1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faster recording transfers

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by EdwPowers, Jul 3, 2018.

1. EdwPowers

EdwPowers Member

Apr 14, 2002
    Merritt...
    I have a TiVoDT with many recordings that I would like to transfer to a Roamio so I can retire it. I am currently using WiFi to make the transfers. If I were to move the TiVoDT closer to the Roamio and connect them directly to each other with a network cable, would I get faster transfers?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Possibly. How slow are they? See Network, Network Troubleshooting, Transfer History. A basic Roamio wired may get 93Mbps to another Roamio. The Plus and Pro are faster. Wired is usually faster in any situation. Just buy a long cable.

3. EdwPowers

EdwPowers Member

Apr 14, 2002
    Merritt...
    A big part of my problem is that one is a TiVoDT with only a TiVo G wireless adapter.I think I have sped it up a little. The TiVoDT is in the same room as my router so it is now using Ethernet. The Roamio is still using WiFi.

I hope this is a one-time project so I am trying to avoid buying anything to complete it. The TiVoDT no longer records anything so I can easily move it to where ever is convenient. But I do no want to disrupt the recording ability of the Roamio.

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It would be best to wire both boxes to your router. The WiFi of a basic Roamio sucks.

Have you checked your transfer rate yet?

Here's something to consider: 10Mbps will be real time for HD content. 90Mbps will be 10 minutes for 60 minutes of HD content. A basic Roamio WiFi is about 45Mbps.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  5. EdwPowers

EdwPowers Member

Apr 14, 2002
    Merritt...
    I was getting only .6Mbps. After connecting my TiVoDT via Ethernet, it jumped to 6Mbps. I could tolerate that as nost of the recordings are non-HD 30 minute shows with commercials removed, less than 250 Mb each.

To put my Roamio on Ethernet, it would involve buying a very long cable or going through a wall. The hole hole would be hidden but still something I don't look forward to doing.

Now my problem is the transfers have paused even though there are more queued.

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Most people find that a transfer of 5 to 10 at one time is suggested.