1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feasting on Asphalt 8/19

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by doom1701, Aug 21, 2006.

1. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    With all the buzz about Alton's accident, I kinda expected it to be at the end of the episode, with it basically shutting down the show. We've all been saying how the 4 episodes were because it ended prematurely--now I think that the accident didn't affect much. They still made it cross country--heck, they still kept plugging right along after the accident.

This final ep did seem a little light on cuisine, though. But, I guess they all were--they seemed to focus on people more than food.

No matter what, the episode was worth it to see Alton's gadgetgasm when he saw the lunch box cooker. That was true geek showing through.

2. mrpantstm

mrpantstm Well aren't you

Jan 25, 2005
    Fredericksbu...
    Definitly an amusing episode. It seemed a bit heavy on the local specialities rather than road food when they were cruising with the cop. Alton's accident was the most reality I've seen in a show almost ever.

3. ScubaCat

ScubaCat Shades of Blue......

Jun 26, 2003
    N.E. GA
    Imagine how much reality we would have had if they had been able to show the footage from the emergency room!

I don't know if this is documented anywhere, but don't you think he had to hang out for a while in Las Vegas before he could tolerate the vibrations of traveling? That had to hurt.

4. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Yeah, they were way too close to California by the time the accident happened. I don't see how they could have dragged it out for multiple episodes after that, unless they modified their original "plan" and went driving up north or even back east?

5. Warren

Warren Wild Hair

Oct 18, 2001
    maybe this is just season one. Next season they could drive from GA to NY or to WA you know.

6. dmdeane

dmdeane sedentary adventurer

Apr 17, 2000
    North...
    The accident validated my decision long ago to never own or ride a motorcyle. Alton wasn't doing anything wrong and he still got a nasty injury.
    It was a bit rushed after the accident. They never really got a chance to talk much about the Chuck Wagon reenactors in any real detail for instance, since Alton could not be there.
    Yes, I want one of those lunch box cookers now too. They look neat and handy.

Alton and the cherry candy or whatever the heck that was, was pretty amusing too.

7. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Chase's Cherry Mash:

[​IMG]

8. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    Ive only seen part of this series but I liked what I watched. Anyone know if its going to reair?

9. dmdeane

dmdeane sedentary adventurer

Apr 17, 2000
    North...
    Yes, that's the one. Is it as good as Alton made it sound....I assume it's a regional thing?

10. pdhenry

pdhenry Rock or Something

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    IIRC, they're running a 4-episode mini-marathon soon, like this weekend? Back in a sec.

EDIT: No, not this weekend, apparently, but maybe in the next couple of weeks. I thought there was an ad to that effect over this past weekend.

11. footballdude

footballdude New Member

Apr 16, 2004
    Arnold, MO
    I've had them and they're pretty good. Very strong artificial cherry flavor. I would imagine they're not for everyone, though.

12. Michelle5150

Michelle5150 Still in Beta

Nov 16, 2004
    Seattle
    When we got to that point of the episode, I practicaly screamed out, "That's a Mountain Bar!" I had forgotten all about those things, but loved them as a kid. I don't care what they called it on the show, there's no doubt it was a Mountain Bar. Staple of my childhood right there. I guessed the color exactly because I had eaten so many of them in my youth. :)

[​IMG]

"The Mountain Bar was first put on the market by Brown & Haley in about 1915 as the "Mount Tacoma Bar". The bar had a fondant vanilla center (now available in Cherry!) as would be found in hand-dipped chocolate of the period. The dippers would make a puddle of tempered chocolate, mixed with freshly ground peanuts, dipping the fondant into the mix and forcing it into the center. Now done by state of the art machinery, the Mount Tacoma Bar became the Mountain Bar in 1923 to reflect the fact that the bar was now available far beyond Mount Tacoma (now Mount Rainier)."

13. harvscar

harvscar Monkeyhead

Dec 7, 2001
    I can't believe I've gone this far in life and not known that I could have been baking bread and making meatloaf in my car while I commuted.

14. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Not one, but two, count 'em, two good Emeril jokes in this episode! :D

15. MrCouchPotato

MrCouchPotato Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Here is an interview with Alton where he talks about the show
    http://www.channelguidemag.com/brown.lasso

I also read that the cop from the last show will be in a show that will air later in the year. I had the impression he was just a cop that Alton came across on his journey..

The cop on the show last night is Chris Cognac, a eGullet regular who is doing his own Food Network show due to come out this fall. There is quite a long thread on eGullet about his travels.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=88877

16. tedder

tedder Irregular

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Oh, indeed. After everything I see on the news, I'm never riding a motorbike, driving a car, going to the mall, answering the door, flying on a plane, shaking hands with others, going in the sunlight, having surgery, not having surgery, using a credit card, paying by check, handling cash, going to the bank, or not going to the bank. I think I'll just wrap up in bubblewrap, stay on the couch, and take shallow breaths until I die. I wouldn't want to experience life, after all.

17. tedder

tedder Irregular

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
  18. TheSlyBear

TheSlyBear Opinionated Walrus

Dec 26, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I disagree. I'd have taken one look at the condition of that road and found an alternate route.

19. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Yeah... That was a pretty rough road to take some touring bikes onto.

20. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    Or even the BMW's they were riding which are not really touring bikes. For some reason, BMW owners like to pile on the saddlebags so that you can't really see the bike anymore.

But driving on loose gravel roads is tricky, even in a car. I don't much care to drive on them anymore and I grew up driving on them.