Fastest way to transfer TV programs from an old Tivo to a new Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Drew1990, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Drew1990

Drew1990 New Member

Jun 15, 2009

Advertisements

I have a 3T Roamio Pro and a Premiere (2-tuner type).

The Premiere has a 500GB internal drive and a 1T external drive.

What is the fastest way to transfer the TV programs from the Premiere to the Roamio? I'd like to retire the Premiere, but it has lots of programs I'd like to keep (football games, etc).

When I use the Premiere's Wireless G adapter to transfer a program to the Roamio, it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r. Surely there's a faster way?

Thanks!

I can't help but think this question has been asked previously, but I didn't see it when I did a search.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Ethernet should get you about 60Mbs. Check Network Settings/Network Troubleshooting/File Transfer History. The Premiere has a 100Mbs port.

Drew1990 likes this.
  3. Drew1990

Drew1990 New Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Thanks for the ethernet suggestion. I currently have a MoCA setup. There is a (live) ethernet cable in that room (coming through the floor) I could use, but it's not hooked to my modem (which is in another part of the house).

It would be great if I could just join the two Tivos together with a single cable, and transfer the programs that way. (Of course, you can't do that with computers either.)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  4. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    You used to be able to connect two TiVo's with a crossover cable. Found this on TiVo.com, not sure if it still works with the newer TiVo's and software versions.

Tivo Customer Support Community

Drew1990 likes this.
  5. Drew1990

Drew1990 New Member

Jun 15, 2009

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies / suggestions! I was able to transfer the programs from the Premiere to the Roamio quickly using an ethernet connection. (If that didn't work, I was going to try the crossover option to connect the two Tivos directly.)

I've always used a MoCA connection for TiVO (w/ a Wireless G adapter for Premiere), so connecting via ethernet was something new. It was easy, except I had to purchase a 25-ft ethernet cable ... which was surprisingly cheap!

Now that I'm done transferring the old programs, should I disconnect the ethernet and go back to using a MoCA connection on the Roamio? Is the MoCA the better, faster connection for recording Fios cable programs?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 1:40 PM