Fear The Walking Dead "Ouroboros" 4/24/16 + TD Spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Balzer, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Balzer

Balzer Active Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD

Advertisements

Stupid

I can't decide what is more stupid. Things that happened on this episode, or the fact that I will keep watching the show. :)

Thoughts?

Jeff

2. brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    Thank you. I haven't seen this episode. Got to decide whether to waste 44 minutes of my time for delete my One Pass. :D

3. BradJW

BradJW Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Houston
    It's no walking dead - that's for sure.

4. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Totally. I keep trying to remind myself that they're new to this.

But what did they expect to find at the shore? Just suitcases?!!

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

To be fair, though, there were no zombies in sight and they had a good plan.

Shame Chris doesn't understand the importance of sticking to a good plan...

6. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    They were mainly looking for antibiotics for Ofelia, but as long as they were going, they figured they'd try and find anything else they could use as well.

7. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I understand why they went, just dumb to think if suitcase landed there, then why not bodies.

8. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But they didn't think that. They knew that there were no zombies at that site, but that there could be nearby. They took precautions.

Which Chris promptly ignored.

9. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Chris is a dimwit. Well, they mostly all are, really. But Chris, especially.

Funny, the druggie is the only one with a clue. Though I'm not sure he realizes he has a clue. Soooo...

Maybe the boat owner to some extent isn't completely stupid. Except that he's doing his best to piss everyone else off without ever discussing anything about his reasons for anything he wants done.

No, they're all stupid.

If I was there in that situation, I'd feel obligated to kill them all before they got me killed.

10. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm still totally confused about Strand's secrecy regarding Mexico and why Madison and Travis and Daniel seem so betrayed by it.

So Strand has apparently had the plan all along to go to this compound in Baja. He lied and told the characters they were going to San Diego, likely knowing that when they got to San Diego they'd find the city had been destroyed just like LA.

So when the lighthouse guy in the last episode confirmed that San Diego had been destroyed, why do Madison and Travis act all butt-hurt in this episode when Strand reveals this new destination? Shouldn't they have already realized San Diego was no longer an option and shouldn't they be thrilled that Strand has a viable backup plan?

11. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I thought it was a great episode -
    Although - who didn't get what Travis was going to run into under the boat?

LOVE having the woman from the airplane in the episode.
    I loved her in the web series.

Everything on the beach was pretty awesome.
    The whole section when Nick is over the guy and the crabs to the woman from the airplane yelling Run They are Coming had me on the edge of my seat.

I would love to see Chris bite the dust.
    I also wouldn't mind someone just taking a bullet to Stand's head.

Interesting Chris choosing to basically euthanize the airplane passenger and Nick realizing how to zombie camouflage himself.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Madison knows San Diego was never his plan...he was always going to Mexico (because of her conversation with Daniel).

I wouldn't be surprised if Strand expected (expects?) that by the time he got to Mexico, he'd be alone.

13. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    So why did he bring these people along if it was never his intention for them to reach the final destination? He's the one that brought them to his beach house when they were planning to go to the desert. He's the one that brought them on board his ship when they likely would have been fine staying on land. He could have killed Daniel and left them when they stopped at the lighthouse island.

Basically, the characters' reactions to Strand have made no sense. And if Strand is not planning to kill them or leave them stranded somewhere, then why the secrecy about the destination? It should already be clear to the rest of the gang that he was abnormally-well prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse. He had his gated compound stocked with supplies. He had a yacht parked off shore stocked with supplies. So why would any of the characters be surprised when he tells them he has another house in Mexico that's also stocked with supplies?

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I don't know what Strand's thinking is, on anything. I suspect that he just got caught up in things...first with Junkie Boy, then with the others; he never found an excuse to get rid of them, or he thought they might be useful. I kinda get the impression that he intends (or intended) to be alone by the time he got where he's going.

It isn't out of character for even a brilliant, manipulative mastermind to do stupid things if it gets the story where it's supposed to go. (Out of character for the writers, that is, not for the characters. :D)

15. Balzer

Balzer Active Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Well, when I describe this episode as stupid, it wasn't that I thought their plan to go to shore to look for medicine and supplies was stupid. What was stupid was the execution of the plan.. They seem to wander around checking a few bags here and there, then waste time by trying on pilot's outfits and such. And Chris wanders off out of view of the others. I realize that I have more knowlege of the dangers of that new world, having watched TWD, but still. They have experienced enough of what is happening to know that they need to go get what they came for, get it done as fast as possible as a team, then get the hell out of there.

And then the dummy Nick who slips on the edge of a ledge and falls in next to the crabcake zombie. I rolled my eyes. Dumb. Although the crabcake zombie was pretty disgusting. I admit I actually had to look away. I don't think I ever had to do that on any Walking Dead show before.

The most interesting character in the story was the plane crash survivor. Probably the most interesting character on the entire series so far. I hope to see her again.

Which brings me to another "stupid". So Strand says they can't bring her and the boy on the boat. So they get rope and tow their life raft? Stupid. Just leave them where they are, shoot them, or take them on the boat to drop off somewhere else. But attaching their raft to the boat and dragging it made no sense other than to set up the "dramatic" moment where Strand stomps back to the stern and chops the rope to abandon them.

These are just the major stupid moments.. There were a few other minor ones..

That said.. I will continue to watch.. but it's getting harder. I still don't give a crap about any one of these characters.

16. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    When they decided to go ashore I thought "Gee, I wonder if they'll run into any zombies?" When Travis dived under the boat I thought "Gee, I wonder if he'll run into any zombies?" When Dwight the Troubled Teen went wandering off on his own I thought "Gee, I wonder if he'll run into any zombies?" When Daniel went off looking for Dwight the Troubled Teen I thought "Gee, I wonder if he'll run into any zombies?" When drugboy went looking for antibiotics I thought "Gee, I wonder if he'll run into any zombies?"

17. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    Why Ouroboros? The only thing that comes to mind, maybe, would be the zombie eating the crabs eating the zombie. But an Ouroboros is supposed to consume itself, not two things each consuming the other.

18. TeddS

TeddS Obfuscator

Sep 21, 2000
    NYC
    Seems a bit "on the nose" to name a character Strand when we now know he kinda wants to strand everyone else around him.

19. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I think it is true that WE know more than they do, but as far as I recall, this is the first time they encountered a horde and really had to fight their way out - the hospital they escaped from was as much military as it was walkers (and neither Chris or Alicia were with them) - I am sure there are other instances - but I totally accepted they thought there were no zombies by the wreckage and suddenly they were overrun.

20. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Curious that the plane crash shredded the fuselage and caused the deaths of most of the passengers without evidence of shredded body parts anywhere ...

... And that spine injury where the backbone snapped and burst through the backfat and skin and shirt and jacket of the seated passenger who managed to remain alive until he could be brutally euthanized ...

... And that the youths scouring the baggage were such efficient warriors against the zombie horde that they all managed to get away from them ...

... Curiouser and curiouser ...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016