"Feasting on Asphalt" Is New

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Graymalkin, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Aug 4, 2007 #1 of 56
    Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Season 2 of "Feasting on Asphalt" with Alton Brown on FOOD Network.

I like this show.

This year, he's traveling north, up the Mississippi. First stop, of course -- NOLA.

2. Aug 4, 2007 #2 of 56
    Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Sweet! Glad I had my DVR set. The last one was excellent.

3. Aug 5, 2007 #3 of 56
    Rolf

Rolf Revolting Peasant

Oct 11, 2003
    Bay Point, CA
    Well, it was until he got to that "Feasting on Gravel" part at the end. Shoulder injuries are really annoying.

4. Aug 5, 2007 #4 of 56
    jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I need to go watch this.. I have it on the TiVo..

5. Aug 5, 2007 #5 of 56
    TheSlyBear

TheSlyBear Opinionated Walrus

Dec 26, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Sweet!

6. Aug 5, 2007 #6 of 56
    dmdeane

dmdeane sedentary adventurer

Apr 17, 2000
    North...
    Especially a broken clavicle. Ouch.

Too bad, as he was going to visit those chuck wagon reenactors, and that sounded pretty interesting. To those of us who like outdoor cooking.

Looking forward to the new season. No better place to start than New Orleans.

7. Aug 5, 2007 #7 of 56
    Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Loved the first season but I found this one disappointing. Very disjointed and uneven. The camera work was more suited to something like 24 - handheld, lots of super closeups and jerky. Having the crew member dress up in the sausage suit and dance was lame. In fact, I think the major problem for me was that we got too much footage of the crew and too little of Alton and the food. Overall, it all looked really low budget. As in, "hey kids, let's put on a tv show."

8. Aug 5, 2007 #8 of 56
    cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    It looks like (and Alton alluded to it last night) is that... with season 1, they had set destinations and goals in mind; except for the accident, of course.

For this season, however, they know the road that they are following... and basically are asking around for "directions". I do wonder how much Alton already knew and was playing up for the camera... i.e. alligators. However, more AB is not necessarily a bad thing IMHO.

9. Aug 5, 2007 #9 of 56
    Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    I still want to find that biscuit place in Georgia with the biscuits as big as your head.
    I google mapped it, 2 and a half hours from here but only 105 miles. :D

10. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    This first episode, at least, did feel a little less genuine than the first season, but it was still really interesting and a lot of fun. I think once they start making some progress up the river, it will get even better.

11. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I would like a little andouille right about now.

12. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    Here's the list of places visited from the first season:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ab/article/0,2857,FOOD_26776_4852389,00.html

I snagged it and the list of locations from DD&D from the Travel Channel to keep for future trips.

Friday I was able to go to Ted Drewes in St. Louis. With the car thermometer reading 108 in the parking lot and a silly amount of humidity a frozen custard place was the perfect place to visit. No indoor seating, but chance had it my Mom was there too in an RV so we sat down in the air conditioning to enjoy our concretes.

13. kdelande

kdelande TiVo-Wobble

Dec 17, 2001
    Louisville,...
    Agreed. I loved season 1 and the production, at least indicated by this first ep of Season 2, is less desirable to me. Still, I'll get past it for the content as I think this is a really fun show.

KD

14. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    I added this to my Season Pass after reading about Alton's stop at Doe's Eat Place in Greenville, MS. Since it is just outside of Greenville, I hope he stops at the Bourbon Mall.

-Robert

15. Weezoh

Weezoh New Member

May 9, 2002
    Thanks for posting the article! We're enjoying the series so far - Just hope it's not cut short like last year's

16. Wilhite

Wilhite ...no stinkin' title

Oct 26, 2003
    Finally got to watch the first episode of this season last night. It was a little slow starting, but I enjoyed it anyway. I'm looking forward to them getting into the Memphis region and feasting on some 'q'.

Was it actually cut short? I know that he had the wreck and didn't get to ride as much, but I thought that the series went through it's full run. Alton just didn't get to ride the bike like he wanted to.

17. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
  18. dmdeane

Apr 17, 2000
    North...
    I didn't like this first episode as much as last season's. It did feel a bit disjointed, as others have pointed out.

It also didn't have that same sense of movement as the first season, they seem to have started out in New Orleans, and by the end of the first episode, they seemed to almost still be in New Orleans - very close to it anyway.

I suppose that was the peril of starting a "road trip" in New Orleans; that region could easily support its own TV series, not just a single episode of FOA.

Hopefully things will go rolling better in the next episode.

19. dmdeane

Apr 17, 2000
    North...
    The season wasn't cut short, but they had to change their plans. They didn't get time to discuss the chuck wagon food, and ended up finishing the series in Los Angeles talking about "cop food" and doing things that didn't require Alton to be on a motorcycle.

20. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    Well, even though last season supposedly did not get cut short, this season is a full 6 episodes long. Wasn't last season just 4?