Fear the Walking Dead "The Dog" S01E03 9/13/2015 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, Sep 14, 2015.

1. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona

Advertisements

I'm liking the old man who seems to have a good idea of what's going on and thinks Travis and Maddie are weak. He's going to be a good character to have on the show.

So with the military coming through and clearing out the "infected," does that mean our group will stay in LA rather than heading for the desert?

What was up with the neighbor's backyard? Why would they have that crazy maze of trellises and stuff?

2. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    They really, really liked pole beans?
    I wondered how the girl could get lost going from her house to next door and back for the conveniently forgotten shells.

Yes, Reuben (don't know character's name) is the smart one although when mama's leg inevitably slows them down I bet he falters a bit.

3. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    This episode picked things up and I was glad they didn't end with the moment the military swooped in with Susan and Patrick. For a second, I thought that was the end of the episode.

Great classic suspense moment when Travis came into the house and we knew the walker was munching out on the dog and he didn't. (although I did find it hard to believe the dog didn't win that battle with the walker).

Interesting logic not to tell the daughter what was going on by Maddy because maybe she wouldn't have to.

4. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    I was a little confused as to why the military showed up there. Considering what is going on in their world, I would think a suburban neighborhood would be down pretty far on the list of places you would deploy.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

Unless they're setting up a perimeter around the city..?

6. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Especially given that they're only a few hours removed from the out-of-control riot downtown and the obvious outbreak at that hospital. If they had the manpower to deal with all those issues and move Into the suburbs in just a few hours, our characters would have seen a lot more of a presence than two helicopters.

7. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I have this really weird pet-peeve about shows where most of the episode involves people hanging out in darkness. It just bores me and puts me to sleep, I don't know why, it's some biological thing with me or something.

The episode really picked up at the end with the military showing up though, that will create some interesting story lines.

8. crazywater

crazywater USS TiVo NCC-1780

Mar 7, 2001
    USA
    Already starting with stupid statements made by main characters. Travis has already seen the YouTube video of the police shooting Walkers, seen his son repeatedly run over the drug dealing friend, seen his friend eating a dog, one police officer walker attacking another in the riot, but yet when Ruben Blades teaches Travis son how to safely use the shotgun two protect himself he says "you know how I feel about guns." Really?

9. voripteth

voripteth User Advocate

Apr 9, 2003
    At this point in the story I'd have to say they were a bit bloodthirsty to kill someone who wasn't an immediate threat. The dad made a good point that there may be a cure and that killing the infected is murder. I have to keep reminding myself that these characters have no knowledge of zombies.

I'm very glad to see the military intervene instead. Hopefully they can differentiate this show from TWD and zombie kill of the week.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    You mean the neighbor? I think the mom made an even better point that they were potentially killing her husband by letting her "live"... (Which, of course, is exactly what almost happened.)

11. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Yeah, that was pretty stupid. But they're only one or two days into the Zombie Apocalypse so I'm sure they're still thinking this is temporary and that things will be back to normal soon.

And given the way this episode ended, it seems they already think that.

Travis will obviously relent on letting his kid learn how to shoot when it becomes obvious that it is necessary for protection. Or the kid will get killed in a situation where he could have protected himself if he knew how to use a gun, and then Travis will have a guilty conscience for the rest of the ZA.

12. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    I didn't have a problem with that. The dog can't reason his way out of that fight, it's a loser for him no matter what. He can't inflict the amount of pain or fear in the other party to get it (the walker) to give up and find an easier target. The walker is going to keep coming and coming, the dog needed to run immediately. In fact dogs with a higher flight response would be more likely to survive since they cannot win a fight against a walker.

13. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I enjoyed the neighbors putting out the garbage cans! Normalcy a midst the crazy.

14. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    I know!
    But didn't Travis's have a body in it?
    That's not normal!

15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, I figured the other guy was doing the same thing...

16. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    A perimeter around Los Angeles??? That would take a few million soldiers. :)

17. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Yep! Which bin does it go in? Compost or Trash?

18. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Has everyone in the family forgotten how to turn on a tv to get news? The kids in the family have no access to the internet to get news? Twitter has gone down? Facebook isn't working? No one is snapchatting?

Yeah, the first thing I do when there's a huge local emergency is to turn off the tv and internet and play Monopoly.

Even in a world without knowledge of zombies, if I find my neighbor in my house, on the floor eating my dog and then coming at me - I'm shooting the s**t out of him.

As noted, dad has seen zombies several times but somehow he thinks his neighbor is different?

I had high hopes for the series but I'm beginning to waver.

19. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I don't know the geography of LA very intimately, but I do know there are "suburbs" awfully close to the city "center"...

20. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I thought Travis buried the body in the backyard and then the rug that the body was wrapped in got put in the garbage bin.