FF Jumps and Skips (Fios)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jbowden, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Jan 2, 2007 #1 of 105
    jbowden

jbowden New Member

Dec 12, 2006
    I have searched and found several threads about FF issues. My wife likes to pause when watching live TV during commercials and then FF past them. This works fine on the S2 but the S3 jumps and sometimes skips back. I have not found any details on the forum searches of a solution. Is this another reported item to Tivo that they are working to resolve?

2. Jan 2, 2007 #2 of 105
    TexasAg

TexasAg New Member

Apr 2, 2006
    It's a known problem with Fios (something to do with the MPEG encoding). I have Fios but use 30-sec skip, so I never really noticed it. I believe it is supposed to be fixed with the 8.1 update coming "soon" (whenever that it).

3. Jan 2, 2007 #3 of 105
    SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    8.1 will be out in two weeks..... wanna buy a bridge? Its a nice one... Its in Brooklyn... Ive got some swampland in Florida if you would like that too...

:)

4. Jan 2, 2007 #4 of 105
    TexasAg

TexasAg New Member

Apr 2, 2006
    I make no claim whatsoever other than it is supposed to be out "soon" (whenever that is).

5. Jan 2, 2007 #5 of 105
    SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    My intent was to make you laugh.... Tivo's standard answer has been 'two weeks' for about 2 months. :)

6. Jan 7, 2007 #6 of 105
    weaverdrew

weaverdrew New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    I have FIOS and my S3 does the same thing. What's really odd is that at times when FFing it will actually skip *backwards* for a spell. You can see it happen with the time clock above the progress bar. It make it very hard to efficiently FF and land where you want, especially at triple speed.

Anyway, here's hoping Tivo fixes it. Lousy FFing is one reason I dumped the Moto box and paid $800.

7. Jan 7, 2007 #7 of 105
    jbowden

jbowden New Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Yep. I have seen the *backwards* skip as well. This issue is driving my wife nuts....I am trying to convince her to use 30ss instead until a fix is out. What is interesting is she would rather use the S2 in the other room.

8. Jan 9, 2007 #8 of 105
    michaeltw

michaeltw New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Same exact issue here - I switched over the 30sec skip but can't wait for it to work again.

I also have a HR10-250, since I prefer the FF to 30sec skip, I try to remember which box I'm watching, but sometimes skip to the end on the DirecTV box. It's only been a week so I've been forgiving with it - otherwise it just works great.

I did get one of Verizon's HD DVRs too, and I have to say it's not so bad. It's no Tivo, but it's way ahead of the Cablevision box.

9. Jan 18, 2007 #9 of 105
    weaverdrew

weaverdrew New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    I called Tivo about this and the rep said this issue is well-documented with FIOS (has something to do with their compression or lack thereof) and that a fix was scheduled with 1.1.

I suggested Tivo should maintain a website where it lists what's coming and when. Does anything "official" like this exist?

10. Feb 13, 2007 #10 of 105
    TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry Caavo employee (Ex-TiVo, '00-'16)

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    I'm not so sure this is as "well-documented" as may be claimed. I am not aware of the issue. Reading this thread, I don't have quite enough detail to classify this very well. Would you mind posting a more objective and detailed description of what you are seeing? How does the jump back differ from behavior on previous platforms (Series1, Series2)?

For those of you who may not have a S1 or S2, you should know that the design is such that 1xFF will not have any jumpback, 2xFF will have some, and 3xFF will jump back even further. This is an attempt to compensate for the fact that the viewer will not press Play until seeing video from the program. We try to maintain similar performance across all platforms as best as we can.

11. Feb 13, 2007 #11 of 105
    bilbo

bilbo New Member

Dec 7, 2004
    i received 8.1 on my s3 (with cablecards from verizon fios) earlier today. it seems to correct the problem with the fast forward jumping around on new recordings only. the old recordings still jump around a lot when fast forwarding.

12. Feb 13, 2007 #12 of 105
    bilbo

bilbo New Member

Dec 7, 2004
    TivoJerry,

When I press 3XFF the numbers I see (on old recordings) are 1, 4, 7, 9, 10, 14, 15, and 16 minutes (roughly identical time intervals).

