I could be wrong but I think the local network is the fault. I now get NY and PHL networks so I'll be tracking that assumption.

Based on my experience I'd say go for it. But as always YMMV !

3. SC0TLANDF0REVER

SC0TLANDF0REVER I Love my TiVo!

Dec 9, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
  4. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

Glad to hear your TiVo's working well, but there's no such thing as "local networks".

There are local "channels" or "stations".

5. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...

Advertisements

I'm betting he meant local network affiliate.

6. mulscully

mulscully Member

May 31, 2003
    Malvern, Pa
    Have TivoHD and fios w/2 s cards.. No problems probably getting another when MRV and TTG become available

again YMMV

7. jcherins

jcherins New Member

Oct 8, 2001
    NJ, USA
    I've got two S3's with FIOS (switched from Comcast about 2 months ago) and they work great. Installation was painless. Customer service is light years ahead of cable, and the PQ is noticeably better on both HD and SD.

Go ahead and make the switch, you won't be disappointed.

8. acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    I moved from DirectTV to FIOS/Series 3 not long after the series 3 became available.

It was one of the smoothest installs I've ever had.

The installer was very knowledgeable about Tivo. Went through the menus faster than I could. He provisioned the cable card from a laptop. Everything came up and has been running fine since.

With the FIOS connection the network activity on the Series 3 is fantastic. I can order an Amazon Unbox movie and have it completely available for viewing in under 40 minutes.

I couldn't be happier. I think it is a match, FIOS and S3, made in heaven.

Al

9. F4Boy

F4Boy New Member

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern...
    I agree! Had FIOS installed a week ago with an S3 and it's a wonderful platform. Just do it. I also have a Verizon (Motorola) DVR is a piece of crap. I'll probably replace it with aTivoHD or another S3 in the next few months.

10. gelbers

gelbers New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    can i use a tivohd or do i need a S3? Should i just get the S3? Is it much better than the tivohd?

11. gelbers

gelbers New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    also, do you need 1 or 2 cable cards to get dual functionality? With cable cards does the device need to be plugged into the coax in the wall at all?

12. acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    You can use the Series 3 or the TivoHD with FIOS. I would make the decision based on the feature set of the products.

If your local FIOS is using the M-card you can get by with just one card on the TivoHD.

Otherwise you need two cards for full functionality.

Some people have reported seeing the M-cards but Verizon is burning through their inventory first.

Al