Fast Forward Auto Correct

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TaterTot24, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Oct 1, 2007 #1 of 32
    TaterTot24

TaterTot24 TiVo Addict!

Aug 26, 2007
    Memphis, TN

Advertisements

First off, I have tried to search for information regarding this issue, but I have not yet found relevant information.

About 10 days ago, I switch from a Series 2 TiVo to the new Tivo-HD and I have been very happy with my upgrade. My Series 2 box was even a single-tuner model, so I am really happy to have dual-tuners now.

However, my wife and I have noticed something that is driving us both absolutely crazy. The new TiVo-HD definitely has a shorter auto correct when fast forwarding than the Series 2 that we previously owned. You guys know what I am talking about… the feature that automatically rewinds a couple of seconds after you hit the play button when in full fast forward.

It is really annoying that we have been use to the Series 2 auto correct for the past few years and it seems like they have changed it in this new model. I have even tried to anticipate the new correction, but I still end up missing it. So I am not sure if there is even the ability for us to "just get use to it".

There has to be someone else out there that has noticed this issue. Has it been discussed?

Please tell me that my wife and I are not crazy… There has got to be a way to set the amount of time that it jumps back after coming out of a full fast forward. Is it programmable, something similar to the 30-second skip?

2. Oct 1, 2007 #2 of 32
    wdwms

wdwms Member

Jan 10, 2003
    I didn't notice a shorter auto-correct when going from my S1 to S3; It may seem a bit shorter due to the increased "jumpiness" of the S3 FF and REW functions.

However the rewind auto correct on the S3 drives me nuts... Most of the time I rewind, press play and come back to the same spot I started rewinding from!

As far as I know there are no places to change this setting.. :(

3. Oct 2, 2007 #3 of 32
    TaterTot24

TaterTot24 TiVo Addict!

Aug 26, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    I read about some problems with the Series 3, but I was not sure if the THD had the same kind of problems...

4. Oct 2, 2007 #4 of 32
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    What software version do you have on your new TivoHD? A number of members on this forum have complained about the trickplay functions in 9.1.

5. Oct 2, 2007 #5 of 32
    hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...

Advertisements

Have you tried 30 sec skip? I use that and rarely need FF.
    Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select, is a toggle to turn it on and off.

6. Oct 2, 2007 #6 of 32
    TaterTot24

TaterTot24 TiVo Addict!

Aug 26, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    I have the 8.1.7c and after a couple of more days -- I am 100% sure that there is a difference.

Yeah a couple of years ago I tried that. I just do not like it. I would rather use the fast forward....

Anybody going to agree with me on this one?

7. Oct 2, 2007 #7 of 32
    hastypete

hastypete Member

Oct 2, 2007
    I've done it both ways. It seems awkward at first to use the skip method, but after some practice (a day or two) you can skip commercials with incredible accuracy in about 5 seconds. I could never get it that quick with ffd method.

The trick is to immediatly start skipping as soon as you see a commercial break. Skip 6 times right away. Then one at a time add another skip. If you see the station identification, stop, the show will be back in a second or two. if you end up in the show, immediately skip back until you get to beginning. if you see commercial, skip forward again.

I've found that 6 or 8 skips gets it real close nearly every time.

The drawback is that you don't get to see what commercials are on like you do when you are scanning. Actually, that may not be a drawback.

8. Oct 2, 2007 #8 of 32
    ScorpioATL

ScorpioATL New Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    okay thanks for posting this because I noticed it too and thought I was going crazy, or at least was loosing my response time compared to my series 2. I've never gotten used to the 30 second skip since often I sit through half a commercial before I remember I don't need to watch them... then FF'ing I have to do too many corrections because of it not going back to play where I expect.

9. Oct 2, 2007 #9 of 32
    Okeemike

Okeemike Tastes like lemons

Apr 24, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    It's my understanding that the auto-correct jump back will 'learn' over time. If this is the case, then perhaps it will improve with a couple of weeks of use?