When I press 2XFF the numbers I see (on old recordings) are 1, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 7, and 7 minutes (again roughly identical time intervals).

It also wasn't uncommon to see numbers when fast forwarding (on old recordings) like: 1, 4, 5, 7, 6, 9, 10, and 13 minutes (jumping forward and backwards).

13. Feb 13, 2007 #13 of 105
    acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    It jumps around when doing fast forward. I usually see this with 2xFF.

For example, you will see the minutes number go from 30, 34, 31, 32, etc. When you see the first image on the series 2 I could hit the play button and Tivo would jump back a few seconds and leave me at the beginning of the scene. With the series 3, when I hit the play button, this sometimes happens, but sometimes it is jumps to five minutes later. I have to reverse for a signification time to get back to the first scene.

This doesn't happen all the time. It seems to be worse when I'm recording an HD show.

I don't have 8.1 yet, so I don't know if it fixed anything.

Does that help?

Al

14. Feb 13, 2007 #14 of 105
    FrodoB

FrodoB Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Middleton, WI
    FOX-47 OTA in Madison, WI has the exact same problem. House and 24 both exhibit the problem occasionally for me (sometimes it skips a couple of minutes ahead of the commercial break, and sometimes it works properly).

I haven't checked yet to see if I have 8.1 now or not. I'm hoping this was fixed; it's a bit annoying to have to hit the 8-second back button 7 or 8 times to return to the end of a commercial break. :)

15. Feb 13, 2007 #15 of 105
    bubba1972

bubba1972 Member

Mar 28, 2005
    I see it only on some of my OTA recordings. It acts as if there are fewer keyframes for it to draw and will only display those for a longer period of time making it appear jerky. In addition it seems to count backwards a fixed number of keyframes and therefore will jump back into the middle of the commerical I just fast forwarded through. I have even seen the difference between the content of a recording versus the commercials. The show will ff fine but the commercials are jerky.

16. Feb 13, 2007 #16 of 105
    TiVoJerry

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    For those of you on this thread up to this point, please send me a PM with your 15-digit TSN and I will make sure you receive the new software to test with. I would then like to know if you see any change.

If you have not posted in this thread before this point, do not send me a PM asking for new software as I will ignore your request.

If the new software does not take care of the issue, please take note of the exact channels and who your provider is (including city).

17. Feb 13, 2007 #17 of 105
    jbowden

jbowden New Member

Dec 12, 2006
    TiVoJerry - Thanks - I have Fios and will test this tonight. The original issue that was experienced is watching liveTV, pause at the start of a commercial, FF thru the commercial after a wait period. I would see odd skips and back jumps during the FF. I will report back my findings in the morning.

18. Feb 13, 2007 #18 of 105
    michaeltw

michaeltw New Member

Jan 10, 2002
  19. Feb 14, 2007 #19 of 105
    TiVoJerry

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    michaeltw, that's a great example to have. If you keep FFing through the same video at the same speed, do you get the same results or does it vary? (how reproducible)
    Does it happen on all channels or just certain ones?

If you haven't already, please send me your TSN so I can get you new software to run comparisons on. I have no way of knowing if there is a fix in place, but it's best to know before I get this investigation going any faster. It's also possible that another engineer is aware of the issue and I'm just ignorant at this point. :D

20. Feb 14, 2007 #20 of 105
    michaeltw

michaeltw New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Thanks Jerry, you actually already did send me the 8.1 - that was a movie(American Splendor in SD on Cinemax from 1/18). If I stay at 2xFF it does persist, but seems to be less of a problem as time goes on - but every maybe 5 minutes or so, it will skip backwards one minute and then forwards again.

When I FF on new recordings since getting 8.1 earlier this evening - it's fixed or at least seems to be for now.

I really have to say though, I noticed it on every recording, I didn't really see it isolated on certain channels. I have a lot of stuff saved & in Suggestions(pre-8.1), and in checking it's happening on IFC, HBO Comedy, Speed, FOXHD, Showtime Too, Comedy Central.