FCC Repack - No Guide Data

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by CraigAR, May 8, 2019.

1. May 8, 2019 #1 of 14
    CraigAR

CraigAR New Member

Nov 23, 2017
    I live in the Houston, Texas area and several of our local stations are moving frequencies as mandated by the FCC repack declaration (e.g. 57.1-KUBE, 57.4-COZI, 57.7-THIS). My two TiVo Roamio OTA units have no problem locking onto the new frequencies when I perform a simple channel rescan. The new frequencies are displayed with the same channel numbers and call signs in my channel list and are indicated with an asterisk in front of the newly reassigned channel number.

My problem is that, while I can receive the relocated channels perfectly, there is no guide data so I cannot schedule recordings or even know what is currently on-air (without using Zap2It on my phone or PC). The guide data is there for the original channel location, which of course has no signal reception, but not for the relocated frequency of the same channel.

Does anyone know if TiVo engineers are aware of this situation and, if so, do they have any idea when a software update might be pushed to all TiVo devices to correct this issue?

2. May 8, 2019 #2 of 14
    pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Teeps likes this.
  3. May 8, 2019 #3 of 14
    V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    TiVo of course is very aware of the FCC repack, but they seem to do absolutely nothing about updating the channel lineups for these changes until some user actually reports is as a problem. In a major metro area like yours, SOMEONE will do that, and you will eventually see it fixed. In more rural areas, like mine, ain't nothin' gonna happen unless I do the reporting myself! I have been waiting on the update for four stations that moved frequencies here over a week ago. No way of knowing just how long it will take for them to do something.

I suggest you go to the TiVo Linup page to report the problem ASAP. Here is the link: Report a Lineup Issue
    There is no real place on that form to report a frequency change, so just pick something and fill in what you can, then explain the whole thing in the comments section. Make sure to tell them the display channel number, station call sign, and both the old transmit channel frequency and the new transmit channel frequency.

4. May 8, 2019 #4 of 14
    Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Didn't have a problem here after the "repack."
    And, I didn't have to rescan the channels on my Roamio base on OTA.

Locals over cable were not affected.

5. May 8, 2019 #5 of 14
    Lurker1

Lurker1 Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2004
    I had several stations change frequencies here on the same day, but TiVo corrected each of them on different days. The first was corrected 2 days later, and the last 6 days later.

I have to wonder why TiVo prefers to sort through hundreds of duplicate problem reports from angry customers after the fact, rather than proactively keeping up with the FCC repack schedule.

6. May 8, 2019 #6 of 14
    CraigAR

CraigAR New Member

Nov 23, 2017
    pfiagra, V7Goose, Teeps, and Lurker1 - Thank you so much for your quick replies and the links provided. I have tried contacting TiVo directly through their support pages a few times over my close to twenty years owning TiVos of every generation and have never once received an answer - I always had to call into support which was also a waste of time. That's why I love these forums where great people like you guys are always quick to provide answers to just about any issue. Thanks again! V7Goose, I am reporting the issue at the link you provided as soon as I post this reply.

7. May 8, 2019 #7 of 14
    V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    After you submit a lineup issue, you should get an email with the problem number for reference. You can also go to TiVo.com and sign into your account, then select My Support to see all the problems you have ever submitted, and the current status. You won't be able to see the original problem text (other than the title), but you can review any updates from either a TiVo rep or yourself. I monitor any open problem closely for an update so that I can jump on it if they ask for more info or decide to just close it with no action (happens quite often!). If you call TiVo customer non-support, they SHOULD open a problem for your call, and if they do, it will show up in the same list. If you do not see a new problem after a call, then you know for a fact that the BOZO you spoke with just ignored you.

And here is a tip specific to using the Lineup problem form: Sometimes it does NOT submit any problem at all! The only way you will know if that happened is if you do not get a confirmation email or there is no new problem on the top of the list at My Support. I have found that when this starts happening, the form will NEVER work for you again on that same computer UNLESS you delete all your TiVo cookies in your browser! Note that I use Firefox, so I do not know if that same problem happens with other browsers or not, but I have seen it start several times for me on three different computers. It is almost like TiVo is doing something to block you from being able to submit any more problems?! Clearing cookies always fixes it.

8. Jun 1, 2019 #8 of 14
    JohnS-MI

JohnS-MI Active Member

Jan 25, 2014
    SE MI
    Thanks for posting the link and guidance on using the slightly inapplicable form.

9. Jun 4, 2019 #9 of 14
    babsonnexus

babsonnexus Active Member

Jan 13, 2016
    I live in a mid-sized market and it's like we live out in the deep woods by TiVO standards! To everyone I would suggest if you notice it, submit the ticket, don't wait on anyone else!

On the good front, once you submit the ticket and they actually parse it to the correct team, they are good at resolving it. You just have to go through the idiot hoops!

10. Kenny661

Kenny661 New Member

Dec 11, 2017
    I'm sorry but Tivo does not give a crap about this issue. I have had issue with a few channels a couple of months ago and still didn't get any solution from Tivo except do the Repeat Guide Setup for the 500th time. The Guide is mapped to the Channels frequency not Call Letter. Most of my Channel listing has the Channel ID and old frequency and Channel ID and new frequency marked (*). These will not load any guide data making the DVR useless except as a door stop.
    The Call ID’s are not changing. Tivo’s Guide mapping pulls in the info by frequency not ID’s. When I do a scan for new channels
    The Channel ID is added with its new frequency. Like WTTO -21 Was frequency 28 is now New frequency 21. In the Channel listing its show the old WTTO 21 Frequency 28 and New WTTO 21 Frequency 21 (*) This new frequency is not Loading guide info for WTTO 21 and therefore makes it not recordable.
    I have had this issue for several months with no solution. This is going to get worse if this is not fixed. This FCC Repack is mandatory for most
    Broadcasters with frequency higher than 36 I believe.

11. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    sorry to hear your guide issues still aren't resolved, i know it's frustrating.

have you tried completing the online form? a phone call should work, but many users are completing the form themselves with remarkable success:

also, here's a link to the main repack thread, it includes posts of experiences with correcting the guide data by completing the form (as long as the local stations are responsive, tivo cannot make the change by customer request alone, the stations must confirm the move):

good luck!

12. Kenny661

Kenny661 New Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Yes I've gone through that with no result. The frequency change is the issue. Not the Call Letter and Channel ID number If itsa mandate by the FCC, station should not have to confirm the move. I don't understand why My SiliconDust HomeRunHD Tuner has no issue finding the channels and displaying the correct guide after a couple of minutes. Like the CW locally changed this weekend from frequency 28 to 21. Now I can't record anything on that Channel due to no info. Yes I can tune to it but so does my TV. DVR's are to record not just watch.

13. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I had a 'guide' issue with Xfinity after being gone for 13 months. My guide still showed channels that Xfinity had dropped. Running guided set-up wouldn't correct it. I didn't want to do a 'clear & delete all' so I went back to very basics and ran guided set-up using 00000 as a zip-code. I was presented many - of course none were correct so I chose 'none' - reconnected and chose my zip-code and then I was able to correct the 'guide' using info from drop-down. What would happen with an OTA channel scan? No idea.

14. Kenny661

Kenny661 New Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Guide data is provided by Tivo or who ever does the meta data for them. We pay them either by lifetime subscription or monthly subscription to provide us a program guide. It should not be the customers job to do what they are paid by Tivo subscribers to do.