FCC approves basic TV encryption

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by innocentfreak, Oct 14, 2012.

1. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida

Advertisements

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-12/cable-operators-can-fight-theft-by-encrypting-signals-fcc-rules.html

Bloomberg is reporting that late Friday the FCC granted encryption to the basic tier. Say goodbye to working clearqam tuners on any device that doesn't support modern CableCARDs and isn't connected to OTA.

http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/comment/view?id=6017114106

Some Good Some Bad FCC Basic Tier Encryption

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    So this means CableCards will be free now, right? Right? No? :mad:

3. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Nope and most likely you will have to qualify for the free adapters which I believe they are only required to offer for 2 years.

They probably also won't update the digital rules that require TVs to come with tuners that now won't be usable without OTA.

EDIT: posted the offset above. We might be able to get 1 free CableCARD for a year from notice.

4. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    No, and the worst of it is that the FCC just rolled over and said 'sure, you can encrypt everything!' without also saying 'but before you do that, you need to come up with an IP-based standard for TV delivery' to replace the damn cards. AllVid, in other words. Cable got everything they wanted (no more need for traps to stop theft, ability to impose outlet fees on every TV), we got nothing.

And the DTAs are no longer free on Comcast at least, and I'd bet the upcoming HD DTAs will be $5/mo. or so each. Goodbye, clear QAM tuners built into every TV.

This stuff happens because it's all too easy to roll from being an FCC commish to being head of gov't relations at Comcast.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

Has there been any word on when some of the cable companies will start encrypting the local channels?

6. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I believe you are wrong on this. I think at least the big 6 have to rollout an IP solution before encryption begins.

Boxee seems happy with the results so I believe it is required.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/14/fcc-to-allow-encryption-of-basic-cable-with-a-few-strings-that/

7. NotNowChief

NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    English please.

Am I going to need any extra/additional equipment on any TVs that currently have cable boxes or cable cards?

Am I going to be charged more for what I am currently using and am happy with?

8. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    No. This is a non-issue for CableCARD equipped boxes or set top boxes provided by the cable operator. Its only an issue if you have a TV connected directly via coax to clear QAM. For TiVo this is really a don't care -- hence the reason you didn't see TiVo provide any comments to the FCC on this matter.

Nope.

9. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Why would / should they institute regulations to allow people to not have CableCards when the intent from the very outset (20 years ago) was for every person to have a CableCard?

Cable companies (at least the major ones) have not used traps for years. It was a goofy and frail technology from the get-go.

They have always been able to do that. In the early days, most did. Few, other than Comcast, do it these days, however.

10. NotNowChief

NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    Well, this renders the QAM tuners useless for non-OTA customers. I know with FiOs, if you have a QAM tuner TV, you will get basic channels without equipment, even in HD. TWC even gets you the basic chanels, although they dont come up where they are supposed to.

A bummer for my unused rooms that are connected "just because".

Of course, many TiVo customers will now undoubtedly grab a TiVo Mini if they manage to get them to market before 2025.

11. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I know this will have a big negative effect on my father's house. He has one TV hooked up to DirecTV. This TV and all the rest, 5 I think, use basic cable from Brighthouse since he didn't want a box in the other rooms. He also has it for a backup when DirecTV loses signal.

I don't know what he will end up doing for those other rooms.

12. Aero 1

Aero 1 Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
    man, i am so glad i went ota/streaming only 2 years ago and that i dont have to deal with all these headaches anymore.

people who had extra, seldom watched tv's had a good variety of channels without extra gear. now they have to pay a monthly price (after the free year is over) just to let it sit there.

this is going to go over well with the old people. my parents in law, whos lives revolve around watching tv 24 hours a day, are pissed that cablevision in nj encrypted everything last month and now in 11 months, they have to pay $7 a month to watch tv in their kitchen.....because that's all they do.

cutting this hassle was a great move. all major ota channels and more, tivo, and streaming services has been a 100% replacement.

13. Len McRiddles

Len McRiddles New Member

Dec 21, 2002
    U.S.S.A

Amen brother. I cut the cord in 2009.

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I would love to cut the cord. But it would cost me much more if I did to get the same programs I'm watching now.

15. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    True, but from what I read the mandate is only for 3 years, then cable can ditch it and leave everyone hanging.

And it doesn't address what I said, a standard to replace the damn cards, which is what AllVid was supposed to be about.

16. ghuido

ghuido New Member

May 8, 2007
    To be clear, they won't just start encrypting so that MRV (Copy) will no longer work on TIVO HD that don't have stream capability?

17. Aero 1

Aero 1 Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
    you never know, they might.

18. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No, that's not the same thing. That's done via a flag and is independent of the encryption. There is still a rule in place that requires the cable companies not to flag local channels. Everything else has always been fair game even if it wasn't encrypted.

Dan