Fastest way to go from DVD to TiVo with burned-in subtitles?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by pmiranda, Mar 22, 2012.

1. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    PyTiVo with the DVD plugin works fantastically well for playing back DVD's that I've ripped (or even just stick in the drive on my computer... I hate Powerdvd that much!)... until I hit a DVD that has subtitles.

I've searched and gone around in circles for hours over the last few years but never come across a program that lets me burn in the subtitles to a MPEG-2 file in just a few clicks of a button. There are several that will write a .mkv file and go to H.264, but I don't want to spend 3 hours encoding and then another half hour converting back to MPEG-2 to pull it onto TiVo... I just want a quick and clean process to go from VOB to MPEG-2 with subtitles.

Any suggestions? The closest I've found is Handbrake, which will actually output to MPEG-2, but it can only output an mkv or m4v file that PyTiVo seems to choke on. (Other mkv's seem to work fine, but I suspect ffmpeg is confused by getting MPEG-2 in that container?)

2. Iluvatar

Iluvatar New Member

Jul 22, 2006
    I tested the MPG2 in a MP4 container made by handbrake and FFmpeg does spew out buffer under run errors however the file IS watchable on the TiVo. pyTivo is doing a stream copy on the video and aac->ac3 on audio. What errors are you seeing?

There either something about a mpeg2 stream inside a MP4 container that it doesn't like or something specific about the Handbrake encode. I'm not sure which. Forcing a full re-encode of the file worked just fine. I could put some sort of check in my pyTivo fork for non h264 video inside video/mp4 mimetype files to force encode the video but I'm hesitant to do so as I'm not certain whether FFmpeg is barfing because of the streamtype/container or the encode specific to Handbrake. I'll just have to test more.

As to suggestions for subtitles, Handbrake is all that I would have recommended. I'm on OS X and not aware of what is good for Windows.

3. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Hmm... I'll have to get some time to debug this further... when I just enter the file in the NPL on TiVo (before I even try to transfer it) I lose the whole share, so there's nothing to see from the TiVo side.

4. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I could be wrong, but isn't Handbrake capable of creating an h.264 video in a .mp4 container that is TiVo compatible? The added advantages there are smaller size and *MUCH* faster transfers on the S3 or especially the THD.

5. Iluvatar

Iluvatar New Member

Jul 22, 2006
    It does. I would certainly recommend that route also.

6. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Yep, Handbrake is really meant for creating h.264 encoded output... but that takes an order of magnitude more time than just burning in subtitles into an mpeg-2 encoded stream.
    Edit: (I have plenty of disk space, so all I care about is the time from putting a disc in, to when I can watch it on the TiVo with the best possible quality.)

7. txporter

txporter One sec, almost done

Sep 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    This isn't really true. Transcoding to H.264/mp4 doesn't have to take any longer than to MPEG2/mpg. I can pull together a walk-through on how to use HCenc with avisynth to do what you are asking for (MPEG2 with burned in subs). I used to do this. I transcode everything to H.264/mp4 using x264 and avisynth now though.

8. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    I'm not a big fan of subtitles, but you might want to try Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate. http://www.aimersoft.com/ They have a trial verion so you can test drive it. I use it to convert wmv and dvds to mpeg in order to move to Tivo using tivo desktop. I selected the english subtitles from the black wswan dvd and it burned them in (meaning that the subtitles are there and you can't turn them off or on using tivo)

Edit to include information on discount since this software is not free or cheap:

If this works for you and you decide to buy it, I got it for 52% off by using a coupon code and purchase link at this site :http://www.softwarediscounts.org/di...verter-ultimate-for-windows-with-50-discount/

I found it using google and it was working a week ago. Aimersoft took over a company called Daniusoft. I had a free version of the Daniusoft converter I used that I had got from giveawayoftheday before my hard drive crashed and I had to reinstall windows.

9. Gavroche

Gavroche Member

May 26, 2007
    State of...
    DVDFab can do this.