Finally the Android streaming app is coming.

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by takeagabu, Aug 19, 2014.

1. takeagabu

takeagabu New Member

Oct 7, 2007

Advertisements

https://twitter.com/TiVo/status/501353359886934016

"Finally! Very glad to say that our Android streaming app will become available next month! Stay tuned for details. #android #tivoroamio"

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I think that makes a post about this in every applicable sub-forum! Clearly an important item for many here. What will we all talk about once this problem is fixed?

3. takeagabu

takeagabu New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    We'll go back to wishing for an amazon app update.

4. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    If the past is any guide, we'll spend at least the next six months talking about the android app that was supposed to show up in September :).

5. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...

Advertisements

....or if it actually finally does come, how bad it works and the horrible implementation of it!

6. chart

chart Member

Sep 4, 2001
    new york
    I may keep my Tivo's after all!!!!

7. Bytez

Bytez Member

Sep 11, 2004
    NYC
    Hope they also update their Tivo app.

8. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Pretty sure they will need to in order to enable this. :confused:

9. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    So I have an android tablet that I use exclusively in my kitchen. Does this mean that I can get rid of my small kitchen TV and watch TV on my android tablet?
    Is it dependable enough?
    I guess I'm asking the iOS crowd since it's not out for android quite yet.

10. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Pinching myself and it's hurting so this must be real. Hooray!

11. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009

I suggest the Tivo website guide listings. It's like going to the dentist for expensive work, and you haven't met your high deductible for the year. VERY UNPLEASANT.

12. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    I came to the forum to ***** about how bad the current Android app is. I spent 5 minutes trying to log in to schedule a program to record. The app kept crashing not to mention the wasted time "scanning for tivos" despite me not being connected to wifi at that moment.

Glad to hear an updated app is coming very soon.

13. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    IOS stream started out - what I will call a little less than reliable. It would freeze, especially when trying to swipe to fast forward. It seemed more reliable for some than others.

Since the last release the freezing is pretty much gone for me. I can now expect that when I start to watch a show, I can finish watching the show without the video crashing.

My biggest gripe about the stream is that I have to start a recording to watch... You cannot channel surf with it. Are they going to update / fix that? I wouldn't hold my breath... But that really is my biggest complaint about stream.

Rumor has it that not only is a major update coming for the Android App (that includes stream) but a major update is also coming for the IOS app. What the entails and how everything is going to work, is anyone's guess at this point.

14. tomhorsley

Jul 22, 2010
    If it is one of those cheap tablets running an old version of android (or come to think of it, an expensive table running an old version), then probably not. There was a note somewhere about which android is supported and I'm pretty sure it was something like only 4.1 and later.

15. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    That is correct, TiVoMargret confirmed Android 4.1 or later...

But 4.1 is Jellybean, and i don't think anyone can expect them to support anything earlier.

Even on IOS, the app requires software version 7.0 or later. Apple just has a little more control on software updates and 7 can be loaded to devices as old as the iPad 2.

The question is, will you be happy with the app on a three year old device? Just as an iPad 2 is a little underpowered for a lot of the applications developed since IOS 7, you may find that even though your early device may have android 4.1, it won't necessarily be as good an experience as on a new more powerful device.

16. Bytez

Bytez Member

Sep 11, 2004
    NYC
    Ditto and the message about resolution every time.

17. tomhorsley

Jul 22, 2010
    Yep, 4.1 is a reasonable requirement, but a awful lot of the $99 special android tablets at discount electronics places, or tablets that are given away with new TVs in promotions and such are running something dreadful like 2.1 :).

18. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    You just described the biggest major issue with Android devices!

19. elborak

elborak Jack of Some Trades

Jul 15, 2014
    Western PA...
    I would hardly call "use your brain and don't buy a bargain basement tablet at the el-cheapo clearance store" a "major issue".

20. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    If it was 2 years ago you may have had a point, but it's 2014. At this point even the $44 Android tablet come with 4.1 installed. Just look at Walmart for Android tablets:

http://www.walmart.com/tp/android-tablets?facets=operating_system:Android&sort=4