FIOS and my three TIVO types.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ZFAM14, Aug 23, 2011.

1. ZFAM14

ZFAM14 New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    There is a possibility that FIOS may come to my area. AT this time I have Cablevision. I was wondering if FIOS will have any adverse affect on my Premiere, DT, or Single tuner TIVOs.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    (I used to have VZ FiOS which then got transitioned to Frontier before I moved away from WA and now can't get FiOS.)

What do you mean by "adverse affect"? You will need set top boxes for the DT and single tuner units as I believe the ONT emits only digital channels. IMHO, you may as well ditch them.

3. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I have Fios and it works great on my three models. Of course for your Premier you will need a cable card and a cable box to link to your older models...

4. ZFAM14

ZFAM14 New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Thank you. I have cable boxes and cable cards for the Premier with Cablevision. Just wanted to make sure FIOS is the same. Thanks again.

5. rsnaider

rsnaider Active Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Your DT box will only work with one tuner now as FiOS is 100% digital and there is nothing analog for the 2nd tuner to work with.

6. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    No need for a cable box with the Premiere on FIOS. Just get an M-type cablecard from Verizon. That'll let both tuners record. A box would limit you to only one tuner recording.

FIOS supports cablecards, so using Tivos that support cablecards works great.

Also note you can use a TivoHD with old TVs that don't have hi-def inputs. We have a TivoHD connected by s-video to an old TV and it down-converts the HD channels. So you can watch everything, even with an old non-HD television.

The only thing you don't get by using a cablecard setup with FIOS is the on-demand channels. They're only available on one of their boxes. We didn't find their selection compelling enough to put up with their horrible boxes.

7. acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    Just to add, I've been with Fios for years with a Series 3 and their video quality is excellent.

I will say that the ONTs send out a VERY strong signal. So, strong that, for me, I had to put an attenuator on the video signal so that it didn't overwhelm the Tivo.

This may not be a problem with the Premier.

8. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Tivo had an update a while back that made it possible to remove the attenuators on the TiVo HD at least, never needed one on my Preimere.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I never needed one on my TiVo HD. But, I didn't start with FiOS and TiVo HD until ~9/2009. I believe the update came before that.

10. acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    Does anyone know if this applied to Series 3?

I'll probably not run and experiment but would be curious.

11. rage777

rage777 Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Just to clarify, you don't need a cable box for the dual or single tuner Tivos. Fios has a thing called a digital adapter (I think that's what it is called), which costs just as much as a cable card and works like a set top box. The box is a lot smaller than the STB and it comes with the same controller. I use that for my single tuner Tivo and it works fine.

12. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Yes, it does.

13. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    Can't recall exactly when I started using FIOS with the Tivo but I've never had any signal troubles at all. One Tivo is about 9' of cable away from the ONT. The other is about 75' away. Both seem the same strength. This using Verizon's coax, not anything left over from the previous DirecTV or cable setups. New service with new wire means less likelihood of signal problems.