Fear the Walking Dead - "Grotesque" - S02E08 - 8/21/16 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, Aug 22, 2016.

1. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona

Advertisements

After the crazy ending to the first half of the season and all the people scattering from that ranch, I'm really surprised that the producers of the show are so tone deaf that they made the return episode be entirely about Nick without ever once showing any of the other characters and what happened to them after the events at the ranch. Sure, they'll show that stuff next week, but with so many people on the fence about whether they're going to continue watching this show, this episode was not a good way to draw them back in.

What did the rest of you think?

2. Gerryex

Gerryex Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...
    I thought the episode was terrible!!! I hated even from the beginning that one of the main characters was a drug addict. And I agree with you that after the mid season finale with the main group broken up and sub-groups going in different directions they choose the next episode to be exclusively about the drug addict!

Another thought. I have no idea how I would react during a real zombie apocalypse but I sure as hell would not go off on my own leaving my family behind, even if I had issues with my family. This also goes for the husband who is going on his own with his son from a previous marriage. Yeah, the son is off the deep end since his Dad had to kill his Mom, but again how do they think going on their own is good thing!

Gerry

3. Rob64

Rob64 Member

Aug 27, 2005
    I binged watched this show yesterday then watched the season three premiere. This was the first time I really watched this show. It's not as good as the walking dead for sure. I'm really having a hard time liking any of the characters in the show. It doesn't seem as well written or made as walking dead. My opinion of it is that it's just not that good of a show. It's not well-made. The character development is terrible. I can't believe how dumb the characters are. I'll probably still watch it for the rest of the summer being as I don't have much to watch now. Is it the same group making this show that's making The Walking Dead? If it is my question is what happened? If it is not the same crew then they should give it to them. Maybe they'll do a better job.

4. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    When Nick was on the road by the cars and there was a walker in the distance I was hoping and praying the walker was going to be Travis.

I just kept wanting Nick to get shot and die.

I think I get what they are trying to say and do
    - it's just not what I was hoping for...
    I'd be happy if they hurry back to US soil and/or just reboot with a whole new set of people...

5. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona

Advertisements

There may be a few of the high level executive producers (like Kirkman, Nicotero, and Gale Ann Hurd) that are the same for both shows, but for the most part, FtWD is written and produced by entirely different people. The co-creator and show runner is Dave Erickson, and he never had anything to do with TWD.

Also, FtWD is filmed on the west coast, while TWD is filmed in Georgia, so it would be difficult for the same people to be involved on a day-to-day basis.

6. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    This is a perfect example of how dumb this episode was. We saw the walker in the distance and Nick didn't seem to notice. Then Nick notices the radio on the dashboard and fights with the car walker to grab it out, then spends 30-40 seconds pulling up the antenna and messing with the tuning trying to find a station. All the while, the camera is close up on him, which is a technique used in horror movies to help the audience feel tension because they can't see what's going on around the character. So everything was set up to make us feel like the walker was going to surprise him. But then they cut back to a wide shot and the walker is the exact same distance away as he was before!! WTF?!? That's just crappy film making.

7. brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    I'm just tempted to delete this unwatched episode and cancel my One Pass. I'm getting the feeling FTWD is going the way of Under the Dome, too painful to watch any more.

8. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Although TWD is written in LA...I suspect there's more room for coordination between the writing staffs of the two shows than there is between the writing staff and production team of TWD!
    Plus his water bottle, which they made a point of showing had the exact same level at night that it did when he took his first drink from it earlier in the day. I figured they had to be going somewhere with it (was this all in his head?), but no.

9. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I would have to re-watch that to confirm (and doubt it's worth it) but I thought it was near full and then it was more than 3/4 full... I recall it because I remembered thinking he was conserving water...

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Looked to me like it was about 2/3 full both times...

11. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I guess I'm in the minority 'cause I really enjoyed this episode.

I also thought Frank Dillane was terrific carrying this episode on his shoulders.

For the record, I also like the Nick character.

12. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    And I'm out... I wanted to like this show, I really did. But I just don't give a crap about the characters (except for Ruben Blades and Victor Strand (can't remember the actor)) The plot is ok, but the execution sucks.

Sorry for threadcrapping.

13. caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    I've been sticking with this show only because it's "The Walking Dead" and I keep hoping it will get better... well, this week it did. I liked it, hopefully the improvement will continue.

14. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    So this. The whole episode I was hoping he would die. Are you telling me he couldn't overpower the woman with the bat? Come on, man up Nick. Not exactly sure why, but I really can't stand the character.

15. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I liked it, too.

I asked a workmate at lunch today how he liked it, and he also enjoyed it. I was really taken aback by that because he was *extremely* critical of the first batch of episodes and wasn't even going to watch this one. As he put it (paraphrasing) - "it was like a 'last man on earth' journey. Come to think of it, I'd rather that Fox sitcom of that title was more like this episode and not the silliness it was".

16. Vendikarr

Vendikarr New Member

Feb 24, 2004
    Yea that really bugged me. He was taller than her. Once he got to his feet he could have rushed her and knocked her down. Instead he lets her chase him off and steal all his stuff.

He should have knocked her down, picked up his stuff, and taken her bat for good measure.

17. danielhart

danielhart Nerp Nerp

Apr 27, 2004
    But.....but.....but.....

He's a.....

:eek::eek::eek:DRUG ADDICT!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

18. danielhart

danielhart Nerp Nerp

Apr 27, 2004
    ftr this was one of my favorite eps...

although i would have snagged that bat from angry Mexican chick and gotten my backpack of supplies imo.

19. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    They need love too :D

20. danielhart

danielhart Nerp Nerp

Apr 27, 2004
    Lol in case it wasn't obvious I was playing off of gerryex's post (which struck me as kinda bizzare)

Also ftr I'm a chemical dependency nurse at a treatment center.