ffmpeg and Verizon Fios MP4 channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by sinanju, Aug 18, 2020.

1. sinanju

sinanju Active Member

Jan 3, 2005

Advertisements

The Mrs and I have a place abroad and I was trying to setup a new way to get programs from our TiVo.

Previously, I'd use kmttg, copy the results to a thumb drive, and plug that into the TV for playback. The downsides are that it is becoming harder and harder to keep kmttg going. I spent a lot of time trying to get it set up on a new laptop and its Java requirements are just a PITA these days.... though through no fault of its own.

So, I was thinking I'd get pyTivo going, have it feed ffmpeg to pre-digest the recordings and then stream them to Chromecast via Plex. I have a VPN setup working and tested that will facilitate this. The advantages are no thumb drive in the mix and less data going over the Atlantic.

I've noticed a couple of channels I'd like to get programs from Epix and the local PBS station, WGBH, are being delivered as MP4. However, transfers frequently fail. Also, Plex won't stream them. I've tried passing them through the same ffmpeg options I use on the MP2 recordings, to no avail. VLC just gives me the audio track.

Does anyone have a magic ffmpeg incantation that might help?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    MPEG4 recordings always require you download by TS (Transport Stream) not PS (Program Stream.)

3. sinanju

sinanju Active Member

Jan 3, 2005
    And therein lies the rub. I think I was getting partial recordings, which was confusing things. Back to the grindstone with Tivolibre to decode these things.