Fast Forward/Rewind on PC?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by jshawl, Jul 27, 2007.

1. jshawl

jshawl New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    I just got TiVo ToGo working last night, and it's pretty cool being able to view shows from my laptop (a PC). But... the rewind/fast forward buttons are greyed out. I checked the help files and all it said is that this action isn't supported in Win Media Player for all file types.

So my question, can we really not rewind/fast forward? If not, that's incredibly frustrating for an otherwise highly convenient way to watch shows. And if not, is this going to be fixed anytime soon?

Thanks!

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    This is a WMP problem. For some reason it wont allow FF/RW of MPEG files, which is essentially what TTG files are. You can still skip around using the slider bar however. Or if you want you could just avoid the commercials altogether by getting a copy of VideoReDo and editing them out. :)

Dan

3. jshawl

jshawl New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Thanks for the info!!

Unfortunately, when I try to use the slider, it goes back to the beginning of the show every time which is even more frustrating. Doesn't matter if I click on it or attempt to slide it.

For editing out commercials, is it a really quick process? It's not something that's important enough to me to spend any amount of time on (like more than 60 secs...).

Anyone know if this problem with WMP will be fixed?

4. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    VideoReDo has an automatic commercial scan feature that will find the commercials for you. So all you'd have to do is cut them out and save the file. (it's a quick editor, so it does not need to reencode the video) Not sure if it could do everything in less then 60 seconds, but possibly if you have a fast PC.

As for the slider... Slider functionality is dependent on the codec being used to decode the video. If you upgrade to TiVo Desktop Plus ($25) then you get a codec which is capable of slider control and is always used for TiVo files regardless of other installations. As it is now Windows chooses the codec using a merit system, which can be changed by any program that feels it's codec is more important then the other codecs on your system. TD Plus get around this by specifically requesting a specific codec every time a .tivo file is played. The TD Plus upgrade also offers a few other features. For example it like crops off the top few pixels of the video to get rid of the black and white flashing noise some videos have, it enables the automatic conversion system that allows you to convert TiVo files to portable formats (like for iPods, etc...) and it enables you to transfer MPEG4 video from your PC to your TiVo without having to convert it to MPEG2 manually first.

Dan

5. jshawl

jshawl New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    So I downloaded VideoReDo, and ran Ad Detective and saved the file (took 12 mins but that's not my time it's the software so don't really care). However, when I went to play the file, it was only 15 mins of an hour long show.

I looked at the video in VideoReDo, and it did screw up some of the breaks so there was about 5 mins of show time that was removed. I fixed that, but it's still saving only the first 15 mins (minus commercials) of the show.

Any idea how to fix this? I know *nothing* about video editing (and really don't want to beyond getting rid of the commercials) so don't even know what to look for here. The breaks look fine, but it's not saving properly and the help file isn't all that helpful...

(btw, the output in the VideoReDo screen says it is 37 mins... but clearly I'm not saving that much)

Thanks!!

6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    By default an unlicensed version of VideoReDo will only output 15 minutes of video regardless of the sources length. For full functionality you need to request a trial key. That can be done via the menu item on the Help menu.

Dan

7. jshawl

jshawl New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Ah, thanks!!

I upgrated to TD Plus, but still don't have the slider when I view a show. Is there a specific setting I need to select?

Thanks!!

8. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    What version of Windows Media Player are you using. In version 11 the slider button only shows up when you hover over the spot where it would be. (i.e. at the end of the progressing blue bar)

Dan

9. jshawl

jshawl New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Version 10