Finally got a letter from Cox about Tuning Adapters...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Breadfan, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Breadfan

Breadfan Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Fort Smith, AR
    I finally got a letter the other day from Cox stating that they moving to SDV and that Tuning Adapters are now available. I went in to my local Cox office and they had no idea what I was talking about so I called the number listed in the letter. They really had no idea either. The letter clearly states that they will mail me one at no charge but they representative on the phone wasn't sure how to get me one.

She's looking into it and is supposed to call me back. I'm not holding my breath.

I guess it's just something I have to put up with for not using a Cox DVR.

2. oosik77

oosik77 TiVo Maniac

Nov 22, 1999
    Phoenix,...
    Cox Phoenix knows what they are. Have your Cox people call Phoenix.

3. Breadfan

Breadfan Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Fort Smith, AR
    Yeah, I should. The customer service rep never called me back so I called again this morning. This guy was more helpful but all he could tell me was they should be available at my local office or it could be drop-shipped to me.
    I told him I would be fine with having it shipped to me and he said he would find out about that and call me back. That was about 6 hours ago.

4. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
  5. Breadfan

Breadfan Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Fort Smith, AR
    Well, here's an update: I STILL don't have the tuning adapter. No one seems to know when they will be here. I call at least every week and am told the same basic thing: "we don't know yet when they will be available but we will call you when we do".
    As it stands now, on Aug. 30th, they are switching many channels to SDV and I will lose a lot of them without the tuning adapter. If that happens and I still don't have it I am going to request a credit for the channels I cannot watch.

Something else that bugs me is that it was my understanding that other areas were getting these tuning adapters at no cost. Here I get the device for free but I have to pay $1.99 a month for it for the first 12 months. No idea what it goes up to after that.

6. Breadfan

Breadfan Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Fort Smith, AR
    Ok, so I went by the local Cox office today at lunch and they did have the tuning adapters in so I finally got it.
    I was told it wouldn't work until they make the switch on 8/30 so should I hold off installing it until then?

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If you have to pay a monthly fee, it isn't free. I think it may be a violation of FCC regulations for them to charge for it. Are you sure it isn't a CableCARD charge? Do you have more than one CableCARD in your TiVo?

Interesting that they are implementing SDV. I've read elsewhere that Cable Cos were moving away from it.

8. Ennui

Ennui San Diego

Sep 2, 2008
    I have three TA's installed and pay no charge for them (Cox North San Diego). As I have said before, these are for the convenience of Cox and should not be a charge item.

9. Breadfan

Breadfan Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Fort Smith, AR
    I misread the letter. The $1.99 fee was for the lease of a HD receiver if needed.

10. Breadfan

Breadfan Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Fort Smith, AR
    I have a question about this Tuning Adapter. When I picked it up at the office I was told it wouldn't work until the 30th. I connected the other day it has a blinking amber light on the front. Now the letter says that the SDV channels will no longer be available starting "8/30 or after".
    Will the light on the front of the Tuning Adapter stop blinking when they activate it? I think I have to do some setup myself on the TiVo but I'm not sure. Today I went into "Tuning Adapter" settings on the TiVo and told it to check each Cable Card but it just said nothing available.

11. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The light will stay green when it is activated and working correctly. There is no setup on the TiVo end (other than having the usb from the TA plugged into it). I would not expect it to turn green until they enable SDV.

12. Breadfan

Breadfan Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Fort Smith, AR
    Ok, thanks. As of this morning it is still blinking amber so I guess they are behind schedule.

13. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    There's no way of knowing without calling Cox. You can try tuning all your channels and see if you can get them all. If not, then it has been enabled and your TA isn't activated.

14. awax

awax Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Fayetteville...
    I'm in Fayetteville, AR and have the same issue. TA still blinking amber and tivos don't see them. Cox rep on the phone the other day said they will amber until they make the switch.

15. awax

awax Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Fayetteville...
    Any updates on Cox turning SDV on in Northwest Ark.
    I would really like to get VOD

16. Breadfan

Breadfan Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Fort Smith, AR
    Well today the light stopped blinking and went to a solid amber light.
    Am I wrong that this device will allow me access to Pay-Per-View and On Demand content?

17. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Yes, You are wrong.

18. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    SDV != VOD.

19. Breadfan

Breadfan Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Fort Smith, AR
    Well that sucks. So basically all this box does for me is keep me from losing channels.
    Ah well. TiVo offers me a lot more than a cable DVR so PPV and On Demand aren't worth giving it up.

20. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You should take this with a HUGE portion of salt, like maybe a lake in Utah, but supposedly the issue will be addressed, at least on the Premiere. No word on when or where it will first appear. Could be next year. Could be as long as the new HD DirectTiVo. Could be never.