Fast Forward commands sluggish after update

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by barrett14, Dec 14, 2015.

1. barrett14

barrett14 New Member

Aug 20, 2013

Advertisements

After the latest software update, my Roamio Plus is extremely laggy/sluggish when I issue fast forward commands for recorded content as well as re-winding live content. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I have tried re-setting the box.

Thanks

2. merowe

merowe New Member

Jan 6, 2002
    I am seeing this as well.. 2-5 second pause before fast forward (or rewind) commences. When I hit play, the sound comes in, goes out for a second, then comes in again. I feel like it might be an HDMI handshake battle, but could be wrong...

I was hoping it'd go away after a week, but hasn't.. I have done a reboot.

I do pass the Tivo through my Xbox one. I have yet to try bypassing the xbox to see if that fixes it.

Everything else works perfectly fine..

Anyone have any ideas? If you figure anything out, please let me know! I'll probably be calling Tivo soon..

BTW - I have the Basic Tivo Roamio

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  3. LSpera

LSpera New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Same here.. I also have a delay rewinding. I am also going through an XBOX One.

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Feeding through the Xbox One seems to be the common point with users having this issue. Reporting that to TiVo would be important.

I'm not seeing it feeding either directly via HDMI to the TV or using component through our Onkyo receiver.

Scott

5. sjam613

sjam613 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    New Milford, CT

Advertisements

Having major issues since the update with the same thing and feeding through Xbox.

6. jcole66

jcole66 New Member

Sep 15, 2003
    District of...
    Add me to the list of horrible sluggish delays FF & Rewinding on my Roamio Pro feeding thru my Xbox One. My Mini's don't experience the problem at all.
    This is the first thread I've seen about this issue and thought it might just be me.
    In the 14 years (or so) of owning a TiVo this is the first time the performance has been so horrible that I actually dread FF'ing shows and using my TiVo. This certainly needs to be addressed!

7. barrett14

barrett14 New Member

Aug 20, 2013
    I am feeding through the Xbox one as well.

8. barrett14

barrett14 New Member

Aug 20, 2013
    I started a support chat with Tivo to make them aware of this problem, and of this thread. Here is a quote from the chat.

9. philwojo

philwojo Member

May 16, 2004
    Sw burbs of...
    Forgive my ignorance, but why do you even hook it up through an xbox one any way?

Phil

10. yamahacolorado

yamahacolorado New Member

Oct 1, 2013
    I have the same issue with going through a XBOX One after the update. I going to bypass and see what happens. I will try a mini in It's place also.

We passthroug an Xbox one to use the TV integration. We can use the Xbox guide to control the tv, watch tv while playing a game etc.... Also it keeps from having to switch HDMI inputs.

11. sjam613

sjam613 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    New Milford, CT
    The Mini I have is having no issues only the Roamio going through the Xbox for me.

12. sjam613

sjam613 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    New Milford, CT
    Sorry to add but the Mini was updated a few months ago where the Roamio was within the last week.

13. jcole66

jcole66 New Member

Sep 15, 2003
    District of...
    While I understand TiVo's stance that going thru Xbox One is an 'unsupported setup', this configuration has worked perfectly for me for over 3 years since getting the Xbox One. I've NEVER had any issues like this before. It only started upon the latest TiVo software update. Lets hope TiVo can figure it out and correct it.

14. Seeg

Seeg New Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Same issues for me running through Xbox. Worked fine before update.

15. ck2875

ck2875 New Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Also running through the Xbox One.

Turning off Dolby Audio on the TiVo fixed the fast forwarding issues for me.

I'm still having a cubic ton of issues with the TiVo not waking up properly.

16. sjam613

sjam613 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    New Milford, CT
    Hmmm just taking a stab but if turning off Dolby did it maybe there is a bug with a sound conflict with Xbox.

17. sjam613

sjam613 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    New Milford, CT
    I just did the Dolby thing and am no longer having the issue.

18. gigaguy

gigaguy Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Sluggish FF here too but I had just hooked up my new Roamio Pro that week so I thought it could be the Tivo itself. It was also having major tuning drops and lags so TWC talked me into thinking I needed a new cablecard so they are sending that out. It seems better now but I haven't used it enough to fully test. Too many variables at once, new Tivo, new sw update and channel tuning issues all at once. I didn't think an update could effect playback or channels tuning...

19. wolfskinbjc

wolfskinbjc Member

Apr 16, 2010
    yep, same issue here with Xbox one, also in the preview program, and have horrible rrw, ff issues....is this tivo or xbox one problem?

EDIT, turned of dolby digital on tivo, problem went away... weird.

20. biosehnsucht

biosehnsucht New Member

Feb 23, 2005
    I also am having this problem. If disabling DD fixes it, then that's a temp fix, but not having surround sound for TV viewing is not gonna fly long term.

We're not in the Xbox preview program, so Xbox didn't break it (it was fine after latest Xbox dashboard update). Near as we can tell, the issue started as soon as we got the latest Tivo update.

In addition to what others said, if you have Kinect you can use "Xbox, pause", "Xbox, Watch Cartoon Network", and similar commands.

Once you've gone voice control, you never want to go back. Voice controlling tivo is as much more convenient* vs normal tivo as normal tivo is vs crappy DVRs.

* When it works. Which will vary by your room situation (acoustics), Kinect calibration, your voice (pitch as well as inflection / accent), ... it works perfect in the media room, but only works okay in the downstairs living room which has horrible acoustics and hard surfaces everywhere (stone / wood). But it'll usually hear you by the time you can get to the remote...