I think it was this learning capability that initially kept this feature out of the DTV HD DVR. (but I might also just be listening to the voices in my head again)

10. icatar

icatar Member

Apr 10, 2003
    Norwalk, CT
    Me too. I thought I was losing my reflexes in my old age. Glad I'm not the only one! :eek:

11. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The auto-correct does not change. It does not learn.

However, with practice, the user does. :)

12. Royster

Royster Beardy

May 24, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I've been using my S3 for about a year and I'm a longtime S1 user. The FF correct on the S3 just sucks when compared to the S1. There's no other word for it. Lots of time, I FF too far and rewind back to get the beginning of the segment, but when I hit play, it jumps back to where I FFed from. I have to do it several times, each time going back a litle further, until I get it to "stick".

I don;t know what they thought they were improving, but they certainly screwed it up.

13. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I have both a S2 (six years) and S3 (one year). In general I have not noticed any differences between the two units for the FF auto-correct, except in two instances:

1. I always had very jumpy correction on the FFx2 and FFx3 on the S3 until I noticed that it was only a problem on HD 720P shows. I changed my output to 1080i Fixed and it went away and all has been fine, until

2. Now that I have 9.1 the FFx2 and FFx3 does not restart properly when you press play to end it. It freezes for one second on a frame before it auto-corrects. This allows you to view a frame many seconds ahead of your restart point. Not good when watching a baseball game. This also happens when I use the IR button.

14. fritolayguy

fritolayguy Science, bitches

Oct 31, 2002
    Liberty, MO.
    I'm glad that it's not just me as well. I thought I had lost my FF skills. On my Series 1 and Series 2 I can nail the beginning of a show or return from commercial about 99 out of 100 times. I agree that this is the one "feature" of the S3 that sucks.... :eek:

15. CCourtney

CCourtney Member

Mar 28, 2006
    El Dorado...
    I personally feel the TiVo HD's Jump Back Post FF is perfect. I hit within a few sec's of my show 95% of the time. I do agree that the RW jumpback is a bit too touch at the low speeds when you're wanting to go back just a little bit. With that you can use the Jump Back button instead though.

My Sony DHG-HDD500 had the jump back feature with programmable amounts to jump back. I found the TiVo HD to be about evenly matched with how I had set up the Sony DHG.

As far as the 30sec skip. I can't really stand it. I had it on the Sony DHG-HDD500 and I never used it (actually it was programmable to something like 5, 15, 30, 90, 300 sec's if I recall right.)

I tried it for a while on both the Sony and the TiVo HD, but it was quicker after the fine adjustments that needed to be made to catch the beginning of where it came back to show to use the FF w/ Jumpback.

CCourtney

16. TaterTot24

TaterTot24 TiVo Addict!

Aug 26, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Okay, so at least I know that there is a problem.

Now all I need is a solution that does not involve the skip-button....

17. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    The major difference between the S3 and the S2 (assuming you are using digital cable or OTA HD channels with the S3) is that the S2 creates it's own MPEG2 video stream while the S3 just records the MPEG2 video stream as is.

Because the S2 records it's own stream, it knows the exact format that the stream is (ie: how many keyframes per second, how many i-frames, how many b-frames, etc). This allows the TiVo to accurately jump around the video stream.

The S3's video streams can have a variety of different formats, even though they are all MPEG-2 format. In addition HD will have a different format than SD. Finally glitches in the video stream can throw the TiVo off. All these things together can make the seeking less reliable in the S3 than the S2, depending on the program source.

I'm not saying seeking problems can't be caused by bugs in the TiVo software, I'm just saying that there are a lot more variables in the S3, than the S2 (making problems more likely).

18. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    I wasn't aware that you could use this to toggle 30 second skip OFF. Maybe I will try it...

It takes over the skip-to-tick button, right?

19. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Other way 'round ... we learn... :)

20. Doit2it

Doit2it Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Maybe it's just me. I've only had my TivoHD for 2 weeks. When I first started using it I noticed it had almost no autocorrection on FF. I even tried the CEC code (can't remember which) to toggle autocorrect on and off. TivoHD just bonged at me. I didn't notice any difference. I did it twice, to retoggle, just in case. After the 9.1 update it seems to be back to normal (at least same as it was on my S2 80hr DT).