Feel robbed by Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Sideboxtv, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Jun 25, 2018 #1 of 154
    Sideboxtv

Sideboxtv New Member

Jun 25, 2018

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am at a loss for what to do right now. I have had various TiVo’s for several years now. I purchased a 3TB VOX Bolt in February of this year, from Amazon direct fulfillment (not 3rd party) I received my brand new box, activated it, and have generally been satisfied. Today, 6/25/18, I receive a poorly worded email from Tivo Support:

“This is to let you know that the TiVo Bolt VOX 3TB you purchased from third party seller is a fraud order.
    The credit card that was used to purchase the device may not be the customer's (original owner) credit card regardless of the name in the service contract. That is also why the device was on Past due when you activate the device for the first time.

Please contact our customer service department to ensure there will be no service interruption or a re-debit of funds.

Your reference # for this inquiry is XXXXXXX. In order to contact us please call 1-877-367-8486.”

I frankly thought it was an attempt at phishing, because the horrible wording and because it makes absolutely no sense. In addition, the bit about the box showing as past due when I went to activate it was not actually the case. I get home from work and go to open the HBO app to play a show for my kids. Well, they’ve disconnected my service.

I call Tivo, get someone in the call center who simply repeats what is said in the email. I explain that I purchased the box from amazon (direct, not a reseller). They start talking in circles and telling me I need to contact the person who sold me the box. I explain that I highly doubt that Amazon fraudulently purchased a box and resold it to me. He keeps insisting that this is the case. I get the same treatment from a supervisor, whom I beg to connect me to someone above her who might care a little more than she does. She insists that I have to call Amazon and that Tivo will have to bill me $500 for the box. I have called amazon and their call center employee was very nice but had no idea what I or TiVo was talking about. He has started an escalation on his end. I am not hopeful that this will change anything.

Does anybody know who I can contact at Tivo that might care just how much they are screwing me over?! Has anyone had this happen before? I feel a little crazy right now. I’ve now been told by both companies that I need to contact the other. What the hell is happening here?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  2. Jun 25, 2018 #2 of 154
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Can you pull up your Amazon order and verify it shows Sold by: Amazon.com (second one below for example)?

upload_2018-6-25_19-12-4.png

If it really does show Sold by: Amazon, not sure how the unit could have been purchased on another card unless it was actually an unopened return to Amazon and then sold as new.

Scott

dfreybur likes this.
  3. Jun 25, 2018 #3 of 154
    sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    It might be a snafu or typo on TiVo's part about which TSN was problematic.

I think you will get nowhere with regular outsourced support for such an outside of the box issue.

I would probably get in touch with @TiVo_Ted for something like this or end up with a lot of frustration.

4. Jun 25, 2018 #4 of 154
    Sideboxtv

Sideboxtv New Member

Jun 25, 2018

Yep, Amazon Services.

Attached Files:

5. Jun 25, 2018 #5 of 154
    Sideboxtv

Sideboxtv New Member

Jun 25, 2018

Advertisements

I am already at level 40 frustration as is, so I appreciate the recommendation. I hope it can be easily resolved, because I love my Tivo... but this is out of hand.

6. Jun 25, 2018 #6 of 154
    sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I guess someone could have purchased a unit from Amazon, and also purchased one from TiVo using a fraudulent card, then returned the fraudulent one to Amazon (and Amazon didn't check TSN) and the guy kept the one from Amazon. Alternatively, they may have switched the unit in the boxes and Amazon only scanned the box label, not the unit label inside. Then when it got resold (since it didn't appear used), the new customer was left holding the bag.

Other than a mistake on the affected TSN, that is the only reason I can come up with why TiVo would be trying to collect the hardware costs on inventory that Amazon sold.

7. Jun 25, 2018 #7 of 154
    sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Curious, does the TSN on the back of the unit match the TSN on the box?

ClearToLand likes this.
  8. Jun 25, 2018 #8 of 154
    schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    You bought it from Amazon. Your issue is with Amazon. You need to contact them and send them that letter. Look for their fraud dept.

9. Jun 25, 2018 #9 of 154
    Sideboxtv

Sideboxtv New Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Unfortunately, the box is probably a children's book or cereal box by now... I recycled it back in February. I do recall it being perfectly wrapped and seemingly unopened. If someone did that, they did a fantastic job repackaging.

10. Jun 25, 2018 #10 of 154
    sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I think his issue is with both, because TiVo is trying to collect the hardware costs from him, so in their minds, at some point, they think they sold him (or the 3rd party) the hardware, then found out the card used was a fraudulent transaction.

Maybe Amazon mistakenly (or was tricked into) reporting a TSN as a fraud transaction to TiVo.

It will probably require coordination on both parties to figure out where the fraud notation entered into the TiVo system and why.

Even if he got Amazon to refund him the money, he still has shows on the unit that he won't be able to save unless TiVo temporarily activates the unit.

The best solution, IMO is if Amazon and TiVo worked it out so that TiVo removes the fraud alert on their system for this TSN and handles the fraud situation out of band between themselves, that is if Amazon is really involved.

11. Jun 25, 2018 #11 of 154
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    ^ This. Stop pulling you hair out and have Amazon fix it. You have all the records in your favor.

NorthAlabama likes this.
  12. Jun 25, 2018 #12 of 154
    schatham

Mar 17, 2007
    I disagree. He bought it from Amazon. It's best to deal with them. Other wise you will get ping ponged back and forth. Tell Amazon they sold it to you, you fix it.

Amazon will also be easier to deal with.

aaronwt and Mikeguy like this.
  13. Jun 25, 2018 #13 of 154
    rjrsouthwest

rjrsouthwest Active Member

Feb 19, 2016
    You need to force Amazon to fix the problem or refund your money and ask them to email you a return label to return the Tivo. I have had no problem returning something that turned out to be different then what was represented, they emailed me the return label and as soon as they received notice that it had been handed over to the shipper they immediately refunded my credit card even though it was still in transit.

14. Jun 25, 2018 #14 of 154
    sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    If the goal is to get Amazon to refund the money, and there is no need to preserve shows, and there is no lifetime involved, I would agree Amazon is easier to deal with.

Given this unit was purchased in February and it is now June, there may have been
    1) shows the OP wants to preserve
    2) unknown subscription type with TiVo that may need to be recovered if it is lifetime

The easiest thing for Amazon to do would be to refund the money and give OP a return shipping label, but that may not be the preferred outcome.

Sideboxtv likes this.
  15. Jun 25, 2018 #15 of 154
    Sideboxtv

Sideboxtv New Member

Jun 25, 2018
    And there goes ALL of my content and shows from the past two years, including what I transferred from my Roamio... I appreciate those who are saying I need to contact Amazon, and I already have. They have escalated the issue, but also noted that they are seeing no issues with the order as is. Currently, I have no Tivo service, my shows are locked, and it seems patently unfair that I am getting screwed because of an issue between Amazon on Tivo.

16. Jun 25, 2018 #16 of 154
    Sideboxtv

Sideboxtv New Member

Jun 25, 2018
    The order shows as a completed order with no outstanding issues in my amazon account. My bank account shows no issues with the charge.

17. Jun 25, 2018 #17 of 154
    sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Is a refund for the unit along with return shipping label an acceptable solution? If so I agree with the other posts about working with Amazon only.

18. Jun 25, 2018 #18 of 154
    Sideboxtv

Sideboxtv New Member

Jun 25, 2018
    I will lose several of my kids favorite movies and TV shows as well as at least 20 hours of shows. If that is the outcome I will certainly not be happy. I won't be able to replace some of the content, and will have to pay to replace some. That doesn't seem fair at all.

19. Jun 25, 2018 #19 of 154
    Sideboxtv

Sideboxtv New Member

Jun 25, 2018
    My issue would be with Amazon if they contacted me... Amazon seems so far unable to locate a problem with my order. Tivo is the one who is demanding $500 and have cut off my service.

20. Jun 25, 2018 #20 of 154
    schatham

Mar 17, 2007
    I understand, but Amazon must have reported the Fraud. Who else would have? You paid Amazon. Amazon is also your best bet to get the box un-locked. They can report to Tivo the error, if it was.

I can understand being upset about losing shows, but I would be more concerned about the fraud.

Were just trying to help. What your being told is Tivo can't help you now, so go through Amazon